15-Year Anniversary Since First Public Release Thread

Proud owner of Half-Life
Best answers
I have yet established another anniversary thread to mark the 15-year occasion since the earliest of public releases. I don't have any plans yet on what I want to do for this year's anniversary, but I have contemplating either a livestream or create a montage.

For those wondering where I have disappeared off to; I have pretty much been busy with all sorts of projects of my own.

But anyhow, I thought I would make note that this year will mark 15 years since the first public releases.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Wow, 15 years! And they're still here, that's quite an achievement. Go ESF team!
I'm looking forward to your work Bandock, also, could you create a thread of your current projects, i'm curious about what they are.

Proud owner of Half-Life
Best answers
Wow, 15 years! And they're still here, that's quite an achievement. Go ESF team!
I'm looking forward to your work Bandock, also, could you create a thread of your current projects, i'm curious about what they are.
Sure thing. ;D

Steam Registered User
Best answers
What are you making a montage of? ESF final? Or the older earth special forces

Proud owner of Half-Life
Best answers
What are you making a montage of? ESF final? Or the older earth special forces
Older versions of Earth's Special Forces. Alpha 1.5 does work on Steam from my experience with it.

Proud owner of Half-Life
Best answers
wasn't their an old system called WON? i have little knowledge of it but i remember hearing of it years ago, was it the previous installment to steam or something? will that play alpha? if it even works now..

👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yes it did and yes it will. Good luck getting older versions of HL installed though.

Super Cool Wicked Guy
Staff Member
Best answers
Still have my legal Won HL copy somewhere :D , along with an ancient patch CD

Proud owner of Half-Life
Best answers
We also still have our WON copy of Half-Life. Haven't played that copy in years (since 2006 I believe). I might boot it up since DragonMod Z screws up on Steam for whatever reason. :p

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Awesome idea, cannot wait to see what unfolds! :) What was the release called 15 years back? I joined a bit later than that I believe, perhaps in the last alpha and played in the first beta release! :)

👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I can't remember the earliest number but it was just called ESF Alpha 1.x (and 2.0 as well).

As a side note, I actually still have my Half-Life 1 disc and case lying around somewhere as well. I think I actually still have an old retail Counter-Strike CD/case, as well as an old beta version burned on a disc too!

Proud owner of Half-Life
Best answers
Yeah, I remember there were earlier releases than Alpha 1.5. Unfortunately, I have had no luck finding them even through the Wayback Machine.

Misanthropist
★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
How time flies. I have literally taught two kids the Kamehameha since then. Indoctrinating the next generation for Dragonball is important folks - ESF would be a great retirement present, or at least make for an entertaining mid-life crisis.

Proud owner of Half-Life
Best answers
Finally got a 20 minute video of playing around in Alpha 1.5 (with some funny voice-over work, even if there were some mistakes on it): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gX8iUsStFtc (720p @ 60fps)

It took a very long time to upload due to the fact I might've had the quality set way too high (it came out to be 2.85GB!). I might look into recording 1080p @ 60fps quality videos, though some games have had issues with jittering around due to relying on x264 (which takes CPU). I would've livestreamed it, but currently suffer from low upload rates and Twitch probably wouldn't let me use 60fps anyway. :p

👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Oh wow, I remember esf_lake. I couldn't remember what map it was until now, I've been trying to figure it out for the longest time. I always remembered it as a snow map though, guess I was wrong about that.

Proud owner of Half-Life
Best answers
Ah yes, good old esf_lake. I remember fighting on that map with my siblings (over LAN of course) back in 2001.

And about the video, it seems to be I posted the video with way too high a bitrate (which caused the quality to deteriorate towards the end when it compressed it). Next time before I post any future video, I'll either reduce the bitrate through Open Broadcaster Software or even use Handbrake to do it after recording).

Edit: Also, I'm going to convert them to use Variable Bitrate. That is something I also forgot about when posting videos on YouTube.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)