It is time to change the current mainstream music

Like a Boss? :O
๐ŸŒ  Staff
๐ŸŒˆ Beta Tester
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
Best answers
@Baaja While I respectfully disagree, I can understand the point you are making. It may just be a me thing, the classical pieces from various artists have hit me on many different levels through my life, so I may feel they are a bit more complex because they 'speak' to me, unlike the music from Skrillex.

As you stated before however, this is a 'debate' no one will ever win as everyone has a different taste in music. What's good and bad, what is classic and what isn't.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
I'm just going to put this here...
[video=youtube;pIgwN37w660]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIgwN37w660&feature=fvst[/video]
OP got a point!

sub

๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
I laughed. To be fair, though, that Friday song was just made to indulge a rich girls dream, I don't think anyone involved thought it was a great work of art.

๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
All the hipsters I know maintain that Rebecca Black's "Friday" is a masterpiece, but they're the only ones that know it.

Judge. Jury. Executioner
๐Ÿ‘ฎ Moderator
โ˜… Black Lounger โ˜…
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
[video=youtube;9QS0q3mGPGg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QS0q3mGPGg&feature=BFa&list=FL3E1nvPlT3dd suy4ptLYTeg&lf=BFp[/video]

I can't believe you'd link Songify songs which didn't include this one. Shame on you Sub, SHAME ON YOU!

And those Orchestral pieces were really good. Never heard from the dude before.

Only go forward sideways
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐ŸŽˆ Advanced
Best answers
I wonder what I was listening to when I was a kid, because I actually like a bit of every genre. I go by the principle that I am never biased towards a genre or a performer/band and if I like a song it can be of any genre and from anybody. For instance I listen to Hip-Hop/Rap, Punk Rock, Old School Rock, R&B, some Pop, Dubstep, DnB, House, Minimal, Goldies of the likes of Michael Jackson and Elvis and such, Oldies especially the ones that came out just after each war(think of Fallout 3 radio soundtrack), I find em very motivational, I also listen to Jazz and Blues and I had a Classical music phase too and while I dont listen to it frequently, it doesnt bother me the slightest.

Generally, I can appreciate music as an art form whenever they use sounds cleverly to make a nice "flow" in a song and when the lyrics are at least somewhat meaningful, or clever in rap, in conveying a message or "guiding" a certain mood.

One of the most talented person imo and a person that I have always looked up to and admired is Mike Shinoda from Linkin Park. That guys is an exceptional human being, he is so very talented in music as well as art and the rest of the band is pretty much the same as well, hence why they click together so well. I think this is partly due to his Japanese origins though. Which I have always been fascinated by as well.

As for Skrillex, considering he succesfully moved from rock to a completely different genre is what I find interesting about him, although I cant say Im a big fan of his songs but I do like Dubstep when it isnt a collection of random, disjointed, brutal sounds stringed together. Wish I could share my iTunes songs with you guys but since I cant, here is an example of the dubstep I like:
This one really touches me deeply and brings me on the edge of crying inside, granted because of the lyrics:

[video=youtube;fOVJxiuhNA4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOVJxiuhNA4[/video]

Last edited:
Only go forward sideways
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐ŸŽˆ Advanced
Best answers
This one has very interesting sounds:

[video=youtube;opiKgbc8cPk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opiKgbc8cPk[/video]

(I think limiting every post to just 1 video is bull****. Allow us 2 per post at least...)

Last edited:
Judge. Jury. Executioner
๐Ÿ‘ฎ Moderator
โ˜… Black Lounger โ˜…
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Sub posted 2 videos right in this very thread.

Whatchu talkin' about Willis?

sub

๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Just a guess, but maybe different user groups have different permissions for that. I'm in the beta tester group, he's in the registered user group. To give an example of something that I know was messed up, for the longest time, the beta tester forum group couldn't change the user title (text that appears under the name) because the group was never given permission to. I don't know why there'd be a difference though, that's just weird.

Last edited:
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
I like some mainstream music. I can pinpoint traits of a song on the radio that I feel adds to the degradation of music.

Soulja Boy. The boy can not rap. His beats are a little catchy. So gets all this money and spotlight, record deals, etc. Makes young black men look horrible. If you give me an awesome production team, I could ******* do what Soulja Boy does.

I like techno/electronica before it was cool (<--hipster, I know). But now mainstream music dictates it is cool to make every 8/10 songs electronica/dance/trance based? Every pop song has a "drop" in it now? I get cultures have trends, that's a fact, not everyone can be "underground", but many times I get the feeling some of these songs out there are made because they noticed electronica is in and then they throw a little bit of poppy singing or rapping in there.

Speaking of rapping, a lot of mainstream rapper do not rap about ****. Not every rap song needs to be deep, partying is fine ( a lot of rocks songs do it, naysayers forget), but lyrics are so generic, uninspired, or not clever it's pathetic. I swear it's just filler to get back to the chorus because that is that it is: DANCE. I'll dance to all this ****, but on the radio by myself I am more inclined to listen and think, which ,many of these songs aren't meant to.

But I have my iPhone filled with 2/3 video game music, so whatever.

๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
I've recently rekindled my hatred for rap, since a Norwegian rap group made a song where they literally sing "We're retarded" as if it's cool. I have a strong physical urge to punch them in the face.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
The Avenger, truly lives up to his name!

I think that we all can agree that Mike Shinoda from Linkin Park, is a godsend! Those tunes, and the remastered ones are insane e.g Crawling vs Krwlng, wow!
Also, I am one that loves every type of music, as long as it's good music. You have your periods, once it was only japanese folk songs, I had gotten inspired by Ikue Asazaki - Obokuri eeumi (the sad song in Samurai Champloo). And then I went back to only listen to Anime Music then Video Game music.

Human?
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
Best answers
Mainstream music feels like music that everyone can party to to me. I'll keep sticking to my Dream Theater and Disturbed. God, I love metal.

Like a Boss? :O
๐ŸŒ  Staff
๐ŸŒˆ Beta Tester
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
Best answers
I think that we all can agree that Mike Shinoda from Linkin Park, is a godsend! Those tunes, and the remastered ones are insane e.g Crawling vs Krwlng, wow!
Ehh.. I'll still take Crawling. They changed the sound way to much for Krwling.

Only go forward sideways
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐ŸŽˆ Advanced
Best answers
Any of you actually heard some of his Mike Shinoda's remixes? Like this one:

[video=youtube;cikrG3_UDmA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cikrG3_UDmA[/video]

Also his work done for the other band he was in called Fort Minor? He wrote lyrics as well as rap + compose some of the beats

Force Pit Member
Best answers
[video=youtube;__HeE6NWmDE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__HeE6NWmDE[/video]
I retract my old video of Rebecka Black, she is a godsend and hugely gifted & talented person!

Swag
๐ŸŒˆ Beta Tester
๐Ÿ‘ฎ Moderator
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐ŸŒŸ Senior Member
Best answers
Death from Above
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
You thought that was bad?

[video=youtube_share;57Sb14dyaUc]http://youtu.be/57Sb14dyaUc[/video]

Judge. Jury. Executioner
๐Ÿ‘ฎ Moderator
โ˜… Black Lounger โ˜…
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
MAKE IT STOP! SOMEONE MAKE IT STOP!!! MY HEAD IS GOING TO EXPLODE!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom