Aesthetic Dash Suggestion

Best answers
I've come to notice during the throwing video that ESF:F's Dash particle effect hasn't evolved since ESF 1.2.3, so here's a fix to turn dashing into a sexier effect that pleases the eye and gives a visual sense of great speed.

See, here's ESF:F's dash:

It looks nothing like the show's, as you can see.

Now here's a Screenshot from the Wii game Budokai Tenkaichi 3:

Isn't that better? It's a perfect copy of the original dash, and it looks amazing without wasting any of the engine's power by instead of making many small particle effects as strands, making lines that look separate and increase the appearance of speed with speed lines. it also covers up most of the player's body.

So anyway, this was my suggestion and if you don't like it you can suck my large phallus.

Last edited:
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Would this be possible to do on the HL1 engine though?

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
We could do radial blur, but guh, I hate it. Radial blur's always look out of place to me. I like watching the non-blurred landscape go by. And now that I fixed the links, whoah I do NOT like what they did with BT3 x.x The FX covers most of the screen.

Last edited:
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
But what's to stop it from being an option? I mean, you can turn it on if you want it? That might appeal to the masses, right?

Best answers
We could do radial blur, but guh, I hate it. Radial blur's always look out of place to me. I like watching the non-blurred landscape go by. And now that I fixed the links, whoah I do NOT like what they did with BT3 x.x The FX covers most of the screen.
I'm not saying it's perfect, that's actually a massive flaw it's got, but it still looks better than the one being used now. The FX can be edited however the FX editors want, of course.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The biggest problem with that is, in BT games your locked on to your opponent so steering isn't a factor at all, putting that effect in esf since 90% of moving is swooping, you'd be blind 90% of the time, so that would be a definate no.

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Honestly, with the right settings and values, I could see this working in ESF.

🚂 Steam Linked
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
guess it can work the same way as NFS: Most Wanted, the faster u go, the more radial blur u get. In any case, the radial blur there is not enough to interfere ur gameplay, but enough to make the game look better

Back from the shadows
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
What Tenzo said. Limit it to maybe scripted sequences or ultimate combos. I'm unaware of how gameplay currently works at the moment, but I remember reading about how the longer you swoop for, the faster you'll go... so if you guys follow the same principle as NFS, you'll not only have a really cool effect to emphazise speed, but this also makes it harder to land a hit which promises to deliver more damage, thus making it a trade-off.

Everyone's Favorite Weirdo :D
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ehh.. to be honest with you.. You need all the visibility you can get in ESF... this is not 1 vs 1.. this is 2 vs 2.. 3 vs 3.. or 16 people vs each other.. to have a radial blur, that'd totally get you dominated. With the ability of homing beams and what not... it's definitely going to be harder to see them coming if you have a blur on the sides of your screen. ESF 1.3 is literally 10x faster of a game than 1.2.3... not only that... but radial blur = massive FPS lag.. why? cause HL1 is gay..

Best answers
What? No, no. Radial Blur is completely unnecessary, I actually didn't even notice it in the screenshot. The effect looks great without any blurring, which as previously said, ruins your visibility.

Sorry for the misunderstanding though.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Make it something you can turn off and on. Would be pretty cool to see.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
What? No, no. Radial Blur is completely unnecessary, I actually didn't even notice it in the screenshot. The effect looks great without any blurring, which as previously said, ruins your visibility.

Sorry for the misunderstanding though.
Indeed, swooping should be as clear as possible to favor periferical vision, or else we would be playing a emulated version of DBZ budokai.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom