AT&T to impose bandwidth cap.

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/13/atandt-will-cap-dsl-u-verse-internet-and-impose-overage-fees/

AT&T will implement a 150GB monthly cap on landline DSL customers and a 250GB cap on subscribers to U-Verse high speed internet starting on May 2nd. AT&T will also charge overage fees of $10 for every additional 50GB of data, with two grace periods to start out
Guess my friends with AT&T will stop bragging now. This is WORSE than Comcast's cap, which is 250GB, and 2 warnings, but you don't have to pay over-charge fees if you go over, you get a warning if you go over 50GB of the cap, if you go over twice within 6 months, you get shut out for a year, but it's pretty easy to manage a little under 300GB a month. :p

But man...AT&T is slower than Comcast, charges more, and now has a cap, too. So Har har.

Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/13/atandt-will-cap-dsl-u-verse-internet-and-impose-overage-fees/

Guess my friends with AT&T will stop bragging now. This is WORSE than Comcast's cap, which is 250GB, and 2 warnings, but you don't have to pay over-charge fees if you go over, you get a warning if you go over 50GB of the cap, if you go over twice within 6 months, you get shut out for a year, but it's pretty easy to manage a little under 300GB a month. :p

But man...AT&T is slower than Comcast, charges more, and now has a cap, too. So Har har.
NOOOOOOOEEES!!

I use At&t. :(

Why did they put on caps now of all times, when Internet has become ingrained into the American way of life.

Does not compute.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
NOOOOOOOEEES!!

I use At&t. :(

Why did they put on caps now of all times, when Internet has become ingrained into the American way of life.

Does not compute.
It's because the internet has become so ingrained into our lives. If you don't want to live without it, you'll pay up, regardless of how unjustified the costs are.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Which would be like 200 bucks to cancel your contract, followed by whatever expenses necessary to complete the transition. And that's if there actually is another internet provider near you, which isn't always the case. Long ago, I wanted to get Comcast, but I couldn't get it because their lines were across the street. Verizon owned my side of the street, so I got Earthlink instead.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
one year contract based providers are so 2005.

There really isn't a place in the Netherlands were you don't have more then one choice of providers. I suggest you migrate

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I have a 2 year contract with Verizon (cell phone purposes), and my story was from 2001. Also, shrooms are illegal in the Netherlands, which takes away the only reason why I'd go there.

Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I currently pay $14.99/month for 3Mbps with one year contract. I cannot find a single provider that offers that fast internet for that less.

I don't care how stupid their customer service is, AT&T is full of win.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Caps should have stayed dead. Oh well, they'll learn, like last time, that people will flee to the telecom that offers unlimited access.

Now with Kung-Fu action!
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I used to have a 4GB cap each month. It was fine, until my brother youtubed it all away in one afternoon. 150GB is a lot though, you'd have to be downloading a film everyday to go over.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's the principle of the thing though. I'd switch if I had AT&T.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Now that Verizon has the iphone, I don't know why anyone would stick with them. Verizon has worked pretty much everywhere I've been in the US, including Guam.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Finally, something better in the Netherlands than in the USA! We don't do caps anymore, and pretty much everyone has fast internet here (save for a few people in very remote places). 120 Mbps here, downloading with 13 MB/s is fun.

King of the Hello Kitty Fanclub
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I hate you all. Uncapped plans are only JUST coming out in Aus, still 95% of plans involve some kind of cap (150gb at max speed then capped at 28.8kbps). Not to mention our internet is slow as **** and barely even covers the official definition of "Broadband"

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Thankfully I don't have to put up with that bull****. Hope that AT&T reverses this decision.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm Comcast and when I found out what their cap was, and how much we used, it did not bother me at all. I would have to go out of my way to download that much....Hopefully companies don't exploit this by putting 100gb caps on.

And while I a mega hype that Verizon got the iPhone, Verizon makes you pay for every goddamn thing. Just want a phone with a touch screen, but a lacking proprietary operating system? NOPE. That's a "multimedia" device and requires a $9.99/moth data plan to have access to the slowass, cumbersome internet.

Former Forcepit Member :(
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Mhe i am loving my connection that much more for 6:99 a month unlimited with a top speed of 24 mbps that will do me just Fine Thank god we don't have AT&T

Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
As it turns out, its not exactly about gaining money, but stopping losing it.

AT&T said:
We are committed to providing a great experience for all of our Internet customers. Less than 2 percent of our Internet customers could be impacted by this approach - those who are using a disproportionate amount of bandwidth. We will communicate early and often with these customers so they are well aware of their options before they incur any additional usage charges.

The top 2 percent of residential subscribers uses about 20 percent of the bandwidth on our network. Just one of these high-traffic users can utilize the same amount of data capacity as 19 typical households. Lopsided usage patterns can cause congestion at certain points in the network, which can slow Internet speeds and interfere with other customers' access to and use of the network. Our new plan addresses another concern: customers strongly believe that only those who use the most bandwidth should pay more than those who don't use as much. That's exactly what this does – and again, 98% of our customers will not be impacted by this.
Seems fair, and now that i think about it, as Chakra said, i highly doubt i'll reach close to that limit. They will provide us with tools that will inform us when we reach certain percentages like 60%, 90% and 100%.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom