Spore is out!

Death from Above
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Being outside of America Spore is already out here.

And I say it's pretty damn good.

I only have a few issues with gameplay but nothing I'd tell other people not to buy it over.

Only upto Civ stage so far But I think Creature stage has been the most fun so far closely followed by cell.

High level of replayability and it's cool seeing other things you made running around and killing them

Unless they are Epic creatures which are about 100x bigger then you

Also there are Achievements

Best answers
wait until you reach space stage, the amount of things you can possibly do is just insane.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Without spoiling it, I just got to the "ending" (Yeah, it does have a plot) of the space stage and all I'm going to say is that it wasn't what I was expecting.

Space is my favorite stage, followed by Civ, followed by Cell. I kind of hated the creature stage, and tribe stage I didn't like either.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm up to the tribal stage, so far I love every bit of it. A tiny bit repetitive but still amazing fun.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
After playing the space stage for a while, it feels like the first 5 stages are a tutorial for the space stage.

Dudemeister
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I find it annoying when i accidentally beam citizens or other stuff along with loot from destroyed ships. And the fact that i got the option to buy a system before i even got 500k money. I'm thinking of restarting from the cell stage and pick a omnivore creature, because it's damn fun to play this game.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Two cool graphical settings for spore

CTRL+SHIFT+C > "styleFilter -oilPaint"

CTRL+SHIFT+C > "styleFilter -filmNoir"

CTRL+SHIFT+C > "stylefilter -none" to turn it off.

Last edited:
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I've heard much gabble about EA losing some money because people pirated the game when it was leaked 3 days before the official NA release.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I pirated Spore. I got to play it three or four days early, as well as without any problems (EA requires people who bought the game to connect to their servers on the first install for verification. The servers weren't responding for some of the people who bought the game)

I'm still buying it tomorrow, day one. Not every copy pirated is a lost sale.

edit:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5yqBbg0Pa04&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5yqBbg0Pa04&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

On a related note, Dune is in the game too. Brilliant.

Last edited:

G
Man I hope Space Stage gets better, it's really annoying starting out. Here's my thoughts: (Not actually spoilers, just long wall of text.)

Cell Stage was good fun, very imaginative gameplay, and it's the only stage where the placement of your weapons actually matters. You need to turn on your side and whatnot to attack or eat or whatever you need to do. Where as later on you just click to attack or whatever and your creature will work out what to do.

Oh, and its worth noting I've played up to early Space Stage with two different races; A super-evil nazi militarist regime and a super-happy pacifist herbivore race. Interestingly, it's easier at first to just be a evil carnivore and kill everything but around the tribal stage all the way through to the space stage being a war warmongering bastard becomes really hard.

Creature stage plays out like World Of Warcraft. That doesn't mean you grind constantly, just that the controls are similar (Especially combat) and that you spend long amounts of time walking from point A to point B. But, there aren't any epic mounts. Anywho, this stage is great fun for both parties. As a herbivore I ran round eating fruit and making tons of friends that would come on long adventures with me. As a carnivore I only grouped up with my own race and made extinct all other races, with my big stabby claws. I even killed children and ate eggs, it's pretty messed up. Anyway, nothing shocking really, plays just as expected.

Tribal stage is pretty frustrating. It's an extremely shallow small-scale RTS, but the distances you travel to either convert or burn down enemy villiages is very long so if you so much as leave your base for 1 minute you have tons of little critters stealing your food and burning down your huts. It's not that much of a big deal though, it's very positive and fun to play peacefully and give every gifts and make friends through dance. Killing everyone is considerably harder, and you may end up relying on luck. Oh hey the green tribe was entirely wiped out by an epic monster, good chance to go raid their hut..

Civilization stage plays nothing like Civilization. There's no scientific discoveries, no transports (which makes ground vehicles pretty much useful) and the most disappointing thing about the shallow gameplay is that you can only have 3 vehicles. One air, one ground and one water. You can build multiple ones of course, but there are only three units to build. You make it in your lil' unit builder and that's it, thats the unit you have. If you design another one, all the units of that type automatically change to the new unit. Who wants to play an RTS with 3 different units? There's very little difference between being peaceful and warring here, the military path has to blow cities up and build up from their ruins whereas the religious units convert the city and get to keep all the buildings. In fact, it's a lot easier as a "religious" nation and plays the same way really. You just have speakers in stead of guns. And these speakers can blow up tanks. Anyway, you play through Civ Stage with your 3 units and win pretty easily, nothing amazing, nothing deep, very mundane. In fact, it's the only 3D RTS I know of that's shallower than Empire At War. Also, it would've been far better and more tactical if it was turn based. So, forget this dull stage and onto the space stage.

Space stage is frustrating. That's an accurate description. The original view of the space stage Will Wright presented us with in 2005 was that it would be a relaxing wander through space looking for small, rare civilizations and pretty stars... But it's nothing like that. The moment you escape your planet you're surrounded by competitive aliens with huge empires hundreds of times stronger than you. This makes it really difficult to start off. When I was playing as a military race, I attacked and pissed off the first race I met. it turns out, when you're on the map screen you can see where other races empires stretch over, but only if they're either your ally or your enemy. Since he just became my enemy, I was able to realise my home planet was right in the middle of this alien's territory. Before long it was impossible for me to leave my solar system without incurring massive damage, which you can't fix without heading home. And my home planet was under attack every 5 minutes.
Okay, so it's much more fun as a peaceful nation. I got to fly around in my lil' ball space ship making friends with alien races, forming strong alliances and trade routes. Well, it turns out those "alliances" are worth ****. See, I had this nifty little planet I'd set up a colony on. My first colony! It was growing well and I'd become pretty attached to it, since all my income came from it and the guy on the planet would always give me a warm greeting when I turned up to pick up some materials or whatever. Anywho, all my trade went through this outpost. One day I'm happily scooting around the galaxy doing some munial tasks for my stupid allies and two different races at the exact same time contact me- they both tell me to give them hundreds of thousands of monies or they'll destroy me.
Now, I haven't got this money. Never at ANY point in the game have I EVER had this ammount of money, not at any one time. There was nothing I could do to stop them, so they declared war on me. Suddenly, giant red rings appear round my solar system and I realise once again my home planet and my friendly lil' colony are inside their territory. Within a minute they're attacking my awesome colony, so I rushed over there to protect it! I even talked to my allies to see if I could get help and all I could get was one small, weak ship to join me. Oh well, I head over there to face them off and I'm met by three ships of equal size but far more power than mine. I get slaughtered and my friendly lil' colony is destroyed. I come back to life to find I once again can't leave my solar system without being attacked. There's absolutely nothing I can do to get my colony back because my enemies are just too strong and I'm no longer getting any income since that colony controlled all my trade routes.
So, I would describe space stage as at best annoying, and at worst perhaps even stressful. Which is the complete opposite of what a game SHOULD be, obviously.

Overall, it's a disappointment. The whole game should've been a lot better and deeper, but it was dumbed down and cut apart for the casual audience.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That's a pretty accurate description of the early space stage Fort. It's sad because the space stage does get enjoyable, but only once you get out of the woods and get into the mid / late space game. Considering that this is the most common complaint, I'm hoping for a patch that addresses the problems.

But yeah, once you get enough momentum, space does become enjoyable. In my game right now, I'm at the point where I don't have to worry that much about babysitting my worlds since I have turrets and defensive satellites to deal with any pirates or invaders. I can be on the other side of the galaxy and not care if one of my worlds was being invaded. Keep in mind I'm playing in easy, though, it might be a different story for hard.

Last edited:
Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
All talk of pirating ends here and now. Regardless if it led you to buy the game.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Is EA still doing their stupid little "3 installs then renew" DRM crap? Or did they cancel that?

L

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fqmxNKbe3xI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fqmxNKbe3xI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

My Batdragon creature owning others, until an epic creature comes along.. :[

The game is pretty entertaining the first play through but I dislike the fact that all you work up for is pretty much lost as you 'upgrade' into a new era.
This is my second creature design and I know once I go to the tribal era, the upgrades I've gotten will be mostly aesthetic and no longer 'truly' matter due to the mechanics for the rest of the game.

Last edited:
Death from Above
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Creature stats help in tribal with atleast combat

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
If I may ask. Spore, is that a single player game or multiplayer? While I see the video above me (second post above me), it looks like a single player. It does looks like an interesting game though. Might take a look at the features later on of this game.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Spore is a single player game with internet interaction. Wright termed it as a "massively single player online game," which accurately describes how it works out. The play experience is strictly single player from everything I'm lead to understand, but as you develop your species that information is sent out onto the internet and is broadcast into other players' single player games to act as a seperate species from their own somewhere on their planet. That species is identified as your own, but develops on its own from the point that it was broadcast into their game, and you can track its development and evolution from your spore account game page.

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
That sounds quite sweet. How much is this game? And, is it really fun to play? Like, not getting bored fast?

Dudemeister
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The game is about 50 bucks and, from my experience, it's worth it. I started 3 games so far and i had fun replaying it. Also the space stage isn't as bad as one might think. It get's more interesting after a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom