Something from afar.

Best answers
heh.... bfp was my first mod too, i loved it, i only still am a n00b in bfp so and then i saw esf, i played it and i liked it very much, i still have bfp1.2 and i still like it, maybe i'll make some maps and models when i learned it :)

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SCIxX said:
Yeah, when ESF still sucked (like pre alpha stages, no models etc.) BFP already had a really nice game going on, I played it alot. Unfortunatly they ran into legal problems and had to erase all the Dragonball Z ****, I wonder why they were having legility problems and ESF hasn't...
From what I understand, BFPs team asked Funi for permission . . . permission denied. ESF tried to contact them once, but the email went unanswered. Perhaps they never viewed us as a threat to such wonderful things as Budokai . . .

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If they were smart, they would buy ESF, not shut it down...but that's for another thread entirely.

Sound Artist
Best answers
Bid for power was the first decent Dragonball Z themed mod. I used to play the Rc's for hours upon hours, even before the "beams" had hit detection, and were merely rockets with colored trails. It was a great game for it's time, however severely lacked in replay value. The team probably would have made it even better but dropped the DragonballZ theme for whatever reason. I mean, come on. I'm not the only one who used to watched the Planet Namek review movies over and over... am i?

Sound Artist
Best answers
Cucumba said:
From what I understand, BFPs team asked Funi for permission . . . permission denied. ESF tried to contact them once, but the email went unanswered. Perhaps they never viewed us as a threat to such wonderful things as Budokai . . .
Hmm.. some of the members told me the team leader got cold feet and decided to drop the whole DBZ thing altogether and used a Funimation threat to cover it up. I still don't think Funimation cares, at all about any Dragonball Z mod unless it's stealing money from the company. They probably don't even know about most of the mods out today. Even if it is true that Funimation sent a letter, it's probably because it seemed like BFP was making money off the concept, since it appeared on CD in magazines and they made boxart.

★ Black Lounger ★
🌟 Senior Member
Best answers
i started playing BFP on RC2... i found it on the old ezboard Freedoms forums.. that where the good days (not that i fully liked bfp.. i played it for just a few hours)

Sound Artist
Best answers
ChesterHQ said:
i started playing BFP on RC2... i found it on the old ezboard Freedoms forums.. that where the good days (not that i fully liked bfp.. i played it for just a few hours)
Yeah, i'm going to have to remake that forum one of these days...

Best answers
does anyone remember a DBZ mod for Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2? It was called DBZ: The Destruction is Real. I thought it was kind of a stupid name, but it was a cool mod. I got my hands on the beta version that was leaked, and it was ALOT better then the ****ty final one. Damn, wish I still had it

Best answers
Heh, it seems kind of funny to think about it now. But in all honesty I started with ESF and DMZ, and if I remeber correctly I saw an ad for BFP on DMZ's site. From there I went on to check it out and was floored by how cool it looked. As a matter of fact it looked so cool that I actually went out and bought Quake 3 just to play it. I won't say that I regret doing that, but by the time I got my hands on a copy of BFP(This was months after I first heard of it) it had all of the origanal "Cool" taken out of it and played like one of the ESF alphas. I never played any of the leaks, just the final version of it(I think it was final, I never thought about it again till now) Anyway, I'm off to go see if I can look up any info on it.

*Edit* Ok I'm back and in case was wonderig what happened here is what I found, BFP is dead(Obviously) Its site, hosted on quakeplanet has virtually nothing in it 'cept the forums. As for what the team is doing.... http://www.unoverse.com/bidforpower2/ thats the website to their new standalone game based on BFP *Edit* :scared:

Best answers
Drake_Kurthem said:
Heh, it seems kind of funny to think about it now. But in all honesty I started with ESF and DMZ, and if I remeber correctly I saw an ad for BFP on DMZ's site. From there I went on to check it out and was floored by how cool it looked. As a matter of fact it looked so cool that I actually went out and bought Quake 3 just to play it. I won't say that I regret doing that, but by the time I got my hands on a copy of BFP(This was months after I first heard of it) it had all of the origanal "Cool" taken out of it and played like one of the ESF alphas. I never played any of the leaks, just the final version of it(I think it was final, I never thought about it again till now) Anyway, I'm off to go see if I can look up any info on it.

*Edit* Ok I'm back and in case was wonderig what happened here is what I found, BFP is dead(Obviously) Its site, hosted on quakeplanet has virtually nothing in it 'cept the forums. As for what the team is doing.... http://www.unoverse.com/bidforpower2/ thats the website to their new standalone game based on BFP *Edit* :scared:
Rodney and some of the old team have restarted the project but they are having alot of problems getting anything really done due to lack of popularity and knowledge of the mod.

ESF Head Team Mapper
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🍂 Regular
Best answers
FreeDoM said:
I still don't think Funimation cares, at all about any Dragonball Z mod unless it's stealing money from the company.
even though therea are quit good official dbz themed games out there, i wouldnt buy any of them.
and im 100% sure that funimation knows about ESF! .... its one of the biggest hl mods out there and that guys are not that dumb to not know about it :p ... pretty obvious eh...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom