X-Com Remake Announced

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
BioShock 2 developer 2K Marin is to revive the classic turn-based tactical PC series X-COM as a first-person shooter, publisher 2K Games announced today.

"True to the roots of the franchise," according to 2K, the PC and Xbox 360 shooter named simply 'XCOM' will put players "in charge of overcoming high-stake odds through risky strategic gambits coupled with heart-stopping combat experiences that pit human ingenuity--and frailty--against a foe beyond comprehension" as an FBI agent.

"With BioShock 2, the team at 2K Marin proved themselves as masters of first-person, suspenseful storytelling, and with XCOM they will re-imagine and expand the rich lore of this revered franchise," said 2K president Christoph Hartmann in a press statement. "Players will explore the world of XCOM from an immersive new perspective and experience firsthand the fear and tension of this gripping narrative ride."

The X-COM series was begun in 1994 by Mythos with UFO: Enemy Unknown, blending base management, research and production with turn-based combat. The series was re-released on Steam and other outlets after 2K owner Take-Two picked up the rights.

Rumours had swirled since 2007 that BioShock creator Irrational Games would revive the franchise--which studio head Ken Levine has described as "sort of like my first love"--and resumes indicated that former Irrational studio 2K Australia was involved.

There's no word yet on when XCOM is scheduled to be released.
Source: http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/63294

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
So they are making a first-person shooter out of it? That kind of sucks...

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Here's a trailer that shows gameplay:

[video=youtube;eNlC19Vcvrw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNlC19Vcvrw[/video]

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
OK i read the title and was all hyped.

I saw the trailer and read the article and i want to kill someone :(

ANBU
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Those "things" looked like the beasts from Prince of Persia 2008 or like Spiderman's symbiote.
The only thing that i liked from the trailer was the black hole thing. :)

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well im not against the idea of having a FPS version of X-COM but come on 1950s gangster style agents WTF >.<

Best answers
I have no doubt that it will be a good game, but it pains me that the game seems to only be using the x-com name to get some extra publicity. Nothing in the trailer made me think x-com, but like I said I'll probably play it which means they'll make a sequel and they'll call it Terror from the deep but set it in space and I'll be sad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom