Valve, Vivendi, and Sierra are all in court.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/half-life-2/550165p1.html

It's hard to read through the legalese in there, but the gist of it is this:

Sierra says that it has rights to Half-Life and a bunch of subsequent stuff, including Half-Life 2. Gabe got them to relinquish ownership of "the Half-Life intellectual property" to Valve by threatening a long time back to halt production of further games (which I don't get in the slightest, because they never made any others, really). Apparently, Sierra agreed to his terms but only under the proviso that he assure them that they would still be the retail distributor for Half-Life exclusively. Gabe said that yeah, they would be the retail distributor, and specifically he agreed on behalf of Valve that there wouldn't be any other attempts at independent distribution.

Of course, Gabe and Valve were building Steam already at that time, and for just that purpose--bypassing Sierra's retail **** and buying direct from Valve.

The argument is basically this: Sierra feels it should still own Half-Life (including HL2 and the Source Engine), because Newell lied to them about not trying to undermine their distribution. Not only did he undermine it, and technically breach their 1999 contract that gave Valve the HL property, but he did it himself, in house, in an attempt to secretly send Valve on an exodus and cutting Sierra out of the loop.

There's a big odd loophole in this. You see, if Valvebreached the contract...that is, if the judge agrees with Sierra's claim...that means that Steam and all of the things we buy through it have been sold to us illegally, because Valve never owned the property. Sierra will most likely then sue the hell out of Valve. But the thing is, if the Judge decides that Valve DIDN'T breach the contract--which is hard to say, because the part they say he breached wasn't very specific or strict--then that means that Sierra will no longer be a part of the equation regarding any of Valve's distro.

The reason why it came up, is because HL was distributed online in some web cafes a while back by Sierra, and Valve sued, because Sierra supposedly had given up the rights to Valve a long time ago. But the agreement vaguely included that Valve wouldn't do the same thing--distribute online. Valve was required to assure Sierra that their retail distro would remain Valve's primary outsource. Valve said yeah, and basically indirectly agreed to not distribute independently.

In layman's terms, it was a trade. "Hey, we get to own the HL properties, but you guys get to funnel in all of our income."

The logic behind the Sierra distro is that Valve is doing online distribution, thus negating the agreement, supposedly. At least...I THINK this is the gist. Like I said, it's confusing as all hell.

So they've been fighting and fighting and with HL2 ready and itching to hit the shelves it seems like the timing is just really bad. I don't know how much this will slow things down but in all honesty it's just another testament to some of Valve's amateur business practices. I mean...you don't lie to keep your contract. You don't like it, you fulfill it and bail or get yourself a new deal. Signing ANYTHING in writing and then lying about your end of the deal is always legal trouble waiting to happen.

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I thought Sierra was going out of business. This sounds like a way that the sierra company could get some last minute money. They kept this to the last minute, too. Right when Valve was going to get tons of money from a game. They could have sued long time ago.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
All I know is that I STILL don't have HL2.......and I'm about ten minutes away from getting up, and flying out to Vinvendi international headquarters and making it known to STOP THE ********!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best answers
Arthos said:
All I know is that I STILL don't have HL2.......and I'm about ten minutes away from getting up, and flying out to Vinvendi international headquarters and making it known to STOP THE ********!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Let me just get my coat and i'll help.

if they have time for court then they sould get the finger out of their *** and finish HL2

Bolteh2

B
sierra is now part of vivendi (has been for a couple of years...)

so basicly its valve vs vivendi now

Best answers
Ya know what, **** it, HL2 is never gonna come out.

I just gave up on this game, too much damn drama.

Best answers
They both are a little in the wrong here. Best case scenario; judge rules in favor of Valve, and nudges Sierra one step closer to going the way of the dinosaur(they haven't created or distributed anything decent in years anyway).

What will most likely happen is the judge will give Valve a slap on the wrist and make them draw up a new, clearer contract which imposes hefty fines on any would-be violators.

Worst case; judge rules that any and all Half-Life related sales through steam were illegal and imposes a fine based on units sold. That would either push HL2 out the door like YESTERDAY, or push HL2 back until god-knows-when. I know it sounds good because it puts HL2 in your hands faster, but if they end up owing Sierra a buttload of money, that cost is going to be placed squarely in our laps. Imagine steam as a subscription service.

Yeah, we want Valve to win this one.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Gabe Newell just keeps proving how much of a rambling idiot, he really is.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Gabe Newell is like...when you tell people who don't know much about computers about a "programmer"...he's like, exactly what they imagine.

What exactly does Gabe Newell do over there, anyway, besides screw up stuff?

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't know. If he doesn't do anything but make executive decisions... who hired the dumbass?

Bolteh2

B
... he (co)founded valve.. if it wasnt for gabe, you all wouldnt be playing this dbz game on the hl engine...

why is everybody crying about hl2 never comming out... hl2 isnt even released and it already has a bigger fanbase than doom3... hl2 is a game... please, be my guest to name a few games (talking about games.. not engines or games that you finish in 3 hours (sp) and where the mp is like any other game) that have been release this year, or that are going to be released sometimes..

hl2 actually has an sp.. and the whole modding community is the mp.. at least valve thinks about the modding community

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
they are obvisouly using this as an excuse to delay hl2 even more

Best answers
I think that HL2 is really just a government conspiracy trying to see how fond the gaming community is of big titles. Currently theyre in the process of seeing how much patience we have until a game comes out. Once they see we all gave up on it they will release it and see our reactions. According to their conclusion, they will produce another big-shot video game, except it will be loaded with a mind controlling software. Before the game comes out theyll give it some drama so our brains will be a little weak and more prone to the software while playing the game. Then we will all become the governments slaves, not oppose to anything they say, and live the rest of our life as would-be zombies.

Bolteh2

B
i just think that hl2 is a program created by aliens so they can invade our minds when were playing hl2

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
IsrAlien said:
I think that HL2 is really just a government conspiracy trying to see how fond the gaming community is of big titles. Currently theyre in the process of seeing how much patience we have until a game comes out. Once they see we all gave up on it they will release it and see our reactions. According to their conclusion, they will produce another big-shot video game, except it will be loaded with a mind controlling software. Before the game comes out theyll give it some drama so our brains will be a little weak and more prone to the software while playing the game. Then we will all become the governments slaves, not oppose to anything they say, and live our life as would-be zombies for the rest of our lives.
that was my 2nd theory

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom