XBOX 360 Launch phail.......

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Brim said:
I love how everyone just has to jump on this bandwagon and curse the **** out of microsoft because 5% of XBOX 360s have a problem with them...guess what, so will PS3 and Revo and any other type of electronic product that is mass produced

Chill the **** out people
I would like to point out that you have absolutely no basis for this assumption, for the simple fact that said consoles have yet to be released.

Fact is: consoles shouldn't fry/jam/crash/malfunction THIS badly. It's happened with PS2s, and people *****ed about it then. And so, people do it now too. Our complaints are valid.

Funny though. I have yet to experience or hear of any Nintendo console (Gameboy/DS/N64/Gamecube/NES/SNES) malfunctioning even half this bad.

Best answers
My basis for that assumption is that nothing is perfect, if you want to believe that there was never any problem with any console, then have fun with your ignorance.

I'm simply stating that all machinery has problems when it is first produced, it happens, deal with it. It's called human error. The only way for anyone to figure out if a product has a problem like this is to release it and find out from the consumers. I recognize this thread's point of bringing to attention those who own 360s this problem, to let them know that theirs might have a malfunction, but all the bashing that came from it was unnecessary.

"Leave it to Microsoft to put out a ****ty product and not care about it"

Leave it to the people here to ***** about anything they can

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
"Leave it to Microsoft to put out a ****ty product and not care about it"

Leave it to the people here to ***** about anything they can
Quoted for truth. *****ing or badmouthing solves little.

Funny though. I have yet to experience or hear of any Nintendo console (Gameboy/DS/N64/Gamecube/NES/SNES) malfunctioning even half this bad.
Sounds like someone is too young to remember blowing into their NES for days on end.

I love it when people badmouth Microsoft, personaly. It's not entirely unlike when people badmouth John Carmack.

Makes perfect sense, doesn't it? Let's badmouth the people who streamlined all the best things about modern computing, who pioneered the backbone technologies that drive modern computing today...who invented the very ideas behind the CDs you burn, the Internet pages you read, the games you install, the programs you install (or, in the case of this board, steal)...then claim their "all about the money"...as if they need it. Sometimes I wish I could donate my education to everyone I talk to, so that they could have my understanding of big business and stop making ludicrous generalizations based on what all the uneducated 15 year olds at Gamestop are saying. Microsoft is the richest company in human history, pretty much; they are not the type of company to put out a broken piece of hardware for a quick buck because that would be completely of no benefit to them whatsoever. Think, people. They already have more money then some countries do. Why would they need to make this machine intentionally crappy for a quick burst of purchases? That would get them not 1/10th the profits making a QUALITY machine would...not to mention they'd lose mass amounts of third party development support if such a thing happened...and beyond all that, they'd probably be stuck with a huge class action lawsuit. It is a stupid business decision, and that is something that Microsoft and Bill Gates DO. NOT. DO. PERIOD.

Jesus. Use your heads, once in a while, people.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't really pay attention to the company itself, just if I like the console/it's games or not. I do not like X Box, my brother has it and I play it now and then, but I dislike it more in a territorial way since I'm more of a nintendo-sega-playstation person, no fanboy patriotism bull****.

But I pitty those with the broken 360s, they seem hard to get and a hell lot of money. It's a powerful machine, making it more complex to create, so I would assume the risk are higher than the consoles of the 90s. Give them some time and hopefully it will work, I deffiantly do not want to see this happen to the revolution/PS3.

As for "money hungry companies", I would aim that at the oil industry, not microsoft. People are going to complain, so what? Just because companies like that are letting me use this computer doesn't make them godly, doesn't mean I can't disagree on the things they do/create. If I were to do the opposite, that'd be kissing ass.

Best answers
Smith| said:
i'm not saying its not happening i'm just saying if its as wide spread as everyone acts like it is i think i'd find at least one person who it happened too.

Why would they need to make this machine intentionally crappy for a quick burst of purchases?
not to mention they lose about 150$ per console sold, they need the systems to work so people will buy games and other add ons or else they;ll lose money on the x box 360.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
4 people in my town managed to get a 360.(that i know of)

3 of them were my friends, and all 3 of them claim they run into constant freezing/crashing within 1-3 hours of play.

cant say for the 4th person, hes a friend of a friend and i havent really bothered with asking him about it.

this doesnt really bother me so much though, my sole reason for getting a 360 at launch was for oblivion (since it was originally slated for a launch release). now that its been pushed back, ill just buy my 360 then, by which time maybe MS will have resolved the multitude of problems surrounding the first batch of 360s.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SaiyanPrideXIX said:
Sounds like someone is too young to remember blowing into their NES for days on end.
That's dust pile-up. That's not a hardware defect. :p

I've never had my SNES or other Nintendo console burn out on me like some of these 360s do. My point stands.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The SNES is a very different animal, that was one of the model consoles of all time. Considering that countless other systems (even of that generation) operated on the same exact cartridge methods used by the NES, before writing off the NES technical problems as isolated.

Actually, a little known story regarding the original Nintendo is that damned flashing purple screen problem. That was actually done on the machine intentionally--or at least, it was alleged, after it was determined that Nintendo knew of the defect and made no efforts to correct it. That is why they were forced to redesign the NES--I couldn't find any decent pictures but this is it: http://www.emulatronia.com/maquinadeltiempo/fotos/nes/nueva-nes.jpg

I forget what happened exactly because it was so long ago, but it involved the President of Nintendo of Japan resigning afterward, if I remember. Didn't matter, because his son picked it up anyhow, but it still happened.

Blowing in the Nintendo was many people's hopeful solution to the flickering purple screen. The flashing purple screen had nothing to do with dust. Anyone who actually was alive to play NES, I'm sure, will attest to the fact that even the best kept NES machines had the blinking purple screen problem.

I wouldn't expect you to know any of this, considering you were probably 6 or 7 years old at the time. But at any rate, this sort of thing is not at all unprecedented. If anything I would consider it no big deal; I'm sure that they will replace any malfunctioning units, no questions asked, so by and large as lousy as it is to end up with a busted 360, within a few more weeks I'm sure they will iron out the kinks.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
So I blew into my NES cartridges all the time for absolutely no reason? Goddamn...it just seemed to work so well =/.

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Game Genie was the cure-all to the flashing grey (mine was NEVER purple?) screen. After I had my game genie, I never loaded up the system without it, and the flashing screen never came back.

As for the 360. Microsoft wanted to be first in the next-gen console race, if up to a year ahead if possible. On top of a global launch, there are bound to be issues. The PSP had issues did it not? Microsoft isn't denying the allegations and is acknowledging that there are some isolated issues. I even heard that they'll pay to have your unit shipped out over-night for repairs.

Best answers
SaiyanPrideXIX said:
I wouldn't expect you to know any of this, considering you were probably 6 or 7 years old at the time.
I was 3 or 4, and I remember it o_O I don't recall a PURPLE screen, or even a flashing screen, but I do remember the screen problems.

I was amazed when I heard that the Xbox360 was coming out this year, and now it seems obvious how they pulled it off.... It doesn't make much sense, really. I think even after fixing the bugs, they STILL shouldn't have released it... they shoulda spent more time working on the games.

And to be honest, I'm not that sold on the graphics, either. Greater than anything else we've seen, yes. But not so great as to what it's hyped up to be.

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Actually, when I was at the mall, they had a 360 as a demo. I was playing the CoD2 demo, and I was quite amazed at the graphics. But I am not getting a 360. Hopefully my brother isn't either, because he'll get pissed if his ends 360 ends up as a fail.

Game Genie? Ah... the memories.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Erm. Yeah. I still don't understand how the consoles in the stores work just fine, and run all day long, and "everyone elses" breaks down the day they get it. It just doesn't make any sense.

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Fire Phoenix said:
Erm. Yeah. I still don't understand how the consoles in the stores work just fine, and run all day long, and "everyone elses" breaks down the day they get it. It just doesn't make any sense.
I've heard / seen stories of crashing and freezing in-store. If you watch the video at http://www.smashmyxbox.com/download.php. You will hear the employee talking about crashes etc.

Best answers
Wolf Devil said:
I was amazed when I heard that the Xbox360 was coming out this year, and now it seems obvious how they pulled it off.... It doesn't make much sense, really. I think even after fixing the bugs, they STILL shouldn't have released it... they shoulda spent more time working on the games.

And to be honest, I'm not that sold on the graphics, either. Greater than anything else we've seen, yes. But not so great as to what it's hyped up to be.
QFT!

I was playing a 360 in Best Buy today, and the damned thing kept crashing on me. The employe's told me each demo unit they had (6-7 units) kept crashing or freezing.

As for the graphics, meh. If it had AA and AF, it would look soooooo much better. bug jaggied edges = bad

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It doesn't surprise me that they crash. Like I said, they probably jacked the specs at the last minute. ALWAYS a bad idea.

(@gamegenie memories...mine broke and got stuck in my machine, I still always had the problems though...they rereleased that too, didn't they?)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
@The NES Problem

The Game Genie was an easy fix and you could also get a new cartridge bay installed for cheap (a few local places around here will still do it)

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, Xbox 360 did rush on the release. I think they wanted more money then sony would get. But they rushed, witch causes a fail. But if 360 was never released, Sony would work on the Playstation 3 more. I think the Sony is either going to get their workers to work on the Playstation 3 more and faster. Or they're also going to release it early.

@Pride
That's your problem, I never had troubles with Game Genie.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SaiyanPrideXIX said:
The SNES is a very different animal, that was one of the model consoles of all time. Considering that countless other systems (even of that generation) operated on the same exact cartridge methods used by the NES, before writing off the NES technical problems as isolated.

Actually, a little known story regarding the original Nintendo is that damned flashing purple screen problem. That was actually done on the machine intentionally--or at least, it was alleged, after it was determined that Nintendo knew of the defect and made no efforts to correct it. That is why they were forced to redesign the NES--I couldn't find any decent pictures but this is it: http://www.emulatronia.com/maquinadeltiempo/fotos/nes/nueva-nes.jpg

I forget what happened exactly because it was so long ago, but it involved the President of Nintendo of Japan resigning afterward, if I remember. Didn't matter, because his son picked it up anyhow, but it still happened.

Blowing in the Nintendo was many people's hopeful solution to the flickering purple screen. The flashing purple screen had nothing to do with dust. Anyone who actually was alive to play NES, I'm sure, will attest to the fact that even the best kept NES machines had the blinking purple screen problem.

I wouldn't expect you to know any of this, considering you were probably 6 or 7 years old at the time. But at any rate, this sort of thing is not at all unprecedented. If anything I would consider it no big deal; I'm sure that they will replace any malfunctioning units, no questions asked, so by and large as lousy as it is to end up with a busted 360, within a few more weeks I'm sure they will iron out the kinks.
I remember this, infact, mine had that problem in spades. I used the Action Replay to get past the problem in the console near the end of it's life span. It is the only console I have ever bought that does not work. That includes my Atari 2600 and my Ti-994a. The SNES was indeed a much better design, and my SNES saw much action.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Agreed, Cuc. The SNES was the end-all be-all example of the perfectly balanced console.

My NES was pretty much a junkbox. Even my atari never did any junk like that. But again, like someone before me said--the new machines are so complex there are bound to be problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom