Starting Guitar Lessons soon (again)

Force Pit Member
Best answers
So I've been playing various instruments on and off for a little over 3 years now. And, well, to make a long story short, guitar has always been something I really want to get into, but either didn't have the time to do, or was busy with other instruments at the time (currently piano and violin). Anyway, with school, and work, and WoW (shut up), i have been able to manage my time really well.

I'm not entirely sure if I want to start paid lessons yet, I may just practice a bit on my own for a while and get the hang of a few things on my own before I take lessons (pretty much what I did with Piano).

Anyway, here's the thing, right now the guitar's I play on is a ****ty acoustic that I absolutely hate, and a crappy 10 year old fender stratocaster which could very well pass for a stick with strings on it. My step father has around 7 guitars but he refuses to let me use them. So I am looking into buying a guitar. I'm looking for something, if possible, no more than 500 USD. I'd like something easy to play as well. I know next to nothing about guitars so some explaination would definitely help

Here are 2 guitars I'm currently looking into for 2 reasons: one, it's in my price range, two they're on sale...

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-RG5EX1-Electric-Guitar-103574026-i1167870.gc

Here is the first guitar I'm looking into, it's 350 which doesn't seem too bad, and it has some decent reviews.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Dean-Dimebag--Shadow-ML-electric-guitar-104392832-i1323523.gc

Here's another one I'm looking into because, once again, it's in my price range.

If anyone knows of something they think is better for a better price, by all means. I only picked these because they're simply advertised on the website and on sale.

I'm looking for a guitar that's 'easy to play'. I don't mean something I'm going to pick up in 2 seconds and be Joe Satriani. I mean something that's not like my crappy stratocaster.

I'm also looking into amps, right now my step father has a bunch, so I may use his to practice, but just in case for whatever reason, he decides not to let me use them (he babies the hell out of his stuff...) I have something as back up, right now I have a cheap 15 amp, it's not bad, but i wouldn't mind something nicer.

TL;DR

I need an affordable yet nice electric guitar so i can get back into it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If you want a beginner's electric guitar, I recommend the Yamaha Pacifica 112. It's a strat-type guitar that is cheap and gets you a lot of bang for your buck. It's also far beneath your 500 dollar price range (I think it's around 200-300 bucks); allowing you to buy some effects, too, if you should want some. I personally use a Mexican Telecaster, as it's versatile for everything - this is also an option as you live in the US, and get it considerably cheaper than I do in Norway (I think it's exactly on the 500 mark if you buy it online, but I could be
wrong).

Edit:

Ah, didn't read thoroughly enough. It would seem you're mostly into playing metal. Then I apologise for suggesting all-round guitars.

Last edited:
Now with Kung-Fu action!
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ibanez are suitable for metal. I own an SA series and it's been good for what I've played. They're not expensive either. As for Amps, Vox and Marshall are generally good. Vox is my personal favourite though, I found that I could get a wider range of sounds compared to a similar Marshall.

My Mexican Telecaster has my heart though, especially with its strat pick-up ^^.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Marshall are expensive (dunno 'bout Vox, though).
Still, if you're a beginner I suppose it'll be good if you buy some guitar processor. It has a big range of effects (depends on the processor) which you can change yourself. I play metal and have a Squier by Fender and use Korg AX5G. It's not all that bad you can google it and see how it sounds. I'm going to get Boss GT-10, though.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I thoroughly second fortnox' opinion on Dimebag style guitars. Unless there's a prerequisite for you to look particularly awesome as you stand on a stage and perform awesome licks, then pick another guitar. Any Yamaha 112 model is generally a good idea, though it's more versatile than focused towards metal (as both the guitars you yourself pointed out, Brosiris, are). If you want a GOOD guitar that can do anything, go for the Mexican Telecaster. If you want a GREAT guitar that can do metal, well, pick out a decent Ibanez. Don't judge them on appearance. Get someone who knows guitars to go with you and test out guitar models, or you risk getting screwed over.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
I didn't pick those guitars cuz they looked cool (though they do look cool), I picked them cuz they're in my price range, and on sale. And although I didn't flat out say it in my post, yeah, most of the music I'll be playing, or attempting to play once my skill is up there, is mostly metal. Personally I find the Jackson RR's to be 'the most kickass looking' guitars out there. But right now I want something where i can easly move around the frets, and neck. And if possible, strings closer to the frets, my current guitar the strings are so far away from the neck i have to push down maybe half and inch, it sucks.

I'm still looking, and I won't be buying any guitars anytime soon, I'll probably start doing some serious 'browsing' once I move into my new apartment and am settled down. But definitely keep coming with the guitars, by all means. Just don't show me 1,500 dollar guitars, that's useless in this thread.

Also, 500 is 'my' limit. I can afford more, but I don't want to. If there is a guitar out there that's 50-100 more but is just vastly superior to any other guitar out there for that price and the 500 dollar prices or less, then I'll consider it.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Get a used MIM Strat for 250-300 over @ ebay. Nothing can beat that pup at its price range.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Telecaster is better suited for metal, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom