To the guitarists out there

Force Pit Member
Best answers
So ive got back to play on the guitar after a few years, got myself an acoustic this time to upgrade the sound.

I am looking for fingerpicking songs to play (not all of the song)

I started playing Babe im gonna leave you and its pretty hard and painful on the metal strings of the acoustic so I picked up Better Man by Pearl Jam instead, which is much much easier.

I tried finding a decent instructional video online of Behind Blue Eyes (the who version) but could not find anything.

Basically im looking for beautiful fingerpicking melodies like Babe im gonna leave you or Behind Blue Eyes, but I can not seem to remember any song. I love romantic melodies (but from the classic rock era, no spanish songs)

In the level sense - I'd say im intermidate, i can play babe im gonna leave you but I get buzz sounds after a while when i get tired. I won't be able to play Free Bird solo but I can play better man and some of babe im gonna leave you.

Basically I need a suggestion for some songs that sound like "Babe im gonna leave you" or "Wish you were here" which are not insanely diffucult to play.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The only one I can find for Behind Blue Eyes is the Limp Bizkit version.

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Don't laugh now, but a lot of the tabs at www.gametabs.net are transcribed to be played finger style.

Remember Matoya's Cave from FF1? Sounds all badass on an acoustic with this tab:
http://www.gametabs.net/final-fantasy/matoyas-cave-0

That's about all I can suggest. See if you can get your hands on some classical guitar music, learning that shit will make your fingers pro at moving independently on both hands.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
House of the rising sun is fun to play

Like a Boss? :O
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Actually, like Deman said. I would suggest that site for what you're looking for, I don't play personally but my friend does and that's the site he uses all the time. Outside of that, Masta listed quite a few great ones, and the one Sub gave was also a great example.

🌈 Beta Tester
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I own a guitar and have no idea where to start. Any suggestions on where to even start? I feel awkward even holding the thing.

Human?
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
More Than Words by Extreme
Tears In Heaven by Eric Clapton
Classical Gas by Mason Williams (?)
Jesu, Joy Of Man's Desiring by Sebastian Bach, or something
Here Without You, Be Like That and Let Me Go (Acoustic) by 3 Doors Down
Nothing Else Matters by Metallica
Lie To Me (Acoustic) by 12 Stones
My Heroine (Acoustic), Replace You (Acoustic), Burning Hearts (Acoustic) and Call It Karma (Acoustic) by Silverstein
Dear God by Avenged Sevenfold (Still learning this one, it's hard)
Everlong (Acoustic) by Foo Fighters (Gonna try this one soon)
Hero Of War and Swing Life Away by Rise Against
Snuff and Vermillion Pt. 2 by Slipknot
When You Were Young by The Killers
Sympathy and Iris by The Goo Goo Dolls
Mmmm Mmmm Mmmm Mmmm by Crash Test Dummies

These are most of the songs I like playing on acoustic guitar. Mind you, I'm not any good yet. But these are fun and easy playing, and also fun to sing along to.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I own a guitar and have no idea where to start. Any suggestions on where to even start? I feel awkward even holding the thing.
Start with going to a music shop and signing up for lessons. It's usually like 10 to 15 dollars a lesson. While it's entirely possible to learn everything you need too on your own, I would very strongly recommend getting a teacher. If you are low on cash I would just have your teacher teach you the basics (picking, fingering, intonation, basic scale structures, tablature) and then take it on your own from there.

My teacher had me learn songs that make heavy use of particular elements, which I think is a good way to go about it. I think my first lesson was a green day song.

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Start with going to a music shop and signing up for lessons. It's usually like 10 to 15 dollars a lesson. While it's entirely possible to learn everything you need too on your own, I would very strongly recommend getting a teacher. If you are low on cash I would just have your teacher teach you the basics (picking, fingering, intonation, basic scale structures, tablature) and then take it on your own from there.

My teacher had me learn songs that make heavy use of particular elements, which I think is a good way to go about it. I think my first lesson was a green day song.
Lessons with a teacher are the best way to go. Outside of all their knowledge and experience they'll also let you know what you should be doing with your body. You want to get into having good posture and technique and you can't pick that up looking up videos and tablature online. You can get get sloppy or showy later when you're badass enough to do it. I went the self-teaching route for years and while I got okay, it wasn't until I sat down with a guitar and a teacher that I started breaking through ceilings.

If you do want to go at it yourself though, I suggest finding a nice chord chart. Ideally you'll want to play around with all the major and minor chords until you've got them all memorized. C, G, Am, F, Em, and D are pretty popular is most pop songs(mainly because of the key most pop songs are in) so those are good ones to focus on. Bm, F#, and C# are also good ones to add if you plan on learning some of the more ballady songs. If you get your strumming and chord transitions down pat, you are now skillful enough to pick up girls in the park with an acoustic. That is the main reason we picked it up to begin with, right?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
In the spirit of guitars and guitarists... Just finished this painting...
Can anyone guess who it is?

Guess Who.jpg

And this is the process of me painting it:

Guess Who - Process.jpg

Last edited:
Discord Member
Best answers
hey there delilah - by plain white T's ... and BLACKBIRD BY BEATLES!!! (mcarthy really)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom