Animator wanting feedback.

Best answers
Hey guys! Long time no see!

Yes this is Wolf, old OLD esf vet (dont let my post count fool you, i just dont post here any plus this is like my 3rd account i think), tho about 90% of you won't remember me any, some will. Anyways, i'm a 3d animator (6-7 yrs in practice) I've worked for a studio back in 05, TripWire Interactive (Red Orchestra) with some off and on mod work over the years.

Do to my....military and personal life, i've had a bit of an issue being consistent with mod work, but I try my best.

Anyways, Im here wanting some feedback on newish-old work, any and all is good. I'm facing deployment in a week (US army) so helping any need be modders or up and coming animators i cant do other then give feedback. I'm planning on going to Animations school upon my return from my year deployment so, by the time i'm a few months in. I will finally have "surpassed" Darktooth :scared: (he knows what i mean)

http://www.youtube.com/wolf103085

In my years' time I hope to have internet while overseas and still plan on keeping an eye on ESF and its progress and wish nothing but the best on their final release as i've been following them since the powerup days.

Outstanding job guys, You are my inspiration to be an animator!

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The Animations seem pretty clean to me. Nicely running and all. The idle for the soldier seems to be nice and calm. Though the Crouching Animation seems a bit fast.

Best answers
Yea, but the playback was going to be controlled by the QC file.

I WANT A PICTURE NAME
Banned
Best answers
The Animation on cell is really awesome was it released with the OpenBeta Final?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I can give you a few points to look at when you have the capacity if it's of any help.

Starting with the Merc's idle loop, you've got a nice balance of motion on the torso but i think a couple of points would really bring it to life. Firstly i note that the characters centre of mass seems to almost be nearly static. Any individual standing in such a semi-crouched position would find themselves swaying to a much greater degree horizontally as well as vertically in sync with his breathing cycle.

Secondly, i'd try to throw in some rotation on his gun/right palm as he breathes since it's somewhat tricky to hold something at a set angle even when focusing on it. Probably the best way would to be make your animated loop about three cycles, and throw in some deviations throughout to help break up the loop, assuming you have the frames to spare.

Regarding the crouched deployment of an object, its probably going a bit too quick for the action really. slowing it down by say, 0.75 of its current speed should probably do the trick. I'd also alter the timing of the head rotation such that he's looking at where the object is to be placed prior to physically placing it on the ground.

Rest of it seems bob on though! be good to see more of your work in the future!

Best answers
The Animation on cell is really awesome was it released with the OpenBeta Final?
I'm not sure, it was done a couple years back so i don't know if DT replaced it or not. BTW i haven't played Open beta in a couple years, i've been waiting on the final release honestly :-D

I can give you a few points to look at when you have the capacity if it's of any help.

Starting with the Merc's idle loop, you've got a nice balance of motion on the torso but i think a couple of points would really bring it to life. Firstly i note that the characters centre of mass seems to almost be nearly static. Any individual standing in such a semi-crouched position would find themselves swaying to a much greater degree horizontally as well as vertically in sync with his breathing cycle.

Secondly, i'd try to throw in some rotation on his gun/right palm as he breathes since it's somewhat tricky to hold something at a set angle even when focusing on it. Probably the best way would to be make your animated loop about three cycles, and throw in some deviations throughout to help break up the loop, assuming you have the frames to spare.

Regarding the crouched deployment of an object, its probably going a bit too quick for the action really. slowing it down by say, 0.75 of its current speed should probably do the trick. I'd also alter the timing of the head rotation such that he's looking at where the object is to be placed prior to physically placing it on the ground.

Rest of it seems bob on though! be good to see more of your work in the future!
Thanks, i get what ya mean on the idle bobbing. The weapon holding i was trying to base off what i've done with personal experiences with an M4 Carbine. About the speed of the animations, Remember they can all be controlled by the QC files, so these aren't necessarily the exact speed.

But thank you, I will be trying to get more animations up for crits. ;D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom