15-Year Anniversary Since First Public Release Thread

βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ‚ Regular
Best answers
I have yet established another anniversary thread to mark the 15-year occasion since the earliest of public releases. I don't have any plans yet on what I want to do for this year's anniversary, but I have contemplating either a livestream or create a montage.

For those wondering where I have disappeared off to; I have pretty much been busy with all sorts of projects of my own.

But anyhow, I thought I would make note that this year will mark 15 years since the first public releases.

βœ”οΈ HL Verified
🌟 Senior Member
Best answers
Wow, 15 years! And they're still here, that's quite an achievement. Go ESF team!
I'm looking forward to your work Bandock, also, could you create a thread of your current projects, i'm curious about what they are.

βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ‚ Regular
Best answers
Wow, 15 years! And they're still here, that's quite an achievement. Go ESF team!
I'm looking forward to your work Bandock, also, could you create a thread of your current projects, i'm curious about what they are.
Sure thing. ;D

Best answers
What are you making a montage of? ESF final? Or the older earth special forces

βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ‚ Regular
Best answers
What are you making a montage of? ESF final? Or the older earth special forces
Older versions of Earth's Special Forces. Alpha 1.5 does work on Steam from my experience with it.

βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
DO IT!!! JUST DO IT!! GIMME LINK NAO PLES

βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ‚ Regular
Best answers
wasn't their an old system called WON? i have little knowledge of it but i remember hearing of it years ago, was it the previous installment to steam or something? will that play alpha? if it even works now..

β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Yes it did and yes it will. Good luck getting older versions of HL installed though.

Super Cool Wicked Guy
🌠 Staff
Best answers
Still have my legal Won HL copy somewhere :D , along with an ancient patch CD

βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ‚ Regular
Best answers
We also still have our WON copy of Half-Life. Haven't played that copy in years (since 2006 I believe). I might boot it up since DragonMod Z screws up on Steam for whatever reason. :p

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Awesome idea, cannot wait to see what unfolds! :) What was the release called 15 years back? I joined a bit later than that I believe, perhaps in the last alpha and played in the first beta release! :)

β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
I can't remember the earliest number but it was just called ESF Alpha 1.x (and 2.0 as well).

As a side note, I actually still have my Half-Life 1 disc and case lying around somewhere as well. I think I actually still have an old retail Counter-Strike CD/case, as well as an old beta version burned on a disc too!

βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ‚ Regular
Best answers
Yeah, I remember there were earlier releases than Alpha 1.5. Unfortunately, I have had no luck finding them even through the Wayback Machine.

Misanthropist
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
How time flies. I have literally taught two kids the Kamehameha since then. Indoctrinating the next generation for Dragonball is important folks - ESF would be a great retirement present, or at least make for an entertaining mid-life crisis.

βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ‚ Regular
Best answers
Finally got a 20 minute video of playing around in Alpha 1.5 (with some funny voice-over work, even if there were some mistakes on it): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gX8iUsStFtc (720p @ 60fps)

It took a very long time to upload due to the fact I might've had the quality set way too high (it came out to be 2.85GB!). I might look into recording 1080p @ 60fps quality videos, though some games have had issues with jittering around due to relying on x264 (which takes CPU). I would've livestreamed it, but currently suffer from low upload rates and Twitch probably wouldn't let me use 60fps anyway. :p

β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Oh wow, I remember esf_lake. I couldn't remember what map it was until now, I've been trying to figure it out for the longest time. I always remembered it as a snow map though, guess I was wrong about that.

βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ‚ Regular
Best answers
Ah yes, good old esf_lake. I remember fighting on that map with my siblings (over LAN of course) back in 2001.

And about the video, it seems to be I posted the video with way too high a bitrate (which caused the quality to deteriorate towards the end when it compressed it). Next time before I post any future video, I'll either reduce the bitrate through Open Broadcaster Software or even use Handbrake to do it after recording).

Edit: Also, I'm going to convert them to use Variable Bitrate. That is something I also forgot about when posting videos on YouTube.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom