Body training

Status
Not open for further replies.
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🍂 Regular
Best answers
Hey guys, its Alex here. Ive posted this thread because i want opinions on how i should go about training my body to gain definition on the build i currently have.
I work in a nightclub and i work with guys who have absolutely amazing bodies, im not jealous...i just feel left out..
Ive been on a few sites and done a few routines but nothing seems to stick, my main concern is my arms, ive done isolation exercises on my biceps and i see little results. I heard that working on your triceps is what really counts because that is what shows most of the shape and definition on your arm?

Can i just get a couple of opinions from you guys to know how to go about this? easiest method if possible.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Are you going for show or for functionality? In other words, do you want arms that can destroy or arms that are defined as **** and look pretty, but still reasonably strong?

Also, give us an idea of what you've already done so we can see if we can get those exercises to work out for you, or cross them off the list as it were.

As a side note, I know bouncing is 90% perception, and everyone should fear you on sight, but a lot of it comes from confidence in yourself. Have you taken any martial arts? If not, would you be willing?

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🍂 Regular
Best answers
Ok what ive done so far is home workouts, every morning i do 20 push-ups and 15 sit-ups, i also only have access to dumbells. This workout is for show and to also make me feel good about myself, and i may be willing to take up a martial art if im fully aware of the benefits of it.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think that may be the problem right there. Doing a few push ups here and there isn't going to build much of anything. You need to destroy your body, feed it what it requires to rebuild, and then destroy it once you're healed. So to begin, can you tell us what your max reps is for push ups and sit ups? After that, I'm going to throw some really basic exercises that you could do in a jail cell if you wanted to, and still see pretty damn good results. Also, what are the weights of the dumbbells you have access to?

Super Saiyan Dabura
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
For definition and strenght, you can do that even with your own body, do push ups, pull ups, chin ups and dips. The more effort you put in to your daily workout the more it will show in few weeks. For starters do 10x5 reps per workout, aim for as many reps as you can do later on.

Also read what Praetor told you.

Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
There was a time when I was crazy about working out. I used to spend an hour and a half working out everyday, including running and hopping for 10 mins. Heck, I even used to wear 2 Kg weights on my arms for the entire day whenever it was plausible.

I miss those days. Now I am too busy/lazy to go back, also because I feel no motivation to. But I want to change that. I don't want to hijack this thread, but Zeo if you could give an all around workout for my entire body, focusing on strength and stamina, I'd be very very grateful.

Looks are secondary, I want to be able to feel the power of my body. In the future I might consider Martial Arts, but I want to get in proper shape first. Also, I have no equipments, but am willing to buy according to suggestion.

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
Hey guys, its Alex here. Ive posted this thread because i want opinions on how i should go about training my body to gain definition on the build i currently have.
I work in a nightclub and i work with guys who have absolutely amazing bodies, im not jealous...i just feel left out..
Ive been on a few sites and done a few routines but nothing seems to stick, my main concern is my arms, ive done isolation exercises on my biceps and i see little results. I heard that working on your triceps is what really counts because that is what shows most of the shape and definition on your arm?

Can i just get a couple of opinions from you guys to know how to go about this? easiest method if possible.
Yes work on those triceps, if you're going for show that's what helps your arms look better.

Deathshot, what's your height and weight? Also yo ucan buy a tension chord for a cheap tool for a variety of workouts.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yes work on those triceps, if you're going for show that's what helps your arms look better.

Deathshot, what's your height and weight? Also yo ucan buy a tension chord for a cheap tool for a variety of workouts.

What? I am so lost.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Main things to remember when you want to work out with a purpose:

Protein. Protein decides what your muscles look like. If you want to get huge, you eat a ****load of protein (I would reckon around 100 grams to 140 grams of protein per day). If you want to look athletic you can stick to a diet of around 60 to 80 grams. This is for a normal person, so if you are shorter/taller than other people, you will have to adjust these requirements. If you want results fast, you need to stick with the body builder routine at first (a lot of protein).

Creatine. Creatine is a legal substance that, if you use it correctly, will give you some pretty nifty boosts to your workout (you will get stronger, faster). This might not be an option for you, and it's not necessary for getting strong. It just gets you there faster.

The actual work-outs. Anyone who tells you to do a lot of reps is an idiot, because science shows that you see more muscle gain by lifting something heavy, fewer times. Being able to do around 8 repetitions is good, and then you expand the amount of series and weights along with your progress. More weights does not equal to "bulkier" muscles. See proteins.

Restitution. This is possibly the most important part of your workout. Your muscles, as Zeo mentioned, have to be rebuilt. This is done while you aren't working out. Space out your strength training routines with at least 1 day in between. If you get really, really fit, you can do a strength routine every 24 hours, but it's unlikely you'll get there in a short while.

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Avenger has it spot on.

Restitution. This is possibly the most important part of your workout. Your muscles, as Zeo mentioned, have to be rebuilt. This is done while you aren't working out. Space out your strength training routines with at least 1 day in between. If you get really, really fit, you can do a strength routine every 24 hours, but it's unlikely you'll get there in a short while.
So much this. Ligaments don't improve as fast as muscles do(or at least this was explained to me by my doctor) so it's a good way to tear a tendon. Then all your effort goes down the drain because you've got to wait months for that **** to heal thoroughly.

Simply some greatass
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
The best way to get toned is to buy a membership and go to the gym. It's quite simple, LOTS of reps for each muscle-group exercises. Its somewhat a mixture of heavyish weight for high reps. I had 6.5% body fat and an 8 pack at one time lol. If you are actually serious about this, than you must dedicate to a gym and work hard and not give up in a month. Every three months is when you will actually notice a difference. I also trained with a B.C gold medalist (Canada) who does personal training and learned alot from him. I would say look for a basic 3 day split program on the internet aswell. Ive also heard really good things about the famous 300 workout as an alternative to the gym somewhat.

When it comes to protein, you want whey protein and you also want your bodyweight in grams. Example if you weigh 150 lbs than you want 150g's of protein a day. This is standard and some people actually do more than their bodyweight.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Be advised: I was going to make a legitimate work out post with diagrams in mspaint, but I decided I'd rather play Deus Ex: Human Revolution. If you guys actually want that, I'll do it eventually. Just keep in mind this game is ******* amazing, though, so be patient.

Just to get you back into the game, I'd go with this for now:

Push ups
Sit ups
Squats
Pull ups
Running

Now, when it comes to do these kinds of exercises, people like to take the easy way out. I don't understand it, but it happens every time. Don't half ass the work out. Don't take 15 minute breaks between each exercise. Find out what your max number of reps is for each exercise. Once you've established that, you can either do pyramids (which I'll explain right after this), or you can try to go for your max every set. By the last set, you should be thoroughly ****ed up.

A pyramid is starting with a relatively low number of reps, increasing with each set until you hit the apex, or the middle set, and then work your way back down. You will most definitely see results this way. That said, I prefer aiming for my max every time. Why? Because working out is almost entirely mental, and I always feel like I have more to give after doing pyramids.

The way you should do the above exercises is do your max, rest 1 minute. Do another set. Rest 1 minute. Do this for 5 sets. It doesn't sound like a lot, but again, if you're doing the exercise correctly, you'll be thoroughly ****ed up. Especially with the squats. Once you've done that a couple of times, obviously taking rest days (which is when I usually run), you can mix it up a bit and rather than rest, do a different exercise. So you do your push ups, then do squats, then do push ups, then do squats. Until you're done with that. Then move on to the sit ups and pull ups. Obviously, do it in one day. There's no reason why the above should destroy you to the point where you're only doing 2 exercises a day. If you do less than 10 pull ups, you should probably do a pull up/push up mix.

Proper form is key with all exercises. When you do a pull up, you're not kipping or cycling like a mad man. You need to be able to do a dead-hang pull up. That's going up, chin above the bar, go down, arms locked out. All the way back up. Anything less is cheating yourself. You only get what you put into it. When doing push ups, chest hits the deck, go back up. You can do it fast like a mad man, or you can do it slowly and actually build strength. There are pros to both, but you're going to want to start off with actually building a base with which to work with. Start off at a slow speed. Watch videos for squats and sit ups. With squats, don't hurt yourself. They're just prison squats. Your ass doesn't have to hit the floor. But don't do retard squats, either, where you go down an inch and call it a day. There are a million kinds of sit ups. I'd go with the standard lie down on your back, legs raised forming a 90 degree angle, arms on your biceps and have your elbows touch your knees. Then do side sit ups or whatever they're called where you have one leg on the ground, one leg raised forming a 90 degree angle, and have your opposite elbow touch that knee while your other arm remains on the ground.

In any case, this is probably the most basic routine one can do. But its a good way to get back in the groove. If you feel too weak to work out the next day, go sprinting. I hate running long distance, so I do 800m sprints 4 times and call it a day. Do whatever you want so long as you're destroying your body temporarily. Don't push yourself so hard that you're causing long term damage, though. That's just stupid. Remember. Rest and nutrition is just as important as actually working out. If you overwork your body, you're not going to see any results. You'll just end up feeling weaker because you're all torn up.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
The best way to get toned is to buy a membership and go to the gym. It's quite simple, LOTS of reps for each muscle-group exercises. Its somewhat a mixture of heavyish weight for high reps. I had 6.5% body fat and an 8 pack at one time lol. If you are actually serious about this, than you must dedicate to a gym and work hard and not give up in a month. Every three months is when you will actually notice a difference. I also trained with a B.C gold medalist (Canada) who does personal training and learned alot from him. I would say look for a basic 3 day split program on the internet aswell. Ive also heard really good things about the famous 300 workout as an alternative to the gym somewhat.

When it comes to protein, you want whey protein and you also want your bodyweight in grams. Example if you weigh 150 lbs than you want 150g's of protein a day. This is standard and some people actually do more than their bodyweight.
I believe that what you meant is 1g per KG of body weight not per pound.
Some link to prove http://www.menshealth.com/mhlists/guide-to-protein/recommended-protein-intake.php .

That protein intake is way too much unless that guy is some sort of power lifter or w/e.

As for the topic starter : Yeah push ups , sit ups, pull ups, etc are a start but seriously buy some dumbbells . The kind of dumbell that you can adjust the weight on it. Gives you so much more possibilites, hell you could even hang them on your feet when doing pull ups.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I believe that what you meant is 1g per KG of body weight not per pound.
Some link to prove http://www.menshealth.com/mhlists/guide-to-protein/recommended-protein-intake.php .

That protein intake is way too much unless that guy is some sort of power lifter or w/e.

As for the topic starter : Yeah push ups , sit ups, pull ups, etc are a start but seriously buy some dumbbells . The kind of dumbell that you can adjust the weight on it. Gives you so much more possibilites, hell you could even hang them on your feet when doing pull ups.
I'm thinking anyone who doesnt know how to work out probably can't do too many pull ups, let alone with dumbbells hanging from their feet. If you're going to do that, you may as well get a chain or belt and tie the dumbbell to that. Anything hanging from your ankles is probably bad for your knees. If your legs are straight down when doing a pull up, you're wrong.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Yes. Was just saying Dumbells give him so much more possibilities for working out. You can work all your upper body with different exercises with 2 dumbells.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🍂 Regular
Best answers
Yeah well im 21 now, when i first started working at 16 i paid for a £30 a month membership at a gym and i used to go there every night doing 1 hour work out programs on different muscle groups in my body, then afterwards go for a swim. when i hit 18 i went into a relationship and i never went back to that gym since i first started dating her. A year later we split up and i cant seem to regain my motivation to go back to the gym, ive become really lazy.. then it dawned on me if i was going to this gym every night, i would be paying £3.00 bus fair each day.....so the gym would really cost me £120 over 30 days.

I prefer free weights rather than machines, if im using a machine its so easy to favour one half of my body when lifting or pulling which doesnt seem to equal out.

Ive been watching a few videos of this guy on youtube, hes asian :O he gives out a **** load of training advice and theres nothing on his channel in which you have to pay for to get this information
http://www.youtube.com/user/sixpackshortcuts

My other concern is nutrition, i know i should be eating 5 small meals a day at the same time every day for good results but as far as protein goes, what are the best protein foods?

Force Pit Member
Best answers
If you are really getting into training a doing some mini bodybuilding I would advise you to really search for some nutrition tips on Google. In order for your body to be rebuilt it needs it's bricks, and those are nutrients. So the more you train and workout the more you will have to eat. But the most important piece of information you will have to learn is, How do I eat correctly? That mixed what the others said regarding workouts, will make you massive!

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
My other concern is nutrition, i know i should be eating 5 small meals a day at the same time every day for good results but as far as protein goes, what are the best protein foods?
Anything that bleeds is a good source of protein. Eggs work, too. That said, it's cheaper to get protein powder. I can't afford to eat as much as I'd need to to stay in shape, so protein powder works out perfectly for me. Personally, I think you're better off being in fighting shape than being huge, which is what it seems like some people are suggesting.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The cheapest "food" source of nutrition is chicken filets, frozen (to my knowledge). Protein powder works fine as well (and is far cheaper if you calculate cost per gram of protein). Make sure you get the one based on milk products, it is apparently more easily absorbed than many others.

As long as you get at least 50 grams of protein every day, you will probably get a bit stronger. But if you want to get a lot stronger, you will have to get more than that.

Super Saiyan Dabura
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The actual work-outs. Anyone who tells you to do a lot of reps is an idiot, because science shows that you see more muscle gain by lifting something heavy, fewer times.
Here goes the science class boi again, nice job educating yourself, I guess you can't understand my post about working out since that exp doesn't come with your wiki research, and stop flaming me between the lines you ignorant little *****. He should listen to you if he wants to be a bodybuilder type, slow and big, depending all the time on supplementation to stay that way, which is a really expensive path.

You can look good and have badass strenght by working out only with your body weight and find the needed proteins through normal food.

[video=youtube;IXloQ-tDPKA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXloQ-tDPKA[/video]
[video=youtube;wbxEdnDrIk0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbxEdnDrIk0[/video]

Check other related videos of Beastmode, Hannibal and other barbarians. Those guys have strenght that Avengers mind can't figure out through wikipedia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom