Switch to steam

🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Just so that everyone knows you are going to have to switch over to steam within the next 2 weeks. All the servers will be switching over as we have no choice in the matter. Scorched Earth is waiting because frankly steam blows and I want to wait until it has had time to let people onto it. I can already see the amount of spam that is going to arise from problems with it. Luck to everyone in an easy switch over.

*go to hell valve...*

Best answers
well i for one wont be switching, if won goes down, so do my halflifing days...bigger beter games out right njow anyhow

Best answers
Hey we all know STEAM sucks ... I'm hoping it will update my stuff and dosent mess up ... however ... I will allways wear the steam sucks tag ===> Name_SteamReallySucks

Any1 who hates steam should wear this even after steam is put on :D

Best answers
how do u update? ill do it tge day i can't get on ne esf servers

Best answers
valve said that there keepen won up for longer then 2 weeks cause they need to fix steam

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I have no clue, but all I know is that I got steam and my old 1.5 stuff. So i'm coo. :yes:

Best answers
nothing wrong with WON, except that valve wants to "steam"ize all thier products.

I doubt they will force people to switch until they have a very stable steam.

actually, steam was very stable in the latest beta stages .. I think the problem now (after the beta has ended) is the lack of the content servers compared to the mass number of users.

Best answers
te steam site got a DOS attk o_O and i heard that because of that they lost haf there steam code, so this steam must be on a really early beta code *shrug*

🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
They didn't lose any code... There servers are just getting hammered. Won will be taken down in 2 weeks. By then servers will either be on steam or on nothing at all. If you have already installed steam then you won't find any esf servers yet because none of them have switched over to steam yet.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ultraq said:
nothing wrong with WON, except that valve wants to "steam"ize all thier products.

I doubt they will force people to switch until they have a very stable steam.

actually, steam was very stable in the latest beta stages .. I think the problem now (after the beta has ended) is the lack of the content servers compared to the mass number of users.
If I had to guess, it would be that valve's motivation in "steamifying" everything, is to make more money by not having to pay republishing costs. No cds to produce, no nothing...just some servers to maintain. Granted, that's a lot of money, but it's from Valve's revenue to Valve's bills and payments; the money they make from people paying to DL new games from Steam goes right to them, no middle men to pay off.

That's my guess.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Wow, making money? Capitalists trying to make money? Get out of here, hippy!

Seriously, will this make them money? Not real likely. They are telling 56kers to screw off, and there is a big market there. They will still end up shipping out CDs for games to appease those people because they don't want to lose such a huge chunk of their market.

I think they just wanted to try something revolutionary game wise, and I think they've almost pulled it off. Games within a game. Instant messanging, a new interface, improved menus, additional options, fairly user friendly. If Steam had 50 times the bandwidth available and everybody was getting full speed updates nobody would be complaining. The truth is after the updating finishes up and you try to play something with a lot of active running servers like Counter Strike there really isn't a comparison to the old Half Life WON authentication and in-game server location system. It runs extremely well when it is actually running. They still have bugs to hammer out but most of this hating-steam movement is just a bunch of CS hippies that don't want to have to wait around to download a 400 meg update before they can continue playing. I've been playing Natural Selection and Counter Strike and I've noticed *no* reduction in framerate or connection stability. If anything they've improved. People will rally together over anything before they stop and take a look at what their opponents really have to offer.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't know. I still don't like the idea just based off of what it is. The HL/CS community, being given such toys as instant messenging ingame, just strikes me as a not so good idea, and makes me wonder if any of the valve guys have even played their own game sometimes.

Worse yet, I think that Steam's promise of "all future Valve products" is incredibly stupid. You realize after Half-Life 2, they're going to give us some patches and that's it. There ARE no "future product releases."

Best answers
The problem with WON is that it is not owned by valve, and therefor isnt a part of valve, so cheats wont be detected and stopped fast enough, with steam valve can make this (HL) almost cheat free. And Steam will work like windows XP automatic update, so everytime there is a flaw in hl/cs they will make a small 200kb -1 mb updated at realese it on steam....

No im not a Steam lover, STEAM SUCKS!!!

Best answers
There are already hacks for steam, the hackers prepared themselves.
If you go to their sites you can almost 'always' see a STEAM hack.

Another thing, if STEAM is suppose to be a super anti-cheat program.
I have two words for the money grubbing makers.
"Piss off"

CS is a doomed game and hackers shall ALWAYS hack the game.
They do it for money, while the hackers do it for fun and fame.

Best answers
you realize that people who paid for retail DoD and retail CS can now play Half-Life SP? I for one, can now play Op4 even though i never paid for it!
how does that make valve earn more money?!
besides, they WILL release retail versions of Half-Life2, so Sierra will still get money.

I'm thinking Steam was part of the HL2 project all along .. o_o

so even if you don't like steam .. you will still need it (even if vavle won't force the switch to steam) if you want to play HL2 :tired:

Valve IS aware of the problems with steam. it's not like they are going to ignore everything and force everyone to steam no matter what so that they can get all teh dam $$$$$$$$ money.

I don't know what will happen, but I doubt Valve will take any next step until steam is stable and working fine for all.

I think for 56Kers steam won't be a tool to purchase games online. it will be only for updates and authenication.

Steam is NOT perfect, I am not a pro-steam, but i'm not an anti-steam either.
but at least I can alt-tab now without sound loss or a wierd cursor flickering in the middle of the screen.

P.S. I got ESF to work on steam

Best answers
P.S. I got ESF to work on steam
how ? i copied my folder in the steam folder where cs is but when i opend steam and klicked on games there was no esf :(

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Im for Steam, but only for NEW games, leave HL the way it is, it was born this way it should die this way, HL2 can go steam all it wants, but leave HL out of it, it didnt hurt you.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
bah, i like steam, tis a bit sluggish, but its a new system, but like any new system, it takes time to adjust itself and have everyone adjust to it, once its been ironed out, we shall have us a much more reliable and interesting system to use than w0n, but like anything, we have just gotta wait,

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom