The last time you were blown away by a game?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
When was the last time you were actually blown away by playing a game (not watching a video of a game), I mean, you had to sit down (or if you were already sitting, it made you stand up) and you tried to say 'whoa' but your jaw had already dropped to the floor? Where your parents think your on amphetamines because your eyes are popping out of your head with dilated pupils? Think hard about this one.

I can really only think of one. Sure Crysis has amazing video demos showing off the rawking power of DX10, and Half-Life 2 was technically impressive, but there's only one game that managed to do it all, and that would be...

Zone of the Enders.

Why?

Because it came with a demo of Metal Gear Solid 2!

I hadn't seen any of the videos, pictures or other media for the game before I played it, and given that the last game looked like this;

Which for it's time was amazing, to go to this;

Hiding in lockers, detailed precision shooting (not just headshots, but radios and kneecapping too), realistic rain and glass physics, sharp graphics flowing at 60fps and the best AI of it's time. I must've played the 10 minutes demo more than the game it came with. Needless to say I picked the full game up on the day of it's release.

Share your stories, i'm sure everyone has one.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Same thing with Mgs. For me it was more with FPS games. An example :

You could fly/drive/control ships, which was in 2002 an awesome thing.

As you can see, it doesn't have so good graphics.
At 2003:

So Detailed, So good, Terrifying and all, only in one year such a huge graphics leap.

Best answers
the last time for me is when i first played Gears of War, just <3 the style of gameplay and to me had an intresting story and the main charcs were devolped pretty well. The graphics also made me cream myself.

as ppl are posting screenys might aswell join the party

Best answers

w00t Deus Ex.

Ima gonna install it again right now and play :)

Best answers
i too have got to go with goldeneye for the n64, i was young and hadnt had a gaming concole before that, and goldeneye was just so awesomly good to play, along with lylat wars, 1080 snowboarding, wwf no mercy, tommorow never dies and many many more...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yea I gotta go with gear of war...the first time I saw the commercial for it I was like woa and then when I played it I was like whoa...truly stunning game

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Robot Alchemic Drive

Insane sense of scale. You are on top of a building/on a street looking for a vantage point to use your monstrous robot to fight other robots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnRX94tkQRw

Oh and Ace Combat 5 was just epic.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
gonna second synth and ravendust, as i played mgs1 and goldeneye at about the same time.

Best answers
Well The first time I was blown away by a game was Battlefield 1942, I had only played CS before and I couldn't belief that such a game could exist where I could actually fight in real warfare and i still think it's the best in the entire series ! and the DC combat mod just blew me away all over again

I actually called up my best friend at the time and said "get the **** over here and see this! Gotta go before I'm shot out by this bomber" (it's sad but it was a bloody good game

The last time was Gears of war and I supported that by playing it for 8 hours straight after buying it, completed the single player and then owned my best friend by killing him repeatedly on mutiplayer

I wondered why were no longer speaking :p

ESF Head Team Mapper
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🍂 Regular
Best answers
Uber old, but just pure awesomeness. DOTT
Played it on my old 4x86 which even had a soundblaster :D
I still play it like once every two years or so :)

Fallout 2 (and part 1)
All time classic and one of my absolute favorite games.

Then there was Grandia2. Picked it up for like 10 bucks... Man I loved that game .. I couldn't stop playing.

And recently... Battlefield2142 :D
Say what you want but I like it sooo much more then the previous BF games (and I have all of them)

Best answers
id have to say gears of wars when i went to my uncles house and played it there, or actualy most xbox360 games he had. there was this awesome as game called just cause i think. it was so fun and so good graphics + gameplay

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I would have to say gears of war before they messed it with all the patches and the hype died down.

Its just such an excellent game.

Best answers
Has to be either Budokai Tenkaichi 2

or MGS3

(gotta love all the camos :) )

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
the last time for me is when i first played Gears of War, just <3 the style of gameplay and to me had an intresting story and the main charcs were devolped pretty well. The graphics also made me cream myself.

as ppl are posting screenys might aswell join the party

Quoted for truth.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Call of Duty 1 was like playing Band of Brothers. Played the demo one night, bought the game the next.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom