Anime = Geekish Nerds With No Life?!?

Best answers
Normally i dont let what people think get too me. But Recently, ive had a chat with some of my friends at school and happen to brought up anime, and was pretty much teased about it. They say it's for nerds, people with no lifes and are childish for watching cartoons and ect. And well,i just wanna know everyone's oppion. Do you guys beleive that people who love watching anime are automatically geeks, nerds and pretty much all the above?!?

Hsu

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
They are most likely thinking DBZ, pokemon and yui gi oh are the only kinds of anime out there, based for children. People like them dont enjoy many different kinds of anime weekly that goes way beyond most of the drible you find on the cartoon network. If they had a chance to see more of the different kinds of anime out there they would change thier minds.

Sound Artist
Best answers
Dragonball Z was ment for Adults, Funimation's dub made it a kid show.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Love Hina is definately not for kids O_O

I do notice people saying that a lot, and it's just arrogance, their lack of anime-age is their downfall

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
A lot of things are editied out of anime, the content obviously being considered for older audiences.

Anime is just another way to experience a storyline and with it's own form of art. Movies and anime share a lot of simple characteristics.

Best answers
everyobody got their own opinion man. I dont watch anime, but I know a bunch of people who do, and some of them are pretty chilled out man. Just tell your friends their closed minded *******s and that they can suck it if they dont you for who you are.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, DBZ was made for kids.....in japan with the more lax standards. Depending on the show, it really depends. You should just mess your friend up good by showing him every brain hurty anime out there. Here's a few good ones:

Grave of the fireflies (movie, so it's not a big commitment)
Hoshi no koe (all art, animation, sound, etc. was done by a single person over the course of 2 years. 2 Voice actors: Himself and his fiance)
Naussica: Valley of the wind (The insane detail in the art alone makes this an important film)
X (The movie - not so good, but excessively violent)

Just a few suggestions. If you can get him to sit down long enough, make him watch serial experiments Lain. That should mess his mind up nicely.

-Karrde-

King of the Hello Kitty Fanclub
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Or mess him up with a Kamehameha in his face!
Too far?

Fumoffu!
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
There are always those people who obstanately believe that 'cartoons' are for kids because they have never been exposed to proper 'anime'. A prime example would be the series "Onegai Teacher", which is in no way meant for small children - not because of the graphic imagery but because of the emotional content in the anime which is far from understandable for a small kid.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Eh, nothing more than another type of stereotype. A lot of people that think anime is for nerds or kids, probably haven't watched it all.

Best answers
I say let them bask in their ignorance. See if we care if they're missing out on the greatest thing ever to come out of Japan.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Amayirot Akago said:
I say let them bask in their ignorance. See if we care if they're missing out on the greatest thing ever to come out of Japan.
You know what they say..... "Ignorance is bliss!"....

If they want to beleive that all anime is for kids, let them. They are happy in their own mind not knowing how good it is, because there so much in thought drawings=kids stuff...

Be happy your not missing out!

Best answers
Geekish Nerds With No Life?!?
Present!!

Lol, But seriously. I think that was just another steriotype. Sure Dragon Ball Z and Yugioh are good (IMHO), But what your friend sees in them is the masacre that the dubbers left behind. Make him watch some more Mature/Adult Based anime. Like Cowbow Bebob, X (The Movie), Akira, Serial Experiments Lain. And im sure he'll change his mind, if not then whatever right?

His loss.

Best answers
i have been wondering about the often too... am i childish for seeing anime??? i dont think so, and LUCKELY all my near friends LOVE anime too :D so sometimes we have a little lan party where we just see animes 24/7 :D quite fun...

Naruto is the l33t! try to show them some fighting scenes in it.. and they will be hocked! or else let them check out this thread :) must of us aint small kids u know :D adults watch animes too...

Best answers
I remember I was always teased for watching DBZ, they said only kids watch cartoons and such. But I didn't care, I enjoyed it, infact I enjoy non anime cartoons too, such as Samurai Jack and Ren and Stimpy, but the main point is that I enjoy them. If other people think I'm childish for enjoying them, oh well, that's more their problem not mine.

Defenestrator
Retired Forum Staff
Best answers
Try getting your friends to watch Urotsukidoji :D after the lobotomy, they may rethink their points of view, but in all seriousness, i watch anime with my g/f, who just happens to be a lovely japanese girl, and neither of us are what would normally be referred to as either children or geeks. :)

Best answers

No, those to think like that are childish people with no life

Well most of the real adults(30-40) doesnt think like that.

Most of the teens(15-18), who have only watched pokemon, digimon or beyblade for a short time and are super "gangstas" who thinks that all shows which doesnt have real humas as actors are for childs. When you are with people like this just shut up and leave the anime for that time, and talk about it with real friends who can understand you.

I myself hate everyone who things like "Anime watchers: Geekish Nerds With No Life?!?" and i will never have friends who think like that...

Best answers

LIES, LIES AND SLANDER!!!!! :laff:

I've met a few people like that. Mostly my advocate class in highschool. So I took Ghost in a Shell and Ninja Scroll for em to see, and by the end fo advocate thay all were freaked. It was funny, even the teacher changed her point of view. :laff: :laff:

The Viking
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
To be honest, i used to think the same. But now i'm an anime addict myself. I say, try or think before you speak. Anime is fun, a lot. No life ? I have a gf, a job, go to school, have a lot of friends. some people just don't like cartoons, but other don't like soap series. It's an opinion based mather imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom