ESF Mod

Best answers
The mod itself is great, though the people playing it well, most of them(that I have encountered) are asses. Double teaming, gay over use of teleport, attacking you when your just doing random things for fun, and (my favorite) going into the newb servers when they CLEARLY are not newbs. Game has alot of potential, but more servers that are actually watched would be nice.

The Prodigy
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
You're playing in a Free For All server, double teaming isn't against the rules. Teleporting isn't against the rules either, its part of the game. If you want to do "random things for fun" and not get attacked, make your own private game and do it, people don't necessarily have to listen to you. Basically you're just going to have to deal with it.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's part of the game. Practice until you don't suck as much.

Old School
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You get this from nearly every mod dude. Plus, this is a DBZ mod, so its going to attract a younger (more immature) crowd, unfortunately.

As far as the servers go, I think once the mod releases the final version you should see more of them.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
get used to it, i suck at the game to so i always just play in my own server

Best answers
You're playing in a Free For All server, double teaming isn't against the rules. Teleporting isn't against the rules either, its part of the game. If you want to do "random things for fun" and not get attacked, make your own private game and do it, people don't necessarily have to listen to you. Basically you're just going to have to deal with it.
I didn't say it was against the rules did I? Just sayin its gay. As someone in another thread(through many many words) was saying, alot of people stop playing this game as it becomes hard to play with the experts running around the newb servers. "Yeah, ok, you can beam jump and dance around me like a blind man, good for you". I play in mixed matches(some free for all and some team). And I have made my own servers/rooms, yet the A.I. hardly makes that fun. Half the time anymore I just spawn and shoot the ground with weapon 2 over and over because thats more fun than playing half the people I meet.

The Prodigy
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
Just because you think it's "gay" doesn't mean other people do. You can't even exactly double team in a FFA because the two people will collide as well, it's every man for themselves. Sure you'll get hit from behind every now and then, it's your job to dodge hits them, and counter with your own attack.

Unfortunately it's the experts who put up the servers in the first place, that's why the "newbs only" rule isn't enforced. I don't think Drew should have named his servers that either because it just seems like a bait to me. But hey, you could buy a server and enforce the rule yourself.

It's just too bad people aren't going to play how you want them to. It happens in every game not just ESF, people play how they want to play, not by what you rule as "gay" or not. You can spawn and shoot ki blasts at yourself if you think that's fun, or you can practice and actually get good.

Best answers
Just because you think it's "gay" doesn't mean other people do. You can't even exactly double team in a FFA because the two people will collide as well, it's every man for themselves. Sure you'll get hit from behind every now and then, it's your job to dodge hits them, and counter with your own attack.

Unfortunately it's the experts who put up the servers in the first place, that's why the "newbs only" rule isn't enforced. I don't think Drew should have named his servers that either because it just seems like a bait to me. But hey, you could buy a server and enforce the rule yourself.

It's just too bad people aren't going to play how you want them to. It happens in every game not just ESF, people play how they want to play, not by what you rule as "gay" or not. You can spawn and shoot ki blasts at yourself if you think that's fun, or you can practice and actually get good.
You know its BS.

and a more lengthy version of what I have been trying to say(shortened)

It was interesting reading all of the replies here. I do agree that 1.2.3 is extremely hard to learn, the numbers kind of prove this. 1.2.3 has been downloaded well over a million times, yet we only have a player base of 50 or so people who have stuck with the game. And oddly enough, almost all of these people who have stuck with the game started playing at the same time, right when 1.2.3 was released. I think that, at the time, no one was quite good so new players had room to breathe and learn the game at their own pace. Then as time progressed, the pros got better and better and better until we reach our current point when a new player has almost no chance of learning the game. The problem isn't so much that ESF is hard, all you really need to do is fly into other people holding right click. The problem lies in how good people have become at this system, it's gotten to the point where if you want to get good at ESF, you're going to need 5 months of dying over and over with no chance of even getting a hit, let alone a kill. And after those 5 months, you'll probably only be a decent player compared to the guys at the top.

The answers to all of these questions lies within how hard it is to learn how to play ESF.
Early on in 1.2, the game was much easier to learn. Because everyone who was previously good had to essentially relearn the game, everyone was on equal ground. Players never felt completely helpless, as there was no one good enough yet to make them feel like they had no chance of winning.

Right now in 1.2, the game is nearly impossible to learn. People have mastered the current mechanics of the game, a newbie coming into ESF will die repeatedly until he asks how to play. The playerbase, tired of the same question over and over, will either not respond or tell said player to RTFM. Of course, the player had no idea there was a manual for the game, it mentions it nowhere. But regardless, even if this new player does read the manual, he is facing what is in his mind an impossible battle in learning how to play the game. New players will have no chance of winning vs a seasoned player and, lacking the crutch that was HOWing, will quit the game.

You see, HOWing was a necessary evil. I realize that everyone hated it at the time, but it really was responsible for a lot of people sticking around and learning to play the game.

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's not BS. It's a part of the game. Deal with it, practice, and get good.

The Prodigy
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
You know its BS.

and a more lengthy version of what I have been trying to say(shortened)

That really doesn't seem like what you were trying to say at all. Sub was explaining how the in-game community reached its current point, where all the veterans are very good, and that it's almost impossible for you beginners to kill seasoned players. Sub wasn't saying the way anyone plays is "gay" or incorrect, or anything about double teaming, that's you. Overusing teleport definitely has it's cons, probably more cons than it does pros in my opinion.

Best answers
That really doesn't seem like what you were trying to say at all. Sub was explaining how the in-game community reached its current point, where all the veterans are very good, and that it's almost impossible for you beginners to kill seasoned players. Sub wasn't saying the way anyone plays is "gay" or incorrect, or anything about double teaming, that's you. Overusing teleport definitely has it's cons, probably more cons than it does pros in my opinion.
"going into the newb servers when they CLEARLY are not newbs"

The Prodigy
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
Which I explained there is no actual "newb servers". If you want one, create one yourself.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The noob server we have up at the moment is kind of only a noob server in name. The owner of that server is one of the best players in the game, he plays there all the time. He has no problem with other good people playing there. It's kind of an inside joke at this point that his server is a newb server.

There's really nothing anyone can do about it. Only thing I can really think of is trying to find someone whose about as good as you and playing vs them in a locked server. Or getting your own server and actually banning players who are good.

Last edited:
Best answers
Joining newb servers is "gay" according to you?

Alright, first of all, one of the reasons many people consider ESF a great game is because the difference between someone who is good and someone who sucks is huge.

And when I say huge, I really mean it :p

You may think some people are not "newbs" only because they kick your behind, while in reality they are "newbs" compared to others. So why shouldn't they join the server? It all depends on your point of view :p

Peace.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
All I can say is..... Stop getting owned nub. ;]

Best answers
Joining newb servers is "gay" according to you?

Alright, first of all, one of the reasons many people consider ESF a great game is because the difference between someone who is good and someone who sucks is huge.

And when I say huge, I really mean it :p

You may think some people are not "newbs" only because they kick your behind, while in reality they are "newbs" compared to others. So why shouldn't they join the server? It all depends on your point of view :p

Peace.
...Joining newb servers if your NOT a noob is gay(if you bother the newbs. I've met a few good players who would help me out, but most just keep going and going).

Best answers
The noob server we have up at the moment is kind of only a noob server in name. The owner of that server is one of the best players in the game, he plays there all the time. He has no problem with other good people playing there. It's kind of an inside joke at this point that his server is a newb server.

There's really nothing anyone can do about it. Only thing I can really think of is trying to find someone whose about as good as you and playing vs them in a locked server. Or getting your own server and actually banning players who are good.
I guess. The point of this post was more to help the community grow. I 'Could' make a server(which I have tried yet no one usually joins so I end up playing bots, which are well...boring). If people didn't beat the crap out of the newbs(ive seen a few which knew alot less than even I do) maybe they would stick around and recommend this to others.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hey, if you're looking for some legitimate assistance I'm sure you can find a couple of people who'd be willing to show you some tricks without bouncing you off of the walls. Try the Guest forum first, and if you can't find somebody inside of a couple of days you can try sending me a PM and I'll try to brush off some dust in a server. No promises, my schedule hasn't been the most forgiving lately, but I'll make an effort.

The game has a huge learning curve, and after you pass the point of being a new player you're going to find yourself on auto pilot in free for all servers every round. Staying on the move keeps you alive in a free for all, and nailing players with their back turned to you is how you're going to raise your power level to keep yourself competitive with the better players in the room. It's chaotic, and it turns off newer players, but in time you learn to live with it, and accept that there are people out there willing to duel you in the security of their own servers (or yours).

Also- Please don't double-post on the boards. Use the edit command on your old post if it happens to be the oldest post in the thread. Posting again bumps it to the top, but we'd prefer users didn't bump their own posts... makes the boards easier to maintain.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I guess. The point of this post was more to help the community grow. I 'Could' make a server(which I have tried yet no one usually joins so I end up playing bots, which are well...boring). If people didn't beat the crap out of the newbs(ive seen a few which knew alot less than even I do) maybe they would stick around and recommend this to others.
Honestly, 1.2.3 isn't going to get any more popular, no matter what we do. The next version of ESF should be pretty popular and easier to learn, though. It's a shame though, 1.2.3 is a ton of fun once you get good.

Last edited:
Best answers
It's a big shame that in order to make a popular game you have to make it attractive for those who suck ;)

and it's even a bigger shame because that's exactly what's going on with both ecx and esf 1.3 ...

You don't have to agree with me, btw...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom