Another rare chance

[S]

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
That thread was closed because it turned out to be a hoax and a pointless thread since that owl never really died.

Best answers
Im not sure why that was closed either, but whatever, its not my problem.

I think you guys are doing alright, I just hope for to slow down and lighten up, he is doing a great job dont get me wrong, and I dont want this to sound like im bashing him.

Also, im afraid to post some of the things that i want to say because of fear of getting a warning. I dont think you guys can fix that, nor do you all care probably, but i just felt like that had to be said.

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Walmart Security said:
Also, im afraid to post some of the things that i want to say because of fear of getting a warning. I dont think you guys can fix that, nor do you all care probably, but i just felt like that had to be said.
As a general rule of thumb, you should only be worried about posting something if you know it's going to be disrespectful or inappropriate. In other cases, just apply some common sense to the situation. If you think that what you're about to post might cause a bit of a problem in the community (a prime example is a post pertaining to warez), then hold off.

I think that there is a general discrepency between what we're actually here to do and what it is believed that we do.

What we are here to do is make sure that the ESF community members have an accessible, friendly place to discuss, for the most part, what they want to. In order to do that, we need to keep this place free of disrespect, and we need to make sure that nothing under-the-table is discussed, so as to make sure the team doesn't get into any sort of trouble.

What we aren't here to do is selectively block off your actions and curb your activities until we're satisfied you will not be a trouble-maker. Indeed, it looks pretty harsh to see "no threads about politics or religion will be tolerated", but that's not there to snag more people into the warning-mobile. It's there to ensure that people won't be disrespected based on their spiritual and/or political beliefs. All of the rules that you see popping into the AUP were put there based on the idea that we want mutual respect here, and that, from experience, we know certain things will cause problems. We don't want you to get lost in a sea of rules and regulations, but we do expect that you'll put respect for others and for the community, as a whole, ahead of other things.

So, bearing in mind the angle that we're coming from, you can, generally, rest assured that if what you're going to post is not disrespectful, there's a good chance you're in the clear.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well IMO, i think its kinda hard to see how the polite, courteous staff have totally different IRC personalities.

Thats my only problem, if you can call it that.

Good work to teh ESF Forums anyway!

Best answers
(i havnt read all) i think the moderators are doing a bang up job except for one thing... the blantent blitz bans (i got some aliteration in there) well yea, and i think the whole free force pit thread was a pretty good example of what im trying to say, even though it was warned. you guys are great just lighten up a little bit.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Majin_You said:
However, in the near future, it might not be too much of a stretch to have sections devoted to the more mature members of the forum. Once we figure out a way to legitimately screen out the younger members, you might see such secitons pop up.
That seams like a good idea, look forward to it :)

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Generally, you guys do a pretty good job of maintaining order without being complete asses. Boyster and Alea are my favs.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
sean said:
i think alea and pride are too harsh and should not be so harsh, that's how they could improve.

And I think all mods will be improved if they allow certain nudity. Like refs or models that contain nudity. That's about it for me D:

And I think Pain is the greatest admin ever. He helps everyone, and he's just ejeet o/. He's teh uber pawn and he's nice. He helps everyone and should get rewarded for it.
Well, I try to seperate my 'harshness' from my job as a moderator. My sections (coding, and anime) aren't heavily posted in. Most of the time, if I have to moderate a thread, if I've posted in it myself, I'll get another mod to do the job.

My function as a moderator mostly consists of fusing extraneous Naruto threads into the Sticky. I realize I might come off as 'harsh' in my normal posting in Off-Topic, but that doesn't reflect my job as a moderator. I do appreciate the opinion, though.

Best answers
I personally feel that the moderating staff is doing a great job. You guys are friendly (when nothing bad is going on) and easy to talk to. I'm glad to see well-chosen moderators that can type proper sentences with punctuation. It's amazing to me, personally how you guys can be patient with anything bad happening, because I have a short temper that I like to hide(and it makes me keep my mouth shut).

Overall, you all have common sense, which doesn't seem too common on the Internet.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'll try to clear up a little of the confusion I see posted so far if I can...

First off, a couple of you have noted that the mods tend to moderate from their own points of view instead of following some kind of strict guideline where they all warn for the same warnable offense. This is totally accurate, and this is as intended. We have a lot of strict mods and admins, leniant mods and admins, and thinkers who ask questions before making final decisions. We have a variety of personalities on the board so that we can see what is going on from a variety of perspectives, rather than a totally neutral one that strictly abides to a rulebook. If you get caught doing something by a leniant mod who doesn't warn you, you can consider yourself lucky, and learn not to do it again without having a permanent mark against you, but you'll always run the risk of somebody harsher plucking you out. It isn't a matter of whether or not it's fair versus another decision by a different moderator, it's a matter of chance in who catches you first and what they do. We allow the mods to excersize their judgement, and in part we try to select them based on how reasonable we feel them to be.

The other topic brought up was IRC. IRC /= Forums. People choose their words more carefully when they have time to re-read before posting them, and in IRC there are fewer rules, so more personality tends to stand out. It's probably safest to just pretend they're different people altogether when they're on the board being professional than when they're fooling around in IRC. They aren't trying to be role models in chat, although they're more cautious on the board.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hm. Well I will admire mods for their patience. Especially for the noob section and quite possible the help section. And mods are VERY lienient in the off-topic section, which is in my opinon a great thing. If the mods were to go by ever rule in the aup, i'm pretty sure almost a lot of people would have been banned by now that haven't been already.

I will say that i feel maybe some mods could see a post and consider it to be a harsh comment when infact it might not be (i've had this happen to me a few times, one quite recently about servers or something, i'm too lazy to go and correct it)

So i guess maybe mods, with in reason, could say "well maybe they meant something else, and maybe give them a PM asking about it. But I can only see that happening every once in a blue moon because usually it's pretty self expanitory.

I suppose you guys are doing your job pretty well. Sometimes i think that some people are just in a bad mood, so the very first chance they get they.. well i don't want to say yell, but they repremand in some way (doesn't have to be a warning or a ban) just to maybe ease their anger, which i'm not too fond of. Though that makes me a hypocrite becasue I do it too. But I might be wrong. :) Good job on moderating.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think y'all are doing a damn good job. You guys are intelligent, friendly, and have a good sense of humor. I think the rules set out for us aren't too strict, and I enjoy coming here because there's such a friendly atmosphere.

Every moderator or admin has his or her own views on certain subjects, and not everyone is always in a good mood, so I think it's natural for mods and admins to not always act in predictable ways. They're human after all. ;p

So yeah, good job guys, hope y'all be staying for a while to come. :3

Best answers
i have to say you guys have been doing a bang up job from what i see. all i can say is keep up the good work.

The Viking
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Allthough you guys are doing a good job, sometimes warnings are given for very small things. Some of you should be slightly more lenient in my opinion.

G-Bear
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Still cant forgive KarrdeKNR for giving me a warning a few years ago :(.

Naah ESF moderation is alright, sometimes you overdo it by giving a warning about the most silly things and sometimes you just let it go out of hand.

But its different with every moderator. >_>
Cold Steel said:
Allthough you guys are doing a good job, sometimes warnings are given for very small things. Some of you should be slightly more lenient in my opinion.
Quoted for the truth \o

Old School
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Cold Steel said:
More lenient on things like.....? Any examples?

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
I think you mods and admins are doing a awesome job.

You guys are friendly and pretty easy to approach. When I have to PM you guys I always get a friendly, straight answer.

I cant really complain about being to strict, since Ive never been given a warning, but like walmart Im always thinking twice before a post and three times before making a thread.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Cold Steel said:
This coming from the man who is the reason the 120 second post limit exists ;)

You know VT and I actually saw the forum database break because of the sheer volume of flooding you and the others were causing when we removed the limit.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think you guys are doing a great job, same here as what grim said, we should just don't let anything slip by our mouths....errr, I mean fingers.

Bt I hope you guys will keep on doing a great job and enjoy what you're doing, nice day ya'l!

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think the mods overall do a great job. The only crit that I do have is about rouge modding. If I see someone double posting or something along those lines and I know for a fact it's against the rules, why can't I tell the person it's against the rules?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom