Super-strength bionic suit: HAL

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=mg18624945.800

What can I say, sweet. It's controlled by the wearers brain like any other limb, giving the wearer super strength, letting them life 40kg (nearly 100lbs) on top of what they could usually lift. I wonder how long it will be before we see battle-suits of a similar nature :D

NewScientist said:
HAL is the result of 10 years' work by Yoshiyuki Sankai of the University of Tsukuba in Japan, and integrates mechanics, electronics, bionics and robotics in a new field known as cybernics. The most fully developed prototype, HAL 3, is a motor-driven metal "exoskeleton" that you strap onto your legs to power-assist leg movements.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I heard about this before. No surprise to e that the Japanese are giving it a shot...But so is the US Military.

The Viking
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'd say, use these things for people who are paralized instead of enhancing warfare with them.

L

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Atleast the Japanese are being realistic! and DOING something! ><
the US-M Are trying to make a suit out of .. Some sort of special fiber?! Wtf?! There making 3D models of what it will LOOK Like o.o wtf... Stupid A...erm..nvm -_-

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Cold Steel said:
I'd say, use these things for people who are paralized instead of enhancing warfare with them.

thats a nice idea, in theory, except that if they are paralised, it means their nerves arent picking up the messages from the brain, so it wouldnt work anyway >;[

The Viking
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
"It's controlled by the wearers brain"

Wouldn't that mean, you could actually move it with your brains only. Or am I missing someting :eek:

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Assuming it's connected to the brain itself and not the nerves connected to the brain, then yes a paraplegic would be able to use it. I think it is connected to the nerves though because it says on the diagram that it monitors nerve signals from the brain to the muscles. Then again that could mean just the signals and not the nerves themselves. Any biologists want to clear this up?

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
As a bio major/scientist type, I say that's pretty damn awesome. The only way it'd be better would be if I could get an upgraded version, which let me jump around really high ala "X" :p Or at least a few feet higher anyhow :p But realistically, this represents a great advancement in terms of not only assisted living/options for the disabled, but a great advancement merely on the technological side. Maybe we're closer to Ghost in the Shell type stuff than we think :p

-Karrde-

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
lets not get too far ahead, its still as slow as a slug and gobbles up that battery power like theres no tomorrow im sure. i'd prefer it if they finally finish this damm teleportation they have managed to achieve in the past two years, sod mech suits, i want food at the press of a button! D:

Ice Cream God
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I think its a great tool, but what if the batteries die during something o_O

Best answers
Could this mean you don't use your muscles anymore or do you still have to use 'force' in order to move? Might sound (and look) cool and would be perfect for the paralized, but what about personal health? Having machine doing everything for you wouldn't exactly improve it. If it just adds power to your movement it'd be alright but then it wouldn't work for those who can't move their legs in the first place. Of course I suppoze only people who need it get those things, but... who knows?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
So the japanese get kick ass bio suits...

And we get a new item on a fast food menu -_-

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Looks cool, I've seen articles where they talk about using these things in the military. Not for direct combat purposes, but for the ability to lift heavy things, etc.

KarrdeKNR said:
The only way it'd be better would be if I could get an upgraded version, which let me jump around really high ala "X" :p
Oh God no... when I read that the first thing that popped into my mind were those boots from that Mario Bros. movie with Bob Hoskins. Noooo!

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It look cool but...

The end of the world is very soon...

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Dude, I'd totally pay good money for those boots :p And I KNOW you're not dissin' the Mario bros. movie :p X is just pretty people in high places. But they all jump like really high and fly about :p As for battery power and all, yeah, prolly sucks it like no tomorrow, but at least you're walking. As for excercise and health, if you're a parapalegic, you won't need t worry about that kind of thing anyway since you're not exactly going to go walking anywhere anyhow. Not without the suit anyhow.

-Karrde-

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom