Another rare chance

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Rogue modding is always an iffy issue. Some of us won't see it as rogue modding if you're kindly reminding a user about that. Some will see it that way if that's the only content of the post. Almost all of us will see it as that if a person is just going into a bunch of threads and saying that users need to be warned/banned, threads need to be closed etc...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sub said:
I think the mods overall do a great job. The only crit that I do have is about rouge modding. If I see someone double posting or something along those lines and I know for a fact it's against the rules, why can't I tell the person it's against the rules?
The default answer you'll get is "Because we're the mods and that's our jobs, not yours." If you suggest to the person, while still having the majority of your post ontopic, that they shouldn't do something, I wouldn't count it as rogue moderating. For example:

Good Post:
... btw, -user-, it's probably not such a good idea to double post. Just a friendly user-to-user reminder.

Bad Post:
Don't double post anymore or you'll be warned.

That's atleast how I see it.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well beyond that, it also keeps users on equal footing. It's not such a big problem now, but it used to be. Basically users telling other users what to do as if they had the authority to do so, many being rude about it, many other users fighting back, and general messiness. Hence the rule. Keeps that kind of junk from getting out of hand again.

-Karrde-

nge

Best answers
Personally, I feel you guys are doing a fine job. I think you all do your best to try to bring the maturity level up around, which I understand can be rather frustraiting/difficult.

While we may disagree on certain issues at times, I've NEVER been restrained from saying my mind. You're actually very tolerant in the sense that you don't let opinions get in the way of good moderating. I've noticed that so long as one's posts follow the rules of the forum, they can contain essentially anything past that point. This is absolutely perfect. You guys don't abuse your power but are sure to enforce the rules as they are, which makes this a very well run community-board.

All that aside, my only complaint would be the 120 second rule. I can more than understand a time limit between posts, as to prevent lots of spamming and/or much meaningless contribution; however, this feels (to myself, anyways) a little too long. While I don't expect this to change, I think a 60-80 second rule would still keep the forums nearly as clean from unnesessary posting but allow discussion to continue in a much smoother manner.

Validated Steam Engine
🌈 Beta Tester
✔️ HL Verified
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
All in all I think you're doing great. From what I've seen you handle things very well. For example, at the time of that whole thing with that Warcraft 3 mod where a member came to the ESF forums, I thought that was handled particularly well. Heh, if someone is out of line I actually enjoy seeing a mod put them in their place. ^^"

Out of curisoity, can mods actually get warnings? Just curious as I remember there was an argument in a thread once and a mod was involved (didn't abuse his power though so kudos to him) and another mod said that if it continued in the way it was that he would start warning people and he mentioned that he wasn't even sure if he could warn a mod.

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't think it'll hurt to let this out. Mods most definately can be reprimanded by those higher in power, though it's really a rare thing. So rare that I can count on one hand the number of times they've been handed out.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Deman said:
I don't think it'll hurt to let this out. Mods most definately can be reprimanded by those higher in power, though it's really a rare thing. So rare that I can count on one hand the number of times they've been handed out.
I remeber seeing mdoerator corrective action being taken one time on ethier arthos or Engar (can't remember witch one though ><, or it could be one of those other mods that also have a lower post count then the rest of us, but I can gurantee you it was not or phobious to as far as I can remember =P).

Best answers
Only mods I want to comment are Opti, Cuc, Deman, and Majin You.

All great guys who help the forum out, but not like the other mods who take the job so seriously.

Great community people whos lives arent evolved around ESF like some mods who cling to ESF like its their last chance of power.

Mainly just Opti and Cuc.

Best mods here, even though being a mod here means nothing.

To everyone who reads this, dont worry about being warned for somthing small or anything like that, they ago away and its usually because of some mod having a bad day or somthing, or one of the power hungry ones.

I know this cause I was power hungry once as a mod here.

I was a bad mod, and didnt care.

Still dont.

Mr. Preacher
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Saiyan_Overlord said:
I remeber seeing mdoerator corrective action being taken one time on ethier arthos or Engar (can't remember witch one though ><, or it could be one of those other mods that also have a lower post count then the rest of us, but I can gurantee you it was not or phobious to as far as I can remember =P).

One of the reasons why my post count is low is because I took 6 months away from esf and had to deal with real life. I only post in threads that concern me or I think is interesting other then that I usually make Video Game threads with a little review or so about them and get everyones crits on the game or whatever. So if you want to see my post count start to go higher make interesting posts and I will reply ok. Plus posting in off topic does not add to your post count and I usually post a lot in here.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
... not that you should judge someone by their post count at all. I honestly hate people who say "I'm obviously better than you because I have more posts." Just drives me bonkers.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Bonkers was also a great cartoon.

Whats the policy on cursing? Do I really need to use + signs to avoid getting in trouble, or can I just let the forum take care of it for me (without being reprimanded)?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yes you can curse all you like and let the forum filter it out. Just make sure it's not directed toward someone in a way that can be deemed insulting.

EX:
That ****ing chair <--- fine.
**** you guy. **** you right in the ear. <--- bad.

Old School
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Also, using asterisks for letters of a word is also against the rules. To avoid getting in trouble, just spell out the word like normal. And if it blocks it then it blocks it, thast the way it should be. If if doesnt then you dont have anything to worry about.

Validated Steam Engine
🌈 Beta Tester
✔️ HL Verified
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
So actually putting them in like **** is worse than just typing it and having it blocked like ****? Or do you mean putting them in to avoid the swear filter like, replacing one letter or something?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Correct, he means if you replace one letter of a swear word with an asterisk manually, the other letters will still show up because the swear filter won't be catching swear words with random asterisks in them. If you write out the whole word then it'll be caught by the filter and turned into asterisks anyway. So g** is worse than ***.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
No, I don't replace one letter. Instead of saying poopie, I say ++++++. Is that fine?

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I guess that's fine. It's just the ppl who do things to make it clear what they were saying without technically saying it. As long as every letter is asterisked out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom