Wally limits

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hello all, well alot of you mappers use wally for mapping and a certain technique where you make a 2048X2048 pic and divide it into 16 pieces.

This also creates alot of limits in mapping and wastes alot of time, I know that you can move a brush and add another to fill that.

Isn't it possible to change wally's code or something so that the max size limit can be increased from 512X512 to atleast 1024X1024 or 2048X2048, that will make mapping so much easier for some people, so if it's possible can some just tell me HOW to do it or if someone is willing to do it themselves.

But maybe we can't do this without the original creator's permission, so that might also be a problem, but if anyone can, please do so, that would make me and alot of other mappers very happy!

Best answers
its not wally that restricts 512x512, its the half-life engine. try using a 1024 texture (which is possible with wally) and you'll see half-life crash when you load the map

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The textures you create must be divisible by 16, meaning that if you were to divide either the X or Y resolution by 16 it will come up with a whole number. The largest texture that's allowed is 256x256, larger textures will usually result in either compiling problems, more memory usage for Valve Hammer to run, or both.

donnerisk said:
Isn't it possible to change wally's code or something so that the max size limit can be increased from 512X512 to atleast 1024X1024 or 2048X2048, that will make mapping so much easier for some people, so if it's possible can some just tell me HOW to do it or if someone is willing to do it themselves
The largest texture you can make in Walley is 2048x2048, but trust me, you don't want to go that high, especially if you're making a texture from scratch.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
MC said:
The textures you create must be divisible by 16, meaning that if you were to divide either the X or Y resolution by 16 it will come up with a whole number. The largest texture that's allowed is 256x256, larger textures will usually result in either compiling problems, more memory usage for Valve Hammer to run, or both.

The largest texture you can make in Walley is 2048x2048, but trust me, you don't want to go that high, especially if you're making a texture from scratch.
Actualy thats the mostly ussed size for textures if you are making terrain the way CS described it in his tutoreal ;)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sooo, the technique to make a topdown texture can work if I use one 2048X2048 instead of 16 512's?

Sorry if I got you wrong, I'm very nooby actually, I'm not fimiliar with these stuffs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom