Something to learn from...

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If there is some game that the ESF team could learn something from is from the PARANOIA team, man those graphics don´t really seem from hl1 engine and yet, the engine doesn´t slow a bit. you should try it out, the last release is from 10 january 2008 and its shining ;)
Ever heard of MechMod?

http://img67.imageshack.us/img67/5941/mechorb0000ql0.jpg
http://img67.imageshack.us/img67/5039/mechearth0001gv8.jpg
http://img472.imageshack.us/img472/2777/mechearth0000ef5.jpg

The Brain Freezer
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
yes, it has fancy water and nice details on the grund...and thats it...the maps look like big sqares, esf 1.3 has much better maps without fancy water. I refered paranoia because it is super detailed everywere, has those terrains out of the map that esf introduced now but, better looking, has great sound and music, have you seen the blood jumping out of the enemy??? the flash light..it contours every solid walls. the smoke gas effects are awesome but those are the only things that may slow just a little bit the game (not in my case), thats why gas mask is used only twice in the game :D.

ESF Head Team Mapper
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🍂 Regular
Best answers
yeah right, and specular/bumpmapping fits perfectly well into ESF....
Besides, you can't really compare esf to paranoia maps (indoor, small outdoors/totally open outdoor)
No big deal to add more details if you don't have to render almost the whole map at once.

The Brain Freezer
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I know, its diferent kinds of games, but i didnt say these things could be used in esf, i just said that, if there was a team, the esf team could learn from, is from the paranoia team, because they made the best single-player fps from hl1.

Back from the shadows
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
yes, it has fancy water and nice details on the grund...and thats it...the maps look like big sqares, esf 1.3 has much better maps without fancy water. I refered paranoia because it is super detailed everywere, has those terrains out of the map that esf introduced now but, better looking, has great sound and music, have you seen the blood jumping out of the enemy??? the flash light..it contours every solid walls. the smoke gas effects are awesome but those are the only things that may slow just a little bit the game (not in my case), thats why gas mask is used only twice in the game :D.
would u like some HDR effects along with it XD

just kidding :pP

PARANOIA pushes the Goldsource engine to its limits, but the graphics look incredible... actually being worthy enough to be compared to medal of honor (the first one). But as said before, imagine putting that kind of quality into such huge maps, where lag is a big issue... it would completely tear apart gameplay and stability. I dont know how they managed to make bump-mapping effects into the maps, but ESF would excell (eyecandy-wise) from particle effects rather than nice-looking maps... and unfortunately goldsource is not a powerful particle renderer... what really slowed down my comp was the transformations used in ECX... nice eyecandy but my comp ran at least at 5fps.

and dj-ready.. are u into the naked japanese animation thingy?
just a random question... XD

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
would u like some HDR effects along with it XD

just kidding :pP

PARANOIA pushes the Goldsource engine to its limits, but the graphics look incredible... actually being worthy enough to be compared to medal of honor (the first one). But as said before, imagine putting that kind of quality into such huge maps, where lag is a big issue... it would completely tear apart gameplay and stability. I dont know how they managed to make bump-mapping effects into the maps, but ESF would excell (eyecandy-wise) from particle effects rather than nice-looking maps... and unfortunately goldsource is not a powerful particle renderer... what really slowed down my comp was the transformations used in ECX... nice eyecandy but my comp ran at least at 5fps.
Well the thing is. The maps in ESF are wide open. So they would all be rendered fully all the time. The maps in paranoia are closed. So all that needs rendering are the few walls you see at a certain moment.

and dj-ready.. are u into the naked japanese animation thingy?
just a random question... XD

HAHAHAHAHA that just made my day XD

The Brain Freezer
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ok I understand now that there are no miracles, at least on this engine. :s

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
wow, they sure did take advantage of HL2s engine with those awesome maps and character models.

Sarcasm

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sure ESF was made on the GoldSource engine, and it doesn't have any fancy addons like bumpmaps and such. But ESF actually manages to take a mod's gameplay, where no mod has gone before. It actually works. That, and I have yet to see any HL2 mod rival DarkTooth's sexy animations, DB:S is made for the Source engine, but the only advantage that will give them is that it can look better, but it doesn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom