Why is this so bad?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
10 bucks your a whore of the head on variety. and your tired of being looked down upon for your pitifull tactic. and the better players fly "dumbass circles" around you and make a fool of you.

🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I have to agree with gman and pain on this. I'm sorry but once you get to look at things at a bit of a higher prospective howing becomes really annoying if thats all a person does. I won't insult them or even mention it but I have to admit I get agrivated when I'm lazy and don't want to put in the effort to change into an anti how style. I try to stay out of these because 1.2 will be out soon and then everything will change.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
"Soon" is not the word. The proper term would be "eventually."

Best answers
I don't need to be great to understand the concept. It's really simmilar to someone who is shooting fireballs in street fighter all day. Or doing trips every time you get up. from someone who is pretty darn good at street fighter you have to deal with it. It makes you use a different tactic.

2. no its not skill, its running away and charging up. if they put that much effort into maybe getting behind me and hitting me instead of waiting it would be different. mind you, these are the same people that NEVER pull of side or back hits. no one said it wasnt a viable fighting style, it was said it was looked down upon because it is 'skill-less'. anyone can sit and wait for you to charge at them, some people have improved upon that technique. good for them. its still the same base though.
No, from the very way the post was written I can tell the person was able to manipulate him into a position where they had you where they wanted you:

"he'd teleport back twice and charge as I approached"?
"I expect a block or a dodge"?
"he enourages me to chase him"?

sorry man, he's got you.

Every Good fighter I've fought has been nearly IMMUNE to LSM, while the average joe will fall for it more often than not. The best Duel I had was about 8-10 min (not super long but long for me), and learning from the several fights before that I knew the guy was safe from LSM, so we fought a long battle based on attempting rear and side hits.

I understand that ANYTHING, even teleporting behind someone and attacking from the rear all day is cheap. But I tend to LSM someone who sneak attacks me when I am having a duel with some who is much better than me to get them out of the way, so I can concentrate on a tele-battle with the tough guy. So when I do that 3 times in the middle of a fight against someone else they use the "HOWING!" protection. it's just so lame.

You said it's not fun when people HOW? Well how fun is it when the only way I can fight without being flamed is by meleeing from behind? Unless someone is doing 80% LSM, I don't have a problem with it. I've been HOWed to death, and my thought was "why did try to hit him head on?" It's been the one thing that has taught me to fight better. People complain about it WAAAAAY too much. I'm sooo sick of the complaining. Trans kills, Disks, LSM, 2v1... guH!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i dont think you understand.
i think halorin pretty much summed it up good.
but when all someone does is fall back and repeat the same methods to try and land a head on, it's just annoying, however easy it might be to defeat.
ill try to give u a visual
- = path
_ = spaces
O = guy holding still
<< or >> = guy swooping
:: = teleport swirlys
" = charging
>O = hit

------>> ________ <<------

------::O::---->> ________::<<------

------"O"-------<<-----
------>>_<<----------
------O____________----->O

swoop at each other
one guy stops and teles behind
the other guy turns around and follows
first guy LSM's
hit

this is easy enough to counter or avoid. the guy is simply lining up headons.

O_____<<----
---->>_<<--------
----O_______------>O

this is the most basic form

then of course theres the guy that just runs away the whole time and wont even try to hit you.

there are plenty of other methods and variations to this. sure there may be strategys, but the base technique is the same and if a good player actualy tries. it will just frustrate him, having to wait for the other guy to expose himself close enough so that you can get a hit off without fear of being LSM'd. thats why its annoying.

now when you see people doing this

--------------------------------
-----::--------------------------
--------------------::-----------
--::----------::------------------
---->>------------------::------
--------::-----------------------
--::--------<<-------------------
-----------------::--------------
-------::-----------------::------
---------------::----------------
------::-------------------------

flying all over the map trying to hit each other, circling around. there is no set method to get a hit with this method. this also makes it that much harder to counter. unpredictable. LSM is predictable and most of the time is easy to beat. try watching leets fight each other. they will be all over everywhere trying to land hits. that style of fighting requires much more skill as opposed to having one method of pulling off hits. a skilled player has to think on his toes.

🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I have to say I also get annoyed at people just flying in the same circles trying to hit someone. Be that they may be very good at it, I just find the game gets boring when it turns into that. I'm not saying anyone here does that but sometimes I wish people were more agressive. When I get angry I play aggressively and when I'm not I tend to throw myself across the map for the hell of it. I know that halorin is very agressive and I wish that I could play like that all the time. If your gunna how then do it once as a desperate attempt to buy some time to gather your head. Don't make it every hit or every other hit as it just kind of puts yourself down for not trying to overcome such an easy gameplay style.

Best answers
fine then, u want to insult me, then **** off! i think ill play the game how i want when i want and there is NOTHING you can do to change it ***s...gawd go geta ****ing life or something

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
another 10 bucks says u get a warning for flaming
*waits for mod*

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Darksun, I understand where you're coming from. I just don't think you know exactly how annoying it can be. If you would like to see, vs. me in a 1v1 and all i'll do is head on with you. You know what that means? I'll win. (No matter how good you are, you wont win against someone who knows how to head on at the right times)

When 1.1 first came out, I will admit, I was quite the "HOWer." I wouldn't try to make it noticable, I would just turn everything into a head on. Even if you were trying to avoid it. Once it started to bother people, it started to bother me. Now I know exactly how cheap it is. It's there, the ESF team made it so that the person with more KI will win against any head on. That's because they didn't want ping to be such a problem, like it was in 1.0.

I wont get pissed at someone for being a "HOWer," but I will let them know that it's bothering me. It's not that big of a deal, but it's more like a fly that wont stop bugging you, you keep trying to swat it away, but it never gives up bugging you.

Melee struggles will be here soon, but until then, we all have to face the facts, and accept that there will always be that one person that gets on your nervse in whatever way possible. :rolleyes:

-----------

@TheProdigalNova: calm down man, it's not worth blurting stupid insults like that. If something you found offensive happened, report it to a mod. Don't try taking things into your own hands. Let me remind you, this is not your house, you're just a guest.

Best answers
For some reason, people seem to think I'm the biggest one out there crying HOW, when it certainly isn't the case. Whenever I point it out is when it's done for like, 20 minutes straight and it's clearly the only tactic you're doing. It's just as cheap as say, spawn camping, kill stealing, or like being a BFG whore in old school quake days. Sure, it's there and it's in the game, but does that justify things when it's -all- you do? Say if someone was SSJ Goku when you go in a server, and they know what they're doing. They just sit there and pop you with a minimally charged kamehameha every time you blink and you can't get near them because they can either beam jump or teleport back and pop you without them in harms way. Wouldn't that be a little cheap? The only way to really get around that is to wait for them to slip up with the tactic or they stop. The same goes with someone who knows how to HOW. When noobs do it, it's easily counterable, but when people know advanced swoop techniques and know how to HOW within those techniques, it can become a near impossibility to surmount. Out of respect for the other player I don't think it should be done, if anything. To whoever said that maybe HOW'ing was right, I think they haven't thought it out. It would just come down to whoever wanted to sit back and charge ki more, a stalemate ultimately. How retarded would that be? That's why skilled players use side hits. Even in 1.0, I specialized in side hits because it was the only way where I could get around getting pinged to death and I wouldn't feel bad pinging someone else to death. When things like that are negated, it all comes down to skill. I'd rather win knowing that I was more skillful than my opponent rather than knowing I used, technically, an exploit in the melee system. That's how I feel about it, and I think that's how a lot of other players feel about it.

Fumoffu!
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
TheProdigalNova said:
fine then, u want to insult me, then **** off! i think ill play the game how i want when i want and there is NOTHING you can do to change it ***s...gawd go geta ****ing life or something
Have a warning :warning: for flaming on the forums. If you've got issues, you can talk them out easily... chill out, it's just a game.

Pain said:
another 10 bucks says u get a warning for flaming
*waits for mod*
Please don't spam like that Pain, your post contributes nothing to the topic.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Summation:

HOWing is possible to defeat at any level.
BUT: It is also very annoying.
THUS: It's not worth bothering to defeat unless you have a vendetta.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
*thinks for a minute*
ow

yea thats a very good summation GMan.

Best answers
Ok, I guess I have to agree with y'all that HOWing (using LSM 75-100%) is annoying. I also think if good people can manipulate you into a complex LSM, that's skill.

But from my experience, people complain about it WAAY too much. But I also think the "swooping around & teleporting" is just as annoying. It's just more time consuming way of gaining the upper hand. ;D At least LSM gets to the point. ;D

I was playing last night and I felt so bad about using LSM even ONCE that it ruined the whole night. "are they gonna flame me?" "are they gonna leave?" I spend the whole night flying in circles & teleporting, trying to hit people from thr rear... it was so boring.

I guess it's just a matter of the ESF team balancing it out. I hope they make the Melee struggles based on something OTHER than ki or pl. cuz then it will be the same thing over again, just slower. Or all the powerful people will win hands down.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Darksun said:
But from my experience, people complain about it WAAY too much. But I also think the "swooping around & teleporting" is just as annoying. It's just more time consuming way of gaining the upper hand. ;D At least LSM gets to the point. ;D

I was playing last night and I felt so bad about using LSM even ONCE that it ruined the whole night. "are they gonna flame me?" "are they gonna leave?" I spend the whole night flying in circles & teleporting, trying to hit people from thr rear... it was so boring.
Well thats also opinion, to me, LSM is boring as **** and teleporting in circles and **** is the only fun way to melee..

Best answers
I say you ppl should give it a rest lol ... who cares about HOWing ... 1.2 melee will stop this ...

We all hate HOWing but I think we should give this topic a rest ... I mean as you can see it starting to turn into a flamewar ... o_o

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
you dont HOW when ur not heading on on perpese HOW's are ok but if u use them all the time and never try to attack ur oppenent it gets boring ......
(sorry i didnt read all of ur crap)

Best answers
GMan said:
Well thats also opinion, to me, LSM is boring as **** and teleporting in circles and **** is the only fun way to melee..
Then I guess your idea of HOWing is based on opinion.:D

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I really don't know how "HOWing" can be fun. It's pretty much a staring contest. You might as well shoot beams at eachother, because two "HOWers" fighting is pretty much just joining a game and staring at the models until one of them moves at you.

Learning to swoop around you enemy and being able to hit them un-guarded is skill. Like in real life, someone is going to rush at you, are you going to do the same just a bit after he does? It doesn't work that way. If you can dodge/move around an opponent and catch him off guard, then that's skill. "HOWing" requires 0 skill. All you need to do is be patient and breathe.

-----

Fight are more exciting when 2 people are outstanding with melee. It gets really intense, sometime people will never hit until 20min of swoops and dodges.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Darksun said:
Then I guess your idea of HOWing is based on opinion.:D

What if I don't recharge except to keep enough KI for one or two teleports?

:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom