What Could it Mean?! Latest Portal Patch

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Today, Valve Software published an update to Portal through Steam. The only patch note:

"Changed radio transmission frequency to comply with federal and state spectrum management regulations"

Along with this cryptic change, is a new achievement, titled "Transmission Received", which Shacker ghost in my shell reported unlocking after he "put the radio on the red button on the first stage." At this point it "started spitting out Morse code."

We're still unsure what is actually going on here, but mysterious things appear to be afoot. At the very least, I'd recommend getting this achievement.

I've reached out to Valve Software for comment and I'll keep you updated of any new information.

Update: The following is reportedly a sound made by an in-game radio when thrown into a force field: "Dinosaur_Fizzle" noise Warning: Loud!.

Update 2: Steam users have found 26 new sound files containing around 17 minutes of Morse code. The first file has been translated to read: "interior transmission active external data line active message digest active". Something big is going on.

Update 3: In-game video of some of the Morse code and the above "Dinosaur_Fizzle" noise. Additionally, check these two videos of the near 18-minutes of sounds: Part 1 - Part 2
Source: http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/62575

Last edited by a moderator:
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Obviously the reptilians are out to get us, and fluoride will kill you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dudemeister
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Strangely I couldn't get the achievement <.<

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
As anyone would imagine, the Portal community is on the case:

http://half-life.wikia.com/wiki/Aperture_Science_Radio

Also, a second Portal update was released:

Steel yourself for another round of ...whatever it is that Valve's doing with Portal PC, as a second mystery update for the game just arrived via Steam. The only <strike>clue</strike> note:

Added valuable asset retrieval​

The first mystery update, released Monday, added various radio transmissions to the 2007 game--leading to Morse code, hidden images and even a secret Apeture Science BBS--all the while prompting speculation that a Portal 2 and/or Half-Life 2: Episode Three announcement is imminent.

Update: Gamers are reporting that the ending to the game has been changed. A video has been uploaded, which shows the altered sequence. What used to fade to black now takes very interesting twist using one of the soundbytes uncovered in the original content patch from Monday.
Source: http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/62622

Here's to hoping that it's Portal 2 and/or Half-Life 2: Episode Three.

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
oh WOW, this is a pretty original way of doing things. I approve!
I'm quite anxious to find what they have instore for us..

PORTAL 2 YES PLEASE!

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Guessing it has to do with the forthcoming HL news or whatever. Probably at E3 or something. Someone mentioned something about March 12 tho. Can't remember. Better be some fsking news on Ep3. Even if it's "Um, yeah, we're finally actually working on this" :p

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Portal 2 has been officially announced:

Following mysterious updates to the original game and various teases, Valve Software has now officially announced the existence of Portal 2 through Game Informer.

Few other details on the puzzle-shooter sequel were revealed, though Game Informer notes that it is "a stand-alone, full-price retail release" with "new gameplay mechanics, storyline, and some surprising new twists."

Update: Portal 2 will hit "this coming holiday season," according to maker Valve.
Source: http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/62662

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
They had to finish up a viral marketing strategy like that with an announcement like this.

I'm VERY pleased to hear that this is all official, now :)

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
There are much easier ways to kill yourself...

But still, am I the only one who still hasn't played Portal 1 yet? :]

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
There are much easier ways to kill yourself...

But still, am I the only one who still hasn't played Portal 1 yet? :]
noes, you're not alone ^_^

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Want ep.3, **** portal 2.

Actually want both at same time. Gaming threesome ftw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom