Stephen Colbert for President

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
On October 17, 2007, Stephen Colbert officially announced that he would run for President of the United States. This came after weeks of jokes about being "pressured" to do so by the public and stating that he would need a "sign". Although the legitimacy of his campaign has been questioned, he maintains that he is serious.
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Colbert_presidential_campaign,_2008

Make sure you read the whole article first. There's a lot more to it than the introductory statement I quoted.

Best answers
Yeah, he cannot win Presidency, and he won't. Be serious.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
He's actually running for president, but he's doing it to prove a point. I would be all for it normally, but not this election. This election is actually important.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i can actually see him winning...

at the end of the day, the election literally boils down to a popularity contest. and we all know that Colbert has some good political views. would he make a good president? no more than anyone else. is he more popular than any current runner? damn right.

Best answers
Becoming Governor is easier than becoming President. Besides, Colbert doesn't want to be President.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i can actually see him winning...

at the end of the day, the election literally boils down to a popularity contest. and we all know that Colbert has some good political views. would he make a good president? no more than anyone else. is he more popular than any current runner? damn right.
Except, he can't win. The following is taken from Wikipedia:

"Despite candidacy in South Carolina, Colbert is not running in any other state primaries, and will not be able to gather enough primary wins to himself to become a presidential candidate, regardless of his success in the South Carolina primary, unless he wins other states by a write-in vote.[12]"

Also, take into consideration the ridiculous things he's been saying (absolutely hilarious btw) and the fact that his show is only watched by about a million people.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
While I can definitely account for saying "that'd be awesome" and "I'd vote for him", I don't want him to be president. Not that I don't think he is qualified, but I don't think he could handle those kind of responsibilities. I don't want to see Stephen Colbert swallowed up by those kinds of politics =(.

And I think he knows he won't win the presidency, and he doesn't want to (he wouldn't be able to do his show anymore I would think). I think the real Stephen Colbert would be disappointed if the public went as far at to put him in office because "he's awesome" instead of someone with a background in legislature.

But, if he somehow won the primaries and became the democrat (not republican) candidate, I would probably have to vote for him. I'm done with republican Presidents.

Keiha said:
Yeah, he cannot win Presidency, and he won't. Be serious.
No need to be a party pooper. I'm pretty sure most of Colbert's fans will say "awesome!" or "I'm voting for him", but by the moment they are in the voting booths, they will not let their fandom get in the way. I could see him winning his one primary in South Carolina and even as a Governor of South Carolina, but not for President.

Best answers
But, if he somehow won the primaries and became the democrat (not republican) candidate, I would probably have to vote for him. I'm done with republican Presidents.
As much as I hate to say it... i think everyone is done with the Republicans. Personally, i think the republican party is going to collapse soon... but i dunno, we'll just have to see.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
As much as I hate to say it... i think everyone is done with the Republicans. Personally, i think the republican party is going to collapse soon... but i dunno, we'll just have to see.
Vote for the person, not for the party. Both parties are equally corrupt whether anyone wants to admit it or not, so simply saying "Go Democrats" or "Go Republicans" is akin to saying "**** AMERICA!!".

In any case, while I enjoy Colbert's show, I do not believe him to be capable of running our country nor do I believe this is the appropriate time to run as a gag. The upcoming Presidential election will decide if our country survives or continues on the path to self (and global) destruction.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Vox, it's refreshing to see that some of my fellow americans are actually aware of the shoddy state of our political parties.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Oh I definitely agree that the answers to the US's problems do not lie on a single party, which is why I'd be more comfortable with an independent candidate.

However, a lot of the members of the Democratic party have similar views and the same can be said with the Republican party. I happen to share more views with the democratic party, and since elections basically boil down to those two parties, I think it's appropriate to state which one you agree with more.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I had hoped the Democrats would achieve something (anything really) once they took over congress, but they have failed to do anything of importance and have come across, to me, as giant pussies. Then we have Democratic candidates saying they're not taking a nuclear first-strike on Iran off of the table, and I can't help but laugh nervously as the notion that this country has a one-party system parading around as a two-party system pervades my mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom