"Aston" - New Windows Shell. Anyone use?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I want to try out this Aston thing I read about in another thread on my machine at home, but I'm not sure if it's a good idea. Anyone use it, got any issues? Here's my top concerns:

1.) Will it run all of my programs?

2.) Will it hog up my video memory?

3.) Is it stable?

4.) Will the fact that I have StyleXP right now screw it up?

5.) Just any basic info about its screwups is appreciated.

Thanks in advance, guys.

Best answers
1. Yes it will run all of your programs, I used it and it only seemed to be Explorer with a different look.
2. I'm not sure about video memory, but it did take up a little less memory than explorer.
3. I used it for a week, no crashes of the like.
4. It seems to be compatible with windows visual styles, I had one running when I used it.
5. Not many screwups, only ones I found were in themes itself, bad graphics and the like, otherwise it looks nice, but it's not something I would use a a permanent thing.

Aston is not a permanent replacement, it includes a Shell Swapper that lets you switch between Explorer and Aston (requires relogin). So anytime you want to get things back to normal you can.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Cool, thanks man! Why'd you decided to not use it permanently if it seemed to have nothing wrong?

Best answers
Well it looks nice, very nice actually, but I was just never one for flashy things. I like to keep it simple. There are a WIDE selection of themes on Aston's website but I decided not to bother with it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's only a 30 or 20 day trial though. But it's worth the money if you buy. But after the trial all your icons and stuff are messed up. At least thats what happen to me.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i wouldnt feck with it. anything that isn't sponsored by windows i feel is kinda, wrong.

i dunno. if you get it and get a good feedback, i might try it. but for nwo it's good ol explorer.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I tried it for the trial and it was cool. I really liked it. All those that like to have sleek new desktops without the cludder than you should try it out.

Best answers
Indeed, LiteStep is another good shell replacement. BOTH of the are not permanent, you can uninstall them at any time and it will set it back to Explorer, it dosn't hurt anyone to try. The program dosn't replace windows files, it just tell it to use LiteStep or Aston instead of Explorer. If worse comes to worst, then you can always use a restore point in SafeMode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom