Asteroid 2012 DA14 Discussion

Red Saiyan Mod
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🌟 Senior Member
Best answers
So today is doomsday again, or not according to NASA. Check this article here for all the information.
Normally I would not bother with such discussion but that asteroid is swinging by really close. Russia has reported a meter shower today which is supposedly not linked with the asteroid in question.
Here you can see the predicted trajectory. What you guys think about this? Honestly I had no idea it was coming so close to Earth.
Not only is it closer to us than the moon, it's passing within the ring of geosynchronous orbit 500 miles below where we put our satellites.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
So how big was it? And on some videos I heard a loud bang, like an explosion, was that some kind of sonic boom or something else? Looked real cool nonetheless.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The meteor exploded in mid air and the explosions were pieces hitting the earth from what I guess.

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
So how big was it? And on some videos I heard a loud bang, like an explosion, was that some kind of sonic boom or something else? Looked real cool nonetheless.
It's ~50meters across. Pretty nice chunk of rock.

Space owns.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Seriously, I sometime imagine how cool and frightening it would be if some catastrophic event happened and I was there to witness it. I've seen a couple of movies of the asteroid and it fascinates me!

FP Wannabe
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
The Russian meteor event has absolutely nothing to do with Asteroid 2012 DA14.

The Asteroid only passed at 27 thousand km from earth, not even close enough to burn on the atmosphere, it could only have a very, very small chance of hitting a sattelite.

The Russian meteor did enter the atmosphere, bursted midair into several smaller pieces, but I'm not sure if those smaller rocks did actually hit the ground, possibly, but with minimum damage, the shockwave of the main explosion was impressive though. The secondary explosions could be sonic booms of the smaller pieces of the meteor after it exploded.

[video=youtube;bpGt7x12oa4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpGt7x12oa4[/video]

Last edited:
ANBU
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well.....too bad for the russians i guess. I heard that some people actually got hurt.

Only go forward sideways
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
Those explosions are off the hook! It's amazing how long they took to reach ground level after the meteor was seen! In a weird way I wish I was there! Talk about "You only live once". Imagine experiencing that :D

FP Wannabe
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Well, considering the explosion happened anywhere between 30km to 50km from the surface, and let's say the speed of sound with that day's conditions would average roughly 1200 km/h, the sound (and shockwave) would take anywhere between a minute and thirty seconds to two minutes and thirty seconds to reach the surface.

Last edited:
Death from Above
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Thread starts as a discussion about an asteroid that passes very close to earth and immediately turns into a discussion about an unrelated meteor that lands in Russia

Nice going ESF

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Nice going Baaja, more or less... Talk about hijacking a thread! But I had just heard of the meteor hitting Russia and the next thing I did was check ESF, and saw this thread so and the rest is history.. Blame my reading skills! They have deteriorated since I became more active here.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
The BOOM that could be heared was the explosion of the meteor going faster then sound ( thats the boom u heard )

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
Thread starts as a discussion about an asteroid that passes very close to earth and immediately turns into a discussion about an unrelated meteor that lands in Russia

Nice going ESF
Eh, I'd cut them some slack. Two events like that happening in the same day is pretty unlikely and warrants a bit of discussion. On other forums I've been hardpressed to find situations where people wouldn't be talking about the meteor in a thread about the asteroid and vice versa. It's understandable.

Last edited:
The only Russian ESF fan
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I'm not harmed, thanks ;3

And there are too many jokes about the "shower" right now... xD

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
how come Russia gets all the death rocks from the sky that's not fair

Users who are viewing this thread