This is awesome. I wish I could be there.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
So I was watching the Daily Show and the Colbert Report.

And I laughed. Hard.

Jon Stewart announces the Rally to Restore Sanity.

"I'm mad as hell, and I'm not going to take it anymore!"

Who among us has not wanted to open their window and shout that at the top of their lungs?

Seriously, who?

Because we're looking for those people. We're looking for the people who think shouting is annoying, counterproductive, and terrible for your throat; who feel that the loudest voices shouldn't be the only ones that get heard; and who believe that the only time it's appropriate to draw a Hitler mustache on someone is when that person is actually Hitler. Or Charlie Chaplin in certain roles.

Are you one of those people? Excellent. Then we'd like you to join us in Washington, DC on October 30 -- a date of no significance whatsoever -- at the Daily Show's "Rally to Restore Sanity." Ours is a rally for the people who've been too busy to go to rallies, who actually have lives and families and jobs (or are looking for jobs) -- not so much the Silent Majority as the Busy Majority. If we had to sum up the political view of our participants in a single sentence... we couldn't. That's sort of the point.

Think of our event as Woodstock, but with the nudity and drugs replaced by respectful disagreement; the Million Man March, only a lot smaller, and a bit less of a sausage fest; or the Gathering of the Juggalos, but instead of throwing our feces at Tila Tequila, we'll be actively *not* throwing our feces at Tila Tequila. Join us in the shadow of the Washington Monument. And bring your indoor voice. Or don't. If you'd rather stay home, go to work, or drive your kids to soccer practice... Actually, please come anyway. Ask the sitter if she can stay a few extra hours, just this once. We'll make it worth your while.
And Stephen Colbert announces his Rally to Keep Fear Alive.

America, the Greatest Country God ever gave Man, was built on three bedrock principles: Freedom. Liberty. And Fear -- that someone might take our Freedom and Liberty. But now, there are dark, optimistic forces trying to take away our Fear -- forces with salt and pepper hair and way more Emmys than they need. They want to replace our Fear with reason. But never forget -- "Reason" is just one letter away from "Treason." Coincidence? Reasonable people would say it is, but America can't afford to take that chance.

So join The Rev. Sir Dr. Stephen T. Colbert, D.F.A. on October 30th for the "March to Keep Fear Alive"™ in Washington DC. Pack an overnight bag with five extra sets of underwear -- you're going to need them. Because, to Restore Truthiness we must always... Shh!!! What's that sound?! I think there's someone behind you! Run!
This is awesome. Anyone near DC who's planning on going?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
*MAYBE*

I was never rally person. For anything. I would think most of the people who want to take it down a notch aren't the ones who want to rally, but still an event hosted by Stewart, Colbert, and the rest might warrant trip down to DC...

I think I'll go with the March to Keep Fear Alive one though.

King of the Hello Kitty Fanclub
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sounds hilarious. If I lived in DC I'd go, but I wouldn't travel from other parts of America (or fly from Australia...)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Update.

http://blog.reddit.com/2010/10/update-on-colbert-stewart-march-rally.html

Now that 2010-10-30 is less than a month away, it's probably time for an update. First off, you guys have given nearly $300,000 in donations to the Truthiness in the Classroom project. That's unbelievable, but we think you can do even unbelievabler, so we've worked out a deal with Stephen Colbert: if we can bring our total up to $500,000 by the end of the month, he'll let reddit interview him. No word on whether it'll be text or video, but I can promise that we'll browbeat him as follows: "Come on, Colbert! We raised half a million dollars for needy schoolchildren -- comb your hair and give us a little face time!"

As a reminder of how attainable this goal is, we raised over $100,000 in the first day. Let's see how fast we can do that two more times..
I can't believe how... nice Reddit is. I've spent a fair amount of time on the internet and I never expected these kind of reactions from what's basically just a big forum. For those of you that don't know, this entire rally was dreamt up by Redditors for Stephen Colbert, the "Restore Truthiness" campaign. They've managed to raise almost $300,000 dollars for this campaign, even before there was actually an campaign to raise money for. It's crazy.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It looks like sanity is beginning to be restored.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Reddit was full of comparison pictures to Beck's rally. I can't wait to see the actual numbers. It seemed much bigger. Not sure how much truth is in this picture but this has been floating around;

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This was actually on the news here in the Netherlands, me and my gf's family applauded it. Government should be about running and improving the country, and not about fear mongering and mud throwing for the sake of future elections. Along the way this was forgotten in the states it seems.

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Exciting stuff, I love Stewart & Colbert.

Both of them are very smart; but alot of people look down on them as "Simple comedians" in the media...tis hilarious because they're much smarter than most actual news reporters, and they said more of America gets their news from them than actual news programs, so ahaha.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
17-25 year olds I believe, right?

Still, we are the generation that could make a huge difference. And I really hope we can.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
We are the generation who will make a difference. We have to or there will be nothing left.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The Hippy generation thought the same. And they were far more determined than us, far more peaceful and loving, made a far bigger difference and influenced culture far more than we have- and you know what happened to them? After they turned 25 they all started buying cheap cars, cutting their hair and getting crap jobs because they needed to support their families. Then they stopped caring and protesting because they were too busy to do so.
Which is why we are awesome because we aren't as extreme. I would argue we are a more realistic bunch than the hippies. Our lifestyle/opinions will be easier to maintain than the hippy pipedreams.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think what this rally proved is that people generally dislike yelling and zealots.

"This is hard times... not end times." - Jon Stewart

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
And yet nothing will change.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
We might have dented 1/100th of the Fox News audience... might've?

I'd say grandstanding for 3 hours is worth converting 10%.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom