The Ozone Hole has Split

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
http://msnbc.com/news/815212.asp?pne=msn

what do u think about this, is global warming still just a theory is it not that bad or getting worse to you?

the fact that the ozone "holes" are over antartica (ice caps) reminds me of waterworld and how they melted and flooded the earth.

Best answers
well all i know is by the time the o zone layer is gone ill be dead

Banned
Banned
Best answers
You do realize that if the polar ice caps melted, it really wouldn't do much?
They're already displacing the amount of water contained within..
Basically, if they melted, everything would stay pretty much the same, since they're pushing away an amount of water equal to itself.
So..the water levels may rise..but it wouldn't mean a massive flood.

Shorelines might be pushed back..but nothing major like most people assume.

Retired
Best answers
yep even if the ice caps melt. it never contains enough water to flood the earth. so dont be afraid ;)

Best answers
Has anyone read the Red Mars Series?
The polar ice caps melting is indeed a problem. The current deal with them is that they are NOT in the ocean, they're sitting on the continent of Antartica. This means that their volume doesn't affect the sea level. On the other hand, if they start to melt, there's no reason for them not to slide off the Antartica and into the ocean. If they do this, we're talking a crazy amount of volume. Even so, the oceans are pretty large right? They shouldn't raise the sea level that much, right?
That depends on how much they need to raise the sea level. In the state of Georgia, for example, there's a region called the Piedmont that was essentially part of the prehistoric ocean floor. As such, it has just about zero change in elevation. The same applies to a large part of Florida, and many other coastal regions. If the sea level were to rise a couple of meters, those flatlands would be swamped, effectively useless as arable or liveable land. Think about that happening all over the world. This isn't a joke.
People need space to live, and most importantly of all, space to grow food.
I'm not sure why people aren't' worried about this, but I know I'm not investing in beachfront property.
Thanks for reading.

Thanks for the correction Cucumba, I didn't know that.
As to Chimpbot... I believe you're thinking of what is usually called the "North Pole" (though the polarities of the poles switch from time to time). Check a globe, there's a continent down there.

Best answers
lol did you people even read the link?

Hole over Antarctica
also markedly smaller
this year, scientists say

An Australian study published two weeks ago reported that chlorine-based chemical levels in the atmosphere are falling, and the hole in the ozone layer should close within 50 years. Although the ozone layer has not yet begun to repair itself, the hole would probably start closing within five years
omg it repairing itself in about 5 years!!!
OH NO WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :p

owa

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
lol I dun care about the ozone layer lol if we all die its our own faults.

Ice Cream God
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Jez stop worrying. You people are to paranoid. Just relax and stop worrying about all these "global disaters". I just worry about bad things when they are actually happening. I mean its not like an asteroid is hurdling towards earth.

*looks outside, sees asteroid*
Why am I always wrong?:p

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
the hole over antartica is closing....

Banned
Banned
Best answers
Originally posted by [UCB]Hi_There!
The polar ice caps melting is indeed a problem. The current deal with them is that they are NOT in the ocean, they're sitting on the continent of Antartica. This means that their volume doesn't affect the sea level. On the other hand, if they start to melt, there's no reason for them not to slide off the Antartica and into the ocean. If they do this, we're talking a crazy amount of volume. Even so, the oceans are pretty large right? They shouldn't raise the sea level that much, right?
That depends on how much they need to raise the sea level. In the state of Georgia, for example, there's a region called the Piedmont that was essentially part of the prehistoric ocean floor. As such, it has just about zero change in elevation. The same applies to a large part of Florida, and many other coastal regions. If the sea level were to rise a couple of meters, those flatlands would be swamped, effectively useless as arable or liveable land. Think about that happening all over the world. This isn't a joke.
People need space to live, and most importantly of all, space to grow food.
I'm not sure why people aren't' worried about this, but I know I'm not investing in beachfront property.
Thanks for reading.
The only real problem with that entire statement is that the continent we call Antartica is really one big block of frozen stuff.
Not much ground down there.

The ice caps have been melting for centuries, yet nothing detrimental has happened.
Face it..
The Earth will not flood..
Miniscule parts of the landmasses may be covered..
but its not like it'll really affect anything important.

Best answers
Lol It seems like people would be excited if the world was gonna come to an end soon:devil:

Scruffie

S
Chimpot, methinks you don't live near a shoreline.

I on the other hand DO. I have flooded my pants already.:shocked:

Best answers
lets build an arc and search for dryland.

take 2 *** animals and then let her make love on dryland.

may the repopulation begin!

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Originally posted by Chimpbot
You do realize that if the polar ice caps melted, it really wouldn't do much?
They're already displacing the amount of water contained within..
Basically, if they melted, everything would stay pretty much the same, since they're pushing away an amount of water equal to itself.
So..the water levels may rise..but it wouldn't mean a massive flood.

Shorelines might be pushed back..but nothing major like most people assume.
LOL :D

tell that 2 the ppl from holland
damn where allready like 5 meters under the sea level :S

help prosac throw the floods
pls deposit on this acount 2345-flood

Best answers
The ozone layer splitting is a good thing. It got smaller overall...

owa

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Pfft I dun care if we all die so what I dun care meens notthing to me.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Originally posted by [UCB]Hi_There!
Red Mars is based on an old estimate of the ice caps' volume. The current estimate, Antartica included would raise sea levels significantly, but not catostrophically.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom