Wanting a laptop for College, suggestions?

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm going to be attending classes soon, and I'm going to want to have a laptop for when I do. I'm aiming for something that's under $500, or even $300 if possible. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm thinking of trying to find a cheap Macbook, but I'm open for other suggestions. I will be attending a community college for 2 years and then will be transfering to a University, so I'm looking for something that will last a while.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You could get a netbook.

Or a job.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
...why would you ever think of getting a macbook? Used or not, that prompts me to ask you: What is wrong with you?

Your best bet is a netbook; they're insanely useful as they can actually be used for doing work on if you choose one with a decent keyboard. I recommend the Lenovo netbooks, as they tend to have good keyboards, and they presumably cost less than 500 bucks in the US.

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/...=B9E88FCFB9985FCD1F3BADF3B89337A4&action=init

Apparently you can save a lot of money if you buy one now, but I'm guessing you're not going to.

ANBU
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Avenger's suggestion with those Lenovo netbooks seems nice. Good power for that price especially for a netbook.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
...why would you ever think of getting a macbook? Used or not, that prompts me to ask you: What is wrong with you?
What's wrong with you? Macbooks are great for students! Yes, they are overpriced and last generation, but the OS makes things so much easier as a student. Not to mention that they are very slick!

Discord Member
Best answers
What's wrong with you? Macbooks are great for students! Yes, they are overpriced and last generation, but the OS makes things so much easier as a student. Not to mention that they are very slick!
you did not just say that .... "easier" only means more restrictions, you can do less with it .... actually u can do NOTHING with it, might as well throw it in the trash.

and you're definitely not going to get a decent macbook under 300-500 dollars

i would suggest somethin like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883103297 i think it's pretty badass

anything that uses nvidia ion chipset is pretty amazing i think. great low price n great grahics

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I dont think he wants to bring a monitor to class. And if he does, he should just stay home.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If you are looking for something that will last a while and be your main computer, I would stray a way from netbooks. Not to say it's going to malfunction quickly, but I would not be surprised it start feeling like it's crawling if it can not keep up with software demands.

I honestly would say get a macbook air or 13in Macbook Pro. Yes they are expensive compared to PCs, yes you can find PCs with higher raw specs than Macs for dramatically cheaper, and yes you are paying the "Apple Tax" for form, materials, and OS that you may or may not care about. But my Early 2008 15in Macbook Pro is still going strong, have only had a handful for full on system crashes/kernel panics in it's lifetime, and if **** broke, I would just take it to the Apple Store instead of fiddling with tech forums (for heavy stuff). And the only things you will be seriously hindered with is gaming and over clocking.

Otherwise a full Windows 7 laptop as opposed to a netbook would be my choice.

Red Saiyan Mod
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🌟 Senior Member
Best answers
I would just suggest a netbook. They are inexpensive, and becoming quite fast now a days.
You can get a duel core CPU with a solid state drive and 2 gigs of memory for less then $300.
I have an HP Mini that I absolutely love. Works great for internet browsing and even plays a few games.
In the end it all comes down to what you need to use it for. Educational software doesnt use alot of power.
You're not going to find a powerful laptop for under $500 unless you go on ebay and buy it used.

The very best there is.
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
And if you're going to get a netbook, check the CPU. Intel Atom is definitely not what you want. They suck. Since I own several Lenovo ThinkPads and still haven't managed to destroy them, they ought to be good. Of course, the quality of the cheaper models is said to be inferior, but I've found my ThinkPad Edge 11 to be quite alright.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
And if you're going to get a netbook, check the CPU. Intel Atom is definitely not what you want. They suck.
Provide arguments?

The very best there is.
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Your typical Atom CPU is even slower than an average Athlon 64. Yes, that's right, the CPU from 8 years ago.
More recommendable CPUs are: AMD E series, Intel i3 series.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's also what, a third of the size? You must be high if you're comparing netbook CPUs to standard laptop CPUs.

The very best there is.
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Read again and understand. It helps. Scientifically proven!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I suppose you don't know how electricity works.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
STOP FIGHTING, DADDIES!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom