Sub's Special Forces

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
There's a game engine out there called Unity3D. They released an update yesterday adding official 2D support, and I've decided to give learning it a go by making a 2D pseudo Earth's Special Forces. I spent a good part of today playing around in it, trying to learn the workflow and how to do very basic things. It's going to take a long while for me to get used to, but I do like it.

The game I'm making is a remake of a prototype I made a while back

Ancient video of the flight / beam / melee hit physics from the original prototype
Where I'm at right now with the Unity version

I should mention that you're mostly expected to mostly repeatedly tap a direction to move. You can hold an arrow key down and you'll dash that way after a brief delay, but that's going to use up a good deal of energy I think.

I really liked the way flight felt in the first prototype I made, and I'm trying to recapture the feel. I'm still pretty far off, but I'm still tweaking it.

I have no idea how far I'll get, but ideally it'd work something like this:
  • Two players on the map
  • If the players fly into each other, a melee clash happens, which basically means that the player who was traveling faster (in the direction of the opponent) wins and the player traveling slower gets damaged and knocked back
  • You can charge and fire energy attacks which deal a good bit of damage
  • You have a ki pool, and it starts to regenerate automatically after a brief period of not using any energy
  • The players would ideally be procedurally animated stick figures, although I'm not sure how viable that is
  • The terrain is probably going to be tile based, sort of like Terraria or Minecraft, and it's going to be destructible and probably randomly generated

Again, I have no idea how far I'll get with this project, but that's the plan.

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
🌟 Senior Member
Best answers
Cool, let me know if you run into any troubles with Unity, I'm quite experienced with Unity.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
He's doing it the

Honestly though I'm curious to see how far you get with it.

✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
Endre, your pun hurt me. :(

Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Enough puns guys. Lets not derail Sub's thread.

Am really looking forward to how the game is gonna turn out.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I updated it. Physics are closer to what I want and I added a ki pool. I know it's terrible, but bear with me.

link

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom