The new explosion...

Best answers
will the new explosion sprites will have an effect on the fps?

Bolteh2

B
has the same effect on fps as the old ones had... you drop quite alot when ur right in the middle of the explosion.. but looking at from a distance doesnt affect fps

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ahh very nice. but what about maps? and swooping? plz inform me thanks

Sound Artist
Best answers
I got about 40 fps with a 900 Mhz amd athlon and 384 sd ram. With 12+ people they dropped to about 20. With my new system, i get 99 fps all day long. 1.8 Ghz, 768 DDR ram.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i have:
P4 2.8 processor
512 RAM
Radeon 9800 ATI
60 gig HD
512 Broadband

i get roughly a consistant 60fps??
take it the higher teh better? lol

i wouldnt of thought the explosions would make much of a difference because it stills counts on how much Ki or size the explosion on impact

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
@ jayster, go into youre vidcard settings and disable vertical synchronisation.
vertical synchronisation synchronises your fps with the refreshrate of your monitor. when you go ingame now, you will have 72.0 fps.
go into console and type fps_max 100. tadaa 100 fps.
this wont work with crappier comps

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i dont seem to have vertical synchronisation in my vid card options,, i have added you to my msn so we can talk there ^^

EDIT: dont worrie mate i have found it just trying now ^^

EDIT: still getting 60fps and the the (fps_max) says it is at 100 fps already :S

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
My FPS actually improved with 1.2 so I don't think the new effects are going to hamper your systems any. There are a couple of new *huge* maps in 1.2 that may drop your framerate but I don't think it'll disable anybody who wasn't disabled before by the bigger 1.1 maps.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Reptile said:
@ jayster, go into youre vidcard settings and disable vertical synchronisation.
vertical synchronisation synchronises your fps with the refreshrate of your monitor. when you go ingame now, you will have 72.0 fps.
go into console and type fps_max 100. tadaa 100 fps.
this wont work with crappier comps
Once again, I will warn people that V-synch is for pretty and playable. If you turn it off, you actually aren't getting more frames, your just trying to paste more frames to the same screen refresh . . . it doesn't add speed at all. Sure your FPS will read 100, but you are only getting the same redraw rate from that old monitor. My advice? Plunk down for a rediculously fast monitor next.

Or all you get is ugly.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
that for me made no sense cuc..... but from what i read your saying turning v-sync off is bad. yet when i keep it on i get 60 fps and i play well. but when i turn it off i get 99 fps and i play much better (since your eyes can see 72 fps) so um yeah care to explain please. its just with 72 i things slow down in a sense giving me more time to think and make my aim better

🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Your eyes can only see 60 fps. Going any faster than 60 doesn't do anything but show off. V-sync will make sure that your picture doesn't mess up and stays looking nice. So it's better if you can stop bragging about fps and just throw on v-sync.

Best answers
According to my encyclopaedia, your eyes can be fooled into seeing continuous motion with as low as 14 FPS, and most animation on TV is at 25.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That's only because they use things like scanlines and other tricks. I forget what some of the other tricks are, but I know they don't work on computer monitors. Anyway, disabling VSynch should really be a last ditch effort for ppl who get crap FPS below their monitor's refresh rate.

-Karrde-

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Jayster said:
i dont seem to have vertical synchronisation in my vid card options,, i have added you to my msn so we can talk there ^^

EDIT: dont worrie mate i have found it just trying now ^^

EDIT: still getting 60fps and the the (fps_max) says it is at 100 fps already :S
You use WinXP, I bet. It has a bug where it ALWAYS sets default refresh rates to 60 fps, no matter what you set as your preference. Get around it with a little program called power strip, or an even littler one called refreshlock.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Cucumba said:
Once again, I will warn people that V-synch is for pretty and playable. If you turn it off, you actually aren't getting more frames, your just trying to paste more frames to the same screen refresh . . . it doesn't add speed at all. Sure your FPS will read 100, but you are only getting the same redraw rate from that old monitor. My advice? Plunk down for a rediculously fast monitor next.

Or all you get is ugly.
Yeah...not to mention in ESF or Half Life in general, disabling Vsync on radeons will get you some ugly splitting in the center of the screen. As if a separate frame is cutting into your current one, and they mismatch about halfway down.

Ruins your melee, man. Trust me on that.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
no you are wrong about the eye seeing only 60 frames per second. it is scientifically prooven that the Human eye can process 72 frames per second hence the default for half life is 72 fps. and im not bragging i am just confused on how you say turning v-sync off is bad yet with out it i cant play as well as i do.

when i started playing esf i had 30 fps. and i really was terrible. then i found out about opengl and my fps when to 60 (YAY) and i could beat people i couldnt beat before. then i found out about v-sync and turning it off. and i dont know about you guys but not only do i fight better than before but i can see a lot better... i dont get a distortion in my screen or anything. i can see quite well.

Best answers
The reason Cuc said it was bad was b/c if you turn v-sync off, then (most likely) your video card will be putting out more frames then your monitor can handle, so it just kinda pastes them all together, and it starts looking quite nasty/choppy, especially when turning.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
72 FPS might be easier on the eye than 30 but if you just brought someone into a room and asked them to guess the FPS on a game you were playing they wouldn't be as accurate as you think. The reason 60 FPS is better than 30 FPS is because the turns are smoother, and that's a big part of a game like ESF where you're cards are required to redraw backgrounds and character models at all different angles at any given time. We notice skipped frames on a flat immobile monitor more easily than we do when we turn in real life because our vision tends to blur anything we aren't focusing on. A video card tries to keep every texture sharp all the time, so when you turn fast with 30 FPS you notice that the screen misses a couple of frames and it bothers your brain a little. At 60 when you turn you skip less frames because you simply have more being layed down. When your frames get out of control and you don't have v-sync on to cap the rate and smooth them out for you your card doesn't know where to put the data so it puts more than one image down at a time and yadda yadda. I know Cuc already said this stuff I'm just trying to see if I can provide a different perspective for explanation.

Anyway, your brain can tell the difference between 60 and 30 when you're turning and your brain is focusing your vision on everything on the screen (since it can't focus on just the individual lighting mechanisms that color textures), but if you were just watching a render of something or sitting still you couldn't tell. That is where the arguments get confusing. Feel free to correct me as you find errors in what I'm trying to say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom