Upgrading Computer nEEd help!

z3k3iel187

Z
im upgrading my computer from all aspecs... but im never upgraded b 4 so im new to this...

since im only 14 i can only do so little by only picking out wut i need. rofl iono where everything goes so my uncle will prob beign doin that.

but i kno hardware and vid card etc.

this is wut im plannin to get.

* new motherboard (intel base) - iono wut company i should get from. im lookin for a cheap but fast 8x agp motherboard wit 400 or 533 fsb, pentium 4 around 1.8- 2.0 ghz would be good . i also got a question! does the p4 intel chip com wit the mother board and does installin a new one erases all the data and games on my computer? or is that only the hard drive stores the data? also do i neeed a new motherboard to use a radeon 9600 8x agp since my current motherboard can only support up to 4x agp?

*1 gb of new ram (ddr type) - wut ever the maximum my fsb can support.

*a new case - lol i just want a case to mak my comp look all cool adn gaming like. also to hld enough bay drives to put a fan controling and stuff like that.

*new vid card (ati) - im planning to get a radeon 9600 pro power by ati but thats gonna be a awhile till i get it.

*new sound card (creative labs soundblaster live 5.1) - i hope this really takes off all the cpu load.

and umm i guessin if i can transfer the hard drive onto the new case and the rest of the parts too (except the ones i dont need)

o and im hopin fryye would help me !! :D he sounds like a expert at this. GO fryye sry if i dont spell ur nick right im new to the forums!.

Retired
Best answers
First of all, all your data is being stored on your HD, not your motherboard.

Yes you can run the 9600 pro on a 4x AGP, but you wont use it 100% (+ the 2 ghz you are planning to buy will most likely be a bottleneck, I would probably go for 9500 which is cheaper, or a decent GF4.

1GB or Ram is a lot, 512 would be plenty :) but your call.

Yeah the SB LIve 5.1 is good enough, its a nice card.

Best answers
Firstly the radeon will work on your 4x agp
Secondly I would recommend AMD in sted of Intel (I'm going to get a lot of flammes for that)
Thirdly All your data fill stay intact unless you upgrade your harddrive
BTW nice choice of video card but it's gone cost you alot

(Darn judge you beat me will I was typing)

z3k3iel187

Z
well about the vid card iono 9500 or 9600 wutever works best since in the computer world things move fast. and also AMD i heard isnt as stable as intel... also i need to kno wut kind of MOTHERBOARD!!! as in ASUS ,Gigabyte, and etc.

also plz help me wit the cost (i dont mean help me pay). like tell me somthin u might kno that is cheaper but still as good. im lookin to pay around or below 350. my family is buying a new house so i cant really afford the cost of the new stuff. sadly... :(

Retired
Best answers
AMD is cheaper and more stable than intel imo, if you intend to overclock your CPU take Intel, but I would take AMD if you arent planning on doin so.

z3k3iel187

Z
Judge said:
AMD is cheaper and more stable than intel imo, if you intend to overclock your CPU take Intel, but I would take AMD if you arent planning on doin so.
r u sure about that? i kno amd is the best for gaming and all... if i get amd should i get a amd athlon xp? and also will i still hav windows xp or the OS im currently runnin?

o adn sry ESF for not havin this totally related to ESf. its related to lag issues in ESF so im upgradin ^ ^!!

Best answers
I would recommend a Gigabyte motherboard they work well with ATI cards I'm to lazy to check the prices just search for prices on the web

Best answers
for mobo try epox , asus or soltek. i suggest 8x apg.

i would get a geforce4ti over a radeon. the decent radeons are so much more expensive than the gf4tis and u hardly get a difference out of it. and alot more programs and games support nvidia chips / geforces.

with ram 512 ddr is pleanty.

dont get a sblive 5.1 is rubish if ur connecting a decent sound system to ur comp. its ok if ur connecting up 5$ computer speakers though.

with the cpu try and get a 2.4 ghz and i suggest getting a different cooling system to the one that comes with the chip, the default heatsinks and fans are rubish, even the itel and amd approved ones.

and while ur upgrading u might wanna get a new monitor if ur current monitor isnt too good. the quality of the monitor can make a huge difference in gaming performance ( refresh rate of monitor ).

z3k3iel187

Z
eaz135 said:
for mobo try epox , asus or soltek. i suggest 8x apg.

i would get a geforce4ti over a radeon. the decent radeons are so much more expensive than the gf4tis and u hardly get a difference out of it. and alot more programs and games support nvidia chips / geforces.

with ram 512 ddr is pleanty.

dont get a sblive 5.1 is rubish if ur connecting a decent sound system to ur comp. its ok if ur connecting up 5$ computer speakers though.

with the cpu try and get a 2.4 ghz and i suggest getting a different cooling system to the one that comes with the chip, the default heatsinks and fans are rubish, even the itel and amd approved ones.

and while ur upgrading u might wanna get a new monitor if ur current monitor isnt too good. the quality of the monitor can make a huge difference in gaming performance ( refresh rate of monitor ).

i got a good moniter i think.. its a view sonic 19" which is goo denough for me and its a flat screen... also wut kind of sblive should i get then? and can i transfer my intel cpu im usin right now to my new motherboard? or is it liek soddered in?

Best answers
I think I already answer that question when I was chatting to you in AIM

Best answers
the cpus are not soldered in they are placed in sockets / slots . i dont know why u would want to transfer ur old cpu ??? i think u might mean ur hard drive ?

Best answers
He ment his CPU but don't worry I sorted his problem in AIM :laff::laff:

🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Go with either an intel, abit, gigabyte, or msi board. Unfortunantly you can't do much with 350 now adays. A good motherboard will cost 120-150. New processor about the same. Good ram will be at least that. My video card alone cost 350 and I got a deal on it.

In a little comptuer knowledge... intel chips are more stable than amd. The newer the athlon the hotter it burns. For example: if you take the heatsink off a pentium 4 is slows down to like 100mhz. If you take the heatsink off an athlonxp it instantly fries. I swear to god I will cook an egg on an athlon one day... Asus boards are not to be trusted. The only good Sis chipset so far is the sis 655. Gigabyte makes a great bored with it with a cool name called the GA-SINXP. If your going to go with ddr make sure you can set up your ram to work in dual channel or single parity mode. With ddr400 running in dual channel its faster than rd-ram which is quiet a feet.

When you make a new comptuer make sure you have a decent motherboard, a powersupply that will power evreything, good airflow in your case, stable processor, decent ram. Everything else can be taken in stride. If you have problems with your comptuer right off but its not overheating or anything like that, the best bet is that its your hard drive. Bad hard drives will be noted by files with messed up names in your c drive that pop up by themselves. Bad hard drives can cause a variety of problems which I myself have been plauged in the past with. Hope this helps some as I know I just threw some stuff out.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What i would buy if i was you:-

Intel Pentium IV 2.4C
IC7 Motherboard
Radeon 9600 Pro
Sound Baster Live
512DDR Ram
Thats a decent setup and the 2.4C is capable of running at about 3.2Ghz on stock cooling.

Also the topic is in the wrong place moved to Off-Topic

BrunO

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What is everyone bad talking the sound blaster live? I'm sure it's not the best sound card, but why is it so bad?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom