1st brushing attempt

Best answers
Nothing new to you guys but what can i say, im a newbie. I heard of brushing long ago but paid no attention to it as i havent really touched a graphics prog in a while.

my first attempt using about 5 of the 40+ brushes i made the last few days.

Should i keep it up or should i let it go?

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Not bad, but your brushes around the outside need more tone. Good attempt though.

Best answers
Metalburn said:
Not bad, but your brushes around the outside need more tone. Good attempt though.
thx, but im not exactly sure what you mean by tone, could you plz explain?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
its not bad. if you feathered those dense grey area it would be alot nicer.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ZeroNightmare said:
its not bad. if you feathered those dense grey area it would be alot nicer.
I don' t think gimp has that option. o_O

Nice dude, I haven't seen much gimp work but eh it needs color. :eek:

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
oh, i didnt read, i just looked at the pic.

if it cant, just use the eraser and tweak the opacity.

Best answers
Dj^Swift said:
I don' t think gimp has that option. o_O

Nice dude, I haven't seen much gimp work but eh it needs color. :eek:
Ok i faded the sides and the top a bit if that's what was meant by tone, and yea gimp has feather. version im using is right up there with ps7, however because the image was already flattened(never saved xcf<-psd equivalent) I just used the eraser.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
the gimp interests me.. ive installed it aswell and messed around with it, didnt make anything serious with it. you state that gimp is better than photoshop.. well hows that? i mean, im pretty sure it can do what photoshop can, and all the same the other way around.
so what is that factor that would make gimp "better" than photoshop?
i think photoshop is still better because its more universally used, i know that doesnt make the program better, but it does result in more support(communitybase wise), tutorials etc.

Best answers
dudeman said:
the gimp interests me.. ive installed it aswell and messed around with it, didnt make anything serious with it. you state that gimp is better than photoshop.. well hows that? i mean, im pretty sure it can do what photoshop can, and all the same the other way around.
so what is that factor that would make gimp "better" than photoshop?
i think photoshop is still better because its more universally used, i know that doesnt make the program better, but it does result in more support(communitybase wise), tutorials etc.

Its give and take, there are some things gimp has "out of the box" photoshop doesn't while in photoshop you have the blending options menu when you right click a layer, which so far is what i notice gimp is missing which keeps it from being really great.

the one big thing missing is that extensive beveling tool. although gimp has a bevel and emboss filter its not as feature/option rich as the ps one. for all the other blending options there are filters or workarounds in gimp.

In terms of tuts, i think ive only seen 1 on deviantart that caught my eye, which was how to make nice shiny beveled bubble font. the others ive googled arent impressive at all and the outcome is usually pixelated or blurred. but ive looked up photoshop tuts and have done them in gimp.

I like ps and psp, but once i stumbled on to gimp i rarely go back. I dunno, im just taken in by the prog and somewhat amazed at how feature-rich it is yet given away like free bread. The developers have been fixing bugs and adding and revising tools/features for the next release, so I'm like O_O

if u find it awkward get gimpshop where some tools have been renamed and the menu layout rearranged to look similar to photoshop's. also the three individual windows are under one main window to keep the taskbar uncluttered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom