A stupid sword

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ok, this is my 2nd REAL model, I hope i have improved a little...

And this is smooth shaded..

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
good for your second and its nice to see that your trying hard, but it looks like a like of wasted polies on the handle, and the blade is very very messy, i think your first sword was way better

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
yeah, but all the first sword was a cylinder and a box. I only made one vertex... This sword took much longer

and.. can someone please tell me how to mirror something to the other side?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
1.selevt your whole object
2.Ctrl+D
3.Vertex, then mirorr....

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ok, this is a torso I made, it took me a while.. so crit nicely, plus this is only my third model.

and I want to copy one arm to the other side so I dont have to redu it again, do you know how to do that? Cause I didn't mirror any of this...

Best answers
WHOOAAAA das the box0rs...anyway i think it is nice ofr a start but dan...try making the model more rounded out and as he said for the sword u should clean it up...vertices out the yinyang on them

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
sorry i dont understand what you wrote

Best answers
basically i said...do your arms look triangular in real life...?

and does your body look boxed out like that? hm? no guess not

so fix the arm sleeves :)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I will, I'm brand new at this, so I can't do very much

Best answers
ok first off, you have alot of polys facing the wrong way there, do select all in milkshape, then on the top click on the Face tab, then click face to front. Whenever your making a poly, you go counter clockwise all the time, never clockwise. Also, look at some of the tutorials, try the torso tutorial on esfworld, made by whoever made it I forget lol. Anyway, its a good tutorial. Just keep working, you'll learn eventually.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It looks like you are modeling completly wrong. IMO read some tutorials and see what other ppl do and how they do it.

And just look at other mesh and see how its done.

I am thinking you have currently no idea how allot of stuff is done and keep getting stuck so?

Well that is how I was when I was a just starting out. Dont worry once you read some stuff and do some more stuff that will go away I guess.

Anyway keep it up. :)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ok, i tried to fix them up a little...

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
mirror tool is your friend.... the pic below shows the triangle structure (i would have shown quads but ur using milkshape) for a sword i made. i mirrored the blade in 1 direction, and the crossbrace in another. the hilt is a cylinder and the pommel is a box.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
how can i model one to the other... this is what i mean:

Best answers
Okay, first thing's first. Under the model tab, chose "select" and make sure the box at the bottom that says "ignore backfaces" does not have a check on it. That way you can select more of your model at a time. Click on the "face" button right above that.

Second, click and drag a square across the area you want copied, the shoulder.
Then go to the edit menu, and click on "duplicate selection" Then click on the vertex menu, and click "Mirror Left <--> Right"
It's mirrored.

First, make sure that the other side does not have any polygons where you will be copying it. In fact, it's best to only make one side of the body. the left half of the chest, the left arm, the left leg, and the rest, then in the very end duplicate and mirror. Make sure and hit "weld all verticies" under the vertex menu afterwards to make it a solid object. Also make sure there are no polygons at the seam where you will be mirroring.

Now, as for a general rule, only put polygons where you need to change directions. For instance, if the waist goes straight up, you can make all the polygons across it be very tall, going right up to where the chest is. If you need to have them be able to bend forward or back, so their waist won't stay flat, you need to ad a row of polygons.

There is a term used in the industry called "edge looping" It is basically making natural curves or lines using the sides of polygons. On a muscular, shirtless man, there would be a line down the middle of the chest, then it would branch off to each side, curve up to the armpit, then back towards the neck, creating the inside edge of the shoulder muscle.

The problem with your sword is that it is not edge-looped. A flat sword with a sharp edge doesn't need very many polygons. A line down the middle, two triangles making up each side's top, then two more for each side's bottom. There, you've created one with an edge on each side (but no tip. For a tip, add 1 triangle on each side's top, then bottom)

I hope that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom