Update on the Leak **READ**

Badassologist Ph/D
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
yeah a 45 second vid of a pair of testers dueling would be cool. show some new features that we don't know about yet and don't tell anyone what they are for a month lol

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Are staged pics on the list? We haven't seen enough of those?

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
Are staged pics on the list? We haven't seen enough of those?
Did you know the game has shadows?

Look at the water! Check it out, lemme show you some more pics of the same map...but WITH A SUNGLARE AT A DIFFERENT ANGLE!

Oh well next video will just be another mocked DBZ episode showcasing more staged fights + pretty explosions that takes hours to film + edit. Wouldn't want to bug anyone asking for a video that would require an entire few minutes to edit since it wouldn't be some DBZ scene.

Last edited:
Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I wouldn't mind the stupid dbz reenactments if that didn't then become the reason why we can't see a pure gameplay vid. Reading multiple people say a recording of a fight requires too many resources and takes away from development is absurd as its literally two commands: record and stop.

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
Yeah but you see the game has bugs, Zeo. Even though it's in development and not released yet we wouldn't want to give people the wrong idea like it's unfinished or anything.

wait

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Lets just say that melee needs work before we can fully show it in action, and that the issue comes from the fixed hit-boxes (they are properly scaled to the model size now, unlike 1.2 where they were twice the model size). Are you guys satisfied with that answer?

✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
I wouldn't mind the stupid dbz reenactments if that didn't then become the reason why we can't see a pure gameplay vid. Reading multiple people say a recording of a fight requires too many resources and takes away from development is absurd as its literally two commands: record and stop.
But what about the people who perhaps don't want to show certain impressive aspects until release day? Besides, you won't be able to type stop purely because the game would probably crash, from what I've heard and seen from the 'leaked' video. Besides, it does take away from development. No one wants to see a random guy from the dev team run into a wall at a 90 degree angle, then at a 45 degree angle, then at a 23 degree angle, and then swoop at a wall at a 90 degree angle, then at a 45 degree angle, then at a 23 angle, etcetera. In order to just play it for 'fun', they would be taking away from time they would be using for development, by playing a (semi) competetive match.

And even more, the game would crash constantly, even if you did record the game play with external software, and thus resetting everyone's PL, and making people annoyed. And what happens if the host crashes? Then the whole game is just ruined. You won't get any transformations, you won't get any impressive and intense battles, because it is far too buggy.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
But what about the people who perhaps don't want to show certain impressive aspects until release day? Besides, you won't be able to type stop purely because the game would probably crash, from what I've heard and seen from the 'leaked' video. Besides, it does take away from development. No one wants to see a random guy from the dev team run into a wall at a 90 degree angle, then at a 45 degree angle, then at a 23 degree angle, and then swoop at a wall at a 90 degree angle, then at a 45 degree angle, then at a 23 angle, etcetera. In order to just play it for 'fun', they would be taking away from time they would be using for development, by playing a (semi) competetive match.

And even more, the game would crash constantly, even if you did record the game play with external software, and thus resetting everyone's PL, and making people annoyed. And what happens if the host crashes? Then the whole game is just ruined. You won't get any transformations, you won't get any impressive and intense battles, because it is far too buggy.
Yea both of them were testers. And a lot of bugs are found by getting a bunch of testers/devs in to a server and just going nuts with the game. They both know that. What you described happens after a bug is found in order to recreate it. In any case the reason for us not showing a gameplay duel, is because ATM the melee system is not really suited for that due to issues with the hit-boxes. Thats why we are not showing it.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Lets just say that melee needs work before we can fully show it in action, and that the issue comes from the fixed hit-boxes (they are properly scaled to the model size now, unlike 1.2 where they were twice the model size). Are you guys satisfied with that answer?

]In any case the reason for us not showing a gameplay duel, is because ATM the melee system is not really suited for that due to issues with the hit-boxes. Thats why we are not showing it.
That's legitimately all I needed to hear. I understand smaller hitboxes mean targets will be harder to hit, resulting in many a whiffed punch. Will this result in larger changes to the game play mechanisms or is this more a matter of tweaking?

@ Horatio: If you don't want to see it, don't watch it. Mind blown. The rest of your post is senseless conjecture based on absolutely nothing, which seems to be a trend with you. Don't post just to post.

✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
@ Horatio: If you don't want to see it, don't watch it. Mind blown. The rest of your post is senseless conjecture based on absolutely nothing, which seems to be a trend with you. Don't post just to post.
The rest of the post was based on the fact that on the 'leaked' video, it showed numerous crashes, thus effectively messing up the gameplay. I can understand the 'If you don't want to see it, don't watch it.'. I can't actually agree with your second point, the one about 'senseless conjecture based on absolutely nothing'. The Dev team, (Mainly Grega. :p) have, on multiple occasions, noted how buggy and incomplete the game is. On the new year's day video w/ Frieza vs. Goku, didn't you see them talking about how it was done multiple times due to crashes?

Anyway, your points here were almost all valid, and I would have given you +rep for that post, but it says I have to spread it around before giving it to you again. :|

Death from Above
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That's legitimately all I needed to hear. I understand smaller hitboxes mean targets will be harder to hit, resulting in many a whiffed punch. Will this result in larger changes to the game play mechanisms or is this more a matter of tweaking?

When the melee system is up and running again I will try and prioritise a video for you ok?

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well the mechanics shouldnt change. However we do need to find a fix for this issue. As quite frankly its a bad one. Then again there is still some coding that needs to be done with the physics, so that might also be an issue. We first need to get a full picture of exactly what is amiss before we can get a good idea on how to properly make a fix that will not affect the gameplay.

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
Yessir. Actually getting an answer is really all I needed. Thanks a ton for a specified answer, small things like that is How You Do It Right. You own, Grega.

If you guys fix up the hitboxes, I'm legit looking forward to future developments on the melee system. It'll make it more challenging to be "elite" whereas you have to hit the actual models, as opposed to matching up to a pro who knows exactly how to angle a hit at the edge of the hitbox currently. Stuff like that kept a big skill-gap which will still happen in ESF:F, but upping the ante on what it takes to be amazing makes it less discouraging for newer/learning players.

Deverz said:
When the melee system is up and running again I will try and prioritise a video for you ok?
That would be awesome but there's no hurry once it's up and running. Getting a direct answer from Grega was enough to calm my bittervet tiny black heart.

Last edited:
Death from Above
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
P.S it was my idea to tell you guys it was broken, Grega was just going to let you be angry :p

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If Himmler weren't running the team, I'd already know first-hand by now.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hitboxes are going to be way too small if they're properly sized to the model. You're going to be swooping around and not hitting anything, especially considering maps are bigger, which I assume means we're going to be swooping faster, which of course means that we need bigger hitboxes, not smaller.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom