Watchmen

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm going to go see it tonight, provided there are still tickets left. Read the graphic novel some time ago, loved it, but really really loved the ending because of how absurd it is. I'm not one of those "ALAN MOORE SAID **** YOU!" guys, so I don't mind that they changed it. I'm just hoping that it flows well with the narrative. I'll post again later on with my incredibly short but concise review.

Commence Watchmen conversation......now.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I read online that if you read the comic, you're really, really going to hate the movie. But for everyone else, it'd be orgasmic. I only read the first chapter so I guess I'll enjoy it. :>

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
So far, it seems like only the diehard fans who don't understand that this is a movie, and not a cut and paste of the comic are disappointed. Everyone who goes in understanding that Snyder took some liberties with the source material seems to enjoy it. Hyb sent me a link to Ebert's review, and he mentions that he read the graphic novel before he saw the film a second time (because its that good), and it made the movie even better because he understood what was going on, rather than being slightly confused as he had been with his first viewing (although he said he loved the movie then, too).

I remember trying to get you to read it a long time ago, and you weren't digging it. Hopefully you'll read it after you see it, because it really is a work of art.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It was awesome.

Now I have never read the graphic novel, but I will now that my brother has it. So even if you have never read about it, the movie does a pretty good job at keeping you up to speed.

As a movie, and not as an adaption, I really enjoyed myself. The story makes sense, and while those with short attention spans may get lost with the flashbacks that pop up about 2/3 of the movie, it's all necessary.

Every single character is extremely interesting. Even Dr. Manhattan, who I thought would be two dimensional (again, have not read the graphic novel). I was hoping that there would be enough fight scenes, and there were. The fighting was not generic and showed just how good the Watchmen are at what they do.

See it. All of you! I love Rorschach and Night Owl.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's like I always say: If you want a movie to be exactly like the book/comic, why aren't you just reading said book/comic?

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It was good. Not great. I'll elaborate later today.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDDHHrt6l4w[/ame]

Oh no

Now with Kung-Fu action!
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I hate all of you, I'm not 18 for another year.

If it's as good as it sounds, I'll wait for the DVD release.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
My major gripe with the film is that it feels like they rushed right through the philosophical parts of the comic, which happened to be the best parts in my opinion. They're in the film kinda, but it feels condensed. The entire movie feels condensed, really. I don't know. I think it could have been a whole lot better in terms of the actual narrative. Everything else was spot on, minus the ridiculously long sex scene and some of the song choices. It just seems like all of my favorite parts were rushed. I mean, if you can have a 30 minute sex scene, you can probably make the philosophical parts a little more appealing. You can have Ozymandius asking Doc Manhattan if he did the right thing. You can show the price of freedom by way of NYC littered with corpses, as was shown in the comics.

Whatever. Go see it. It isn't bad.

I give it a 2 lines out of Z.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
My major gripe with the film is that it feels like they rushed right through the philosophical parts of the comic, which happened to be the best parts in my opinion. They're in the film kinda, but it feels condensed. The entire movie feels condensed, really. I don't know. I think it could have been a whole lot better in terms of the actual narrative. Everything else was spot on, minus the ridiculously long sex scene and some of the song choices. It just seems like all of my favorite parts were rushed. I mean, if you can have a 30 minute sex scene, you can probably make the philosophical parts a little more appealing. You can have Ozymandius asking Doc Manhattan if he did the right thing. You can show the price of freedom by way of NYC littered with corpses, as was shown in the comics.
I agree with everything except for the sex scene thing, because those were some nice boobies and Malin Ackerman is hot as hell. But yea they did rush through a lot of parts I thought, some of which were my favorite parts as well. I did think that what Zack did with the story was pretty good and at least didn't rape the story too bad. I didn't really like how he put Doc Manhattan in the hot seat, but I can see why he did. I can't wait for the extended version, and I would have liked to see the Black Freighter in the mix too, so I really can't wait for the dvd.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Regarding the long sex scene....

I saw it with my family.

...D:

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hmm... Does she turn Doc Manhattan down when he does the whole multiply myself thing in the movie? Because if not I'm hoping that's the 30 minute sex scene.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hmm... Does she turn Doc Manhattan down when he does the whole multiply myself thing in the movie? Because if not I'm hoping that's the 30 minute sex scene.
Nah, she turns him down.

@Chakra: How'd the Blue Dong of Might work out for you guys?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
@Chakra: How'd the Blue Dong of Might work out for you guys?
At the first scene where they actually show it, it took me a couple of seconds to say "oh hey...There's his penis" because I was so used to the cloth. But it wasn't nearly as uncomfortable as the sex scene. Full frontal male nudity takes a backseat to softcore movie sex for some reason.

The penis is just not what it used to be :/

Some people (who have also never heard of Watchmen until now), were off putted by having him naked all the time. I think it made him seem more "pure", a more a raw manifestation of his power. Though you can't help but see that thing flopping around when he's strolling down a hallway.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It sucked for me because there were a bunch of 14 year olds laughing and **** in the back. The girl I was with nearly climbed over the seats and elbow dropped them.

Best answers
I decided to see this movie, even though I had no idea what "Watchmen" was, but saw it anyway. I didn't like it... :\ Well, to be honest I don't really like super hero movies (I only like the Batman's now :\). I mean, the movie just felt dragged out and hard to follow. And for crying out loud, the blue guy's **** was hanging out the entire time! I just don't get why they felt the need to have him not wearing any pants half the time. I don't know. That's just ****ing nasty in my opinion.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
1) It isn't a superhero movie.
2) He doesn't like to wear clothes. Read the comics or the graphic novel.

Best answers
It isn't..? Huh...my mistake I guess. :\ Looks like a superhero movie...

And come on! It's a movie! I'm sure they changed a lot of other stuff from the comic book, why not change the fact that he doesn't like to wear clothes?

[S]

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Why stop there? Why not make him green and a martian? They tried to stay as true to the novel as they could. Had they not they'd have a bunch of die hard watchmen fans complaining "we want docs dong"

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I really have nothing to add to this thread as I haven't seen the movie yet (though I intend to, it looks good), just wanted to say hi to MCC. Been a long time since you've posted here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom