A few question about the combat system

Best answers
Been playing for 2 days now and A few things bother me about the combat. Also I am not saying the game is bad just things I found to be kinda dumb, also if one of these issues is just something I didn't know you could do please lemme know if there's attacks, maneuvers, or something else I am missing that would fix these problems i am having. Or if these are something they already know about and are fixing in 1.3 which I am SUPER pumped about.

1- Block seems to do little to nothing at all
I spent a whole match one time just testing to see if/what block even does, and it pretty much did nothing, I think it deflected 3 or 4 punches thought out the course of the whole 30 minute match.

2- the Head-On battles seem to be stupid/not working properly
I have yet to win one .. . . I generally hit 90% of the direction perfectly and miss maybe 1 or 2 and I still lose. . . Every single time. not sure how a winner is calculated but if you have to perfectly hit all the direction every time to win that's pretty stupid it should just be which ever fighter get more correctly timed then the other.

3- No way to counter when in constant melee
melee seems to always favor the pursuer and never the target, once melee begins and a player is knocked back unless you immediately run away and you seem to just get beat over and over. you don't get enough time to recover and burst at your opponent to get the 1st strike back. Since you seem to only be able to melee when you are bursting in a direction this makes it nearly impossible to counter attack unless your opponent lets you.

4- Power levels seem to increase at a SUPER slow pace.
Ok Most games i can't get a transformation until like the next round or near the end of the one I start. also You only seem to get any PL when you hit people, which in the spirit of DBZ universe they tend to get power faster when they are getting thrashed. Since you get PL so slow if you join a match that a few people have been in for a bit you are SUPER under powered and can never get any good hits because those players are far faster and stronger since they can transform and such.

Again before you troll me with comments like "OMG LOL NOOB YOU JUST SUCK" I am not always losing I generally do average to good, and even won a few matches. But it doesn't change the fact that certain aspects of combat seem broken and unfair. I rather lose a fair fight, then win one because the game mechanics are unfair.

I am no more
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Well the mod was made back in 2003 (or something around that) and that why they are making ESForces 1.3. So they make everything better , balanced and realistic. They won't update the old 1.2.3 because there's no point for doing that. So yeah we gotta play it as it is and wait for the new version to come.

✔️ HL Verified
🍂 Regular
Best answers
Been playing for 2 days now and A few things bother me about the combat. Also I am not saying the game is bad just things I found to be kinda dumb, also if one of these issues is just something I didn't know you could do please lemme know if there's attacks, maneuvers, or something else I am missing that would fix these problems i am having. Or if these are something they already know about and are fixing in 1.3 which I am SUPER pumped about.

1- Block seems to do little to nothing at all
I spent a whole match one time just testing to see if/what block even does, and it pretty much did nothing, I think it deflected 3 or 4 punches thought out the course of the whole 30 minute match.

2- the Head-On battles seem to be stupid/not working properly
I have yet to win one .. . . I generally hit 90% of the direction perfectly and miss maybe 1 or 2 and I still lose. . . Every single time. not sure how a winner is calculated but if you have to perfectly hit all the direction every time to win that's pretty stupid it should just be which ever fighter get more correctly timed then the other.

3- No way to counter when in constant melee
melee seems to always favor the pursuer and never the target, once melee begins and a player is knocked back unless you immediately run away and you seem to just get beat over and over. you don't get enough time to recover and burst at your opponent to get the 1st strike back. Since you seem to only be able to melee when you are bursting in a direction this makes it nearly impossible to counter attack unless your opponent lets you.

4- Power levels seem to increase at a SUPER slow pace.
Ok Most games i can't get a transformation until like the next round or near the end of the one I start. also You only seem to get any PL when you hit people, which in the spirit of DBZ universe they tend to get power faster when they are getting thrashed. Since you get PL so slow if you join a match that a few people have been in for a bit you are SUPER under powered and can never get any good hits because those players are far faster and stronger since they can transform and such.

Again before you troll me with comments like "OMG LOL NOOB YOU JUST SUCK" I am not always losing I generally do average to good, and even won a few matches. But it doesn't change the fact that certain aspects of combat seem broken and unfair. I rather lose a fair fight, then win one because the game mechanics are unfair.

First, if you've only been playing for two days in a row, expect to have a difficult time with the game at first. It's a mod which means it has alot of issues and is generaly difficult game to learn for new comers. On top of that, you have seasoned players who have taken the skill-aspect of the game ridicously far (seriously, any normal player assuming seasoned players are hacking, is more or less justified since the skill-ceiling is incredibly high). On to your points then:

1. Blocking is quite usefull, especially when you're low on Ki. It blocks simple&advanced melee as well as most ki attacks. I suspect that the problem you're having is, that the servers seems to be populated by a few seasoned players. They know how to properly angle around your block, successfully scoring a hit. This is further fueled by the fact your time playing the game is extremly short.

2. I'm not sure what you're experiencing exactly, however, I will elaborate the head-on concepts:

A: Player A and player B are both using simple melee; during a head-on they are both blown back.
B: Player A is using advanced melee and player B is using simple melee (or vice versa); during a head-on player B scores a hit, consequently 'causing player A to flip around on the Y-axis, allowing player A to execute a few punches on player B, after which you are both blown back.
C: Player A and player B are both using advanced melee; during a head-on both players engage into a "melee struggle", pushing hands against hands. When players are "locking hands", arrows appear on both players screens. The one who inputs the most correct arrows, wins.

What I think might be happening though, is you are assuming your aim is spot on your target, yet the target may be a seasoned player and angles you, hitting you from the side, avoiding the head-on completely and scoring a hit (which would explain why you believe you are "losing" the head-on, when the head-on can be either won or lost only if case C occurs).

3. There is essentialy no "target" and "persuer" and I can assure you, between players of similiar level of skill, such terms aren't ever used since game doesn't get un-balanced is such a way, where, as you state, once the first player gets into rythm/establishes his pace (i.e. swoops first or makes the first hit) the receiving player is, regardless of his skill level, unable to appropriately defend and/or counter-attack.

What seems to be happening however, is, again, you are playing against a more seasoned player, whose speed can be up to 70% more than that of yours, overwhelming you.

4. I'm not really sure how fast PL raises, however, I wouldn't believe it raises particularly fast OR slow. The more damage you deal, the more PL you get. I think it's a decent amount of time for a regular player (not seasoned); about 15-25 minutes to allow for transformation to occur. You are possibly not dealing enough damage to your opposing players, which, is completely normal for a beginner player.

I would suggest expecting and measuring improvement in weeks, best to do it in months however, IMO. If your patient enough, the game gets extremely fun and addicting, but the pros constantly owning beginners is a huge turn off to new(er) players.

Good luck and don't give up! ^_^

Last edited:
Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
There is a flash tutorial that explaines things a lot on the forums. Though because I'm on a tablet I have issues with coppy/pasting things. I'm sure someone willdrop a link in here.

But yes your problem seems to be more with the games learning curve. ESF is heavily skill based, so the skill differences are astronomical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom