What is a good gaming computer?

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
frsrblch said:
Newegg's prices are in USD, whereas my prices are in CDN (0.85 USD). The place I plan on buying from is also located in Edmonton, so theres no shipping.
In that case see what memory brands and kits he is able to get in. Is he a supplier? suppliers are cheaper then stores.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Its Memory Express. Ive had it recommended to me by a couple of my friends already for having low prices. They have a store in the south end, so I can go over sometime to check out what they have.

What are some good PSU brands? Id like to get something worth plugging my 7800 into.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
frsrblch said:
Its Memory Express. Ive had it recommended to me by a couple of my friends already for having low prices. They have a store in the south end, so I can go over sometime to check out what they have.

What are some good PSU brands? Id like to get something worth plugging my 7800 into.
Antec, Seasonic & Tagan to name a few. The antec 550w psu i posted a link to in a previous post in this thread could be up your alley.

Best answers
Voodoo and Falcon make great gaming computers, but they are extremely expensive, so i wouldnt get it if you have a low budget. Personally I think Alienware is over rated, but dont get me wrong, they are still good computers. Also, Dell makes decent gaming computers, especially their XPS series, and those arent terribly expensive.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Walmart Security said:
Voodoo and Falcon make great gaming computers, but they are extremely expensive, so i wouldnt get it if you have a low budget. Personally I think Alienware is over rated, but dont get me wrong, they are still good computers. Also, Dell makes decent gaming computers, especially their XPS series, and those arent terribly expensive.
Dell sux, it's oem and they don't get it right. We don't get the XPS series over here in aus, but still oem's aren't so good for gaming pcs. That's why you builod one yourself or get one built from a local store. I haven't seen dell using AMD chips yet (witch was rumoured to happen or so I heard but looks like it wasn't happening), also another bad point, as amd chips are outperforming intel chips in a majority of all pc games. Voodoo & Falcon I have both heard good things about from people whov'e benched them using 3dmark & pcmark.

The thing is, it will always save some money to build it yourself, and it's well worth it if you know what your'e doing.

Best answers
well yeah, the title of the thread is "Whats a good gaming computer" and I answered with gaming computer brands, I didnt want to help him with getting it custom built because it looks like you and Smith and Kurt and anyone else has it covered. Im not telling him to go against Custom built, im just telling him some good companies.

Dell does okay with gaming computers, they do get it right. So does Alienware, but they are over rated. Speaking of which, where the Hell did you hear that OEM doesnt do good with gaming? Look at Falcon and Voodoo and all of those other companies.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The line designed for gaming does well, but not for the price... which is the same for any OEM line of computers. Voodoo and Falcon are majorly overpriced for their performance.

Best answers
yeah, you are definately right there. They would still be overpriced 10 years in the future. $6,000 is way too much for my blood.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Twelve years ago a decent computer was $3500 (I have the ad from my mac), nowadays you can buy a decent Dell for $1500. I think computers are getting cheaper, not more expensive... unless you were referring to inflation.

Im never buying a premade computer again. They just charge you money for the part I would enjoy most, building it.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
frsrblch said:
Twelve years ago a decent computer was $3500 (I have the ad from my mac), nowadays you can buy a decent Dell for $1500. I think computers are getting cheaper, not more expensive... unless you were referring to inflation.

Im never buying a premade computer again. They just charge you money for the part I would enjoy most, building it.
That's why I don't bother with oem stuff (unless it's one of dell's nice new flat panel monitors or a server, but other then that I really wouldn't bother with them). OEM machines are more in the targeted at the buisnes market, as you will see companies deployying a lot of OEM machines since they can just make a image of a windows setup, put it on all the other computers of the same model as the one setup & change the last one or two ips of the computer's ip address.

Stores will always charge more so they can keep there rent up etc, so it's best to go to a supplier as parts can be found cheaper then a local pc store (keep in mind, prices will be dependent of their rrp or lease, and sometimes they'll sell things at higher prices, such an example being is that I once looked in a store, they were charging $180 for a mx440 when I could go to a pc fair & get a ti4200 for around $90, half the price and a better gfx card, some stores just don't bother to keep up with somes pric ranges).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom