$3459 for 3D Studio Max!?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i believe the courts considder it the same as stealing a mans tools, which is worse than murder
Bahahahaha!

Tools can always be replaced, people can't.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
setting your clock to 2099 makes lots of stuff stop working lol.

anyway, there are a few of you coming dangerously close to WAREZ talk. i would suggest steering clear of that.

Best answers
Okay, checking further, the penalty for making illegal copies of DVDs is a $25,000 fine.

Civil fines for illegal software are $150,000 for each piece of software present, and it's a fine for each computer it is present upon. So if you steal Photoshop and 3DSMax, that's $300,000 in fines, if only on one computer.

I don't support piracy. Piracy is not a crime that has no victims. You want an example? My example is Headfirst Productions, who published (and licensed) the game Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth. The game suffered two issues -- piracy and advertising.

The game had only a little advertising done for it, and it passed somewhat under the radar. The game DID develop quite the audience over time, but, the audience was larger than the number of copies sold (speculatively close to 7:3 for stolen-legitimate ratio). Because of piracy, instead the producers went bankrupt and the company was dismantled in April of 2006. So, it's not really known what the status on the Cthulhu license is...

Besides, there are hundreds of programs you can use that aren't commercial software. Blender is an awesome modeler program, for example. Want to develop some software? Bloodshed Dev-C++ or Microsoft's Visual Studio 2005 Express work well.[SIZE=-1]

Just do yourself, and the IT industry a favour, don't pirate software, and don't support someone who does. If you want to see something new, that isn't made by the same two developers (who tend to make carbon copies of the same game every time they make one -- here's looking at you Battlefield and Half-Life games), then support the creators.
[/SIZE]

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah but if you wanna get into the industry its almost always required you have experience with said software. Not only that, but industry standard software is industry standard for a reason, it enables you to do things you cannot with other software, or it becomes an arduous task to do these things without the software.

When you're trying to get your foot in the door, and you're talented but broke, does that mean you shouldn't be allowed?

Fact is, they dont go out of their way to look into people who pirate developer software for personal use, since the only thing that they're really concerned about is companies using pirate software for work that will be published, since this is the only way they're actually loosing out on money. What would hurt the entire business more is cracking down on the personal use, since all future potential artists will have to come from well off backgrounds and have to go through years of payed tutoring through college.

Really, keeping the tools away from potential artists is more of a crime if you ask me.

Best answers
The IT industry gives software for that kind of development and experience. Ever heard of gMax?

I don't care what you say, there is no way to justify piracy. Not a ****ing chance. Piracy is inappropriate, and illegal for a reason. You can say any reasons you want, whatever helps you sleep at night. But just remember, when something you create gets stolen, don't get angry and don't pursue any actions for it -- you believe it's alright, so, you don't have any reason to do anything about it.

It's a two-way street. Theft is theft, whether what you're stealing is a program, a CD, a chocolate bar, a satelite signal, or even just someone else's idea.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sandstorm said:
I don't care what you say, there is no way to justify piracy.
Somehow I can't picture Adobe losing the slightest bit of money at all because little Joe Makes-his-own-sigs illegally downloads their program. It's not a case where they are pirating it to not have to buy it, or even pirating so they can try before they go out and buy it, it's a case where they are pirating it because they simply cannot afford to buy it, and doing so would be unjustified and stupid.

Best answers
Once again -- there are other programs you can use, that can accomplish the results you want; don't try and justify piracy because it suits you.

There are 150,000 reasons to not pirate software -- cause that's what you risk paying. There are 20 reasons not to distribute pirated software -- the number of years you'll spend behind bars.

Say, justify, or come up with whatever helps you sleep at night -- just spare me from having to read it, cause I've seen all the reasons out there, and I still haven't seen a good reason for it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
There are 150,000 reasons to not pirate software -- cause that's what you risk paying. There are 20 reasons not to distribute pirated software -- the number of years you'll spend behind bars.
I have also smoked marijuana, I download guitar tabs rather than buying books of them, and I've photocopied pages from a textbook because I didn't want to pay twice as much for the "new" edition with everything the same except different questions, yet somehow I don't live in fear that the RCMP is going to come bust down my door and haul me off to jail for it.

Oh, I jaywalk too.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Mkay, I'll post what i wrote earlier then.

I tried Gmax, and that was useless. I tried gimp too, also not quite up to scratch. Not to mention its almost useless when you do get into the industry and what they want you to use is different, a software can prettymuch do the same things as any other software, look at SV using Milkshape 3D and pulling off much better models than people using 3dsmax, thats not whats the issue here though, what is, is that you need to know certain programs to even get close to having a chance to land certain jobs. If you're going for a job that requires you to know 3 or 4 different types of software, some of which you dont know or have, you gonna shell out 10k just for the 20k a year job?

I get the chance to full-fill a life ambition through using programs I don't have the money for, from corporations that are thriving on the industrial market not the average consumer. It's not a luxury, its not there for you to work all day for a few months so you can purchase, turn it on and relax, it's a tool for an industry, and industry which is very new, and still cultivating.

In some ways you could say the same for a library, you can go there, pick up any books you want for free, learn from them and then return them. If they're invaluable to you, you will purchase them.

College, moves at snail speed, I learn hardly anything on their fully licenced program, what i do in my own time at home and I put hard work and dedication into is where I learn most.

You must understand I don't know many, if any, people who started off in the games industry with their own fully licensed copy of development software. It's just not something you do when you're learning unless you've got some money to burn. If it worked in another way, your favourite game up there might not even have been made. When I land a job in the industry, you can bet I'll purchase a copy of every software I personaly use, It seems only right to me. But untill that day comes, I'd prefer to eat and have a future, than one or the other.

Best answers
Rather than bash this horse back and forth, I'm going to need to end this conversation with an agreement to disagree. We've strayed from the topic of the price of Software (which is, admittedly, ridiculous for commercial software).

I once looked at the price of Maya, and I saw a price tag of about $12,000... Just because you offer the best software on the market doesn't mean you should go all Dr Dip**** about it and put a $12,000 price tag or even a $1,200 price tag on it.

Believe me David, I see things from both angles of the argument. I'm not the pro-industry fiend I appear to be. I look at all topics from both sides. I just don't like absolutes (ie- only one side of the argument gets to say something).

If I released a 3d modeling package tomorrow, would I be asking $500? Chances are 99.99% in favour of no. Maybe $100 per license, but, while I can't justify stealing a $2500 program, I also can't justify charging $2500 for software.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Rather than bash this horse back and forth, I'm going to need to end this conversation with an agreement to disagree. We've strayed from the topic of the price of Software (which is, admittedly, ridiculous for commercial software).

I once looked at the price of Maya, and I saw a price tag of about $12,000... Just because you offer the best software on the market doesn't mean you should go all Dr Dip**** about it and put a $12,000 price tag or even a $1,200 price tag on it.

Believe me David, I see things from both angles of the argument. I'm not the pro-industry fiend I appear to be. I look at all topics from both sides. I just don't like absolutes (ie- only one side of the argument gets to say something).

If I released a 3d modeling package tomorrow, would I be asking $500? Chances are 99.99% in favour of no. Maybe $100 per license, but, while I can't justify stealing a $2500 program, I also can't justify charging $2500 for software.
The high road? On the internet? I tip my hat.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
OK, i am going to close this thread now.

the way it stands we have two oppinions:

1. it is ok to steal something if it helps you, you are tallented, can't afford it, and would genuinely benefit from having it.

2. it is not ok to steal, period.

i would probably, in this instance, agree with the second. on the basis that it is NOT a NEED, it is a WANT. you don't NEED any form of software, hell you don't NEED a computer. so to say that having a piece of development software will give you a better way of life is rediculous, and it certainly won't help you stay alive. all it will do is help you express a tallent, when, lets face it, paper and a pencil will do the same thing.

I agree that the prices can seem a bit high, but when you considder that those prices are aimed at company use, and there ARE cheaper, and definately affordable licences for general users, there really is no excuse.

lets try not to go off topic next time eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom