some tips for fps

K

Best answers
Hey guys wats up ive been wonderin if u guys had some tips for me so i could improve my fps i already read all the stickies and well it didnt help much so u know could u guys maybe help me out in gettin a higher fps these are my system stats:intel celleron proccesor~400mhz,windows me,128mb ram and a geforce2 mx400.i dont really wanna add more ram so i dunno i thought i should tell u that anywayz here are the cvars im usin feel free to use them lol o yeh and i also have the latest drivers for my vid card i think well the drivers r 44.03

CVARS

groovy
r_mmx "1"
Default - already there

r_dynamic "0"
Default - already there

sv_cheats "0"
Default - already there

fps_max "100"
Tells ESF my maximum framerate allowed ingame is 100fps. It will not go higher, so don't try. I recommend everyone set this, as I don't know why it isn't in the file in the first place...(there is a setting in the CONFIG.CFG file in the ESF folder that tells the game to max at it's default of 72...which sucks cause...if you are at 70 and lose 40 fps, you're in the dumps...if you're at 100 and you lose 40, it's not as much of a horrible loss visually)

gl_texturemode "GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR"
This is one of four possible settings telling half-life how to render its textures. THe four settings are really variations of that one, but this is the highest setting. Think of it like this: of the four settings, two are for low and high quality bilinear filtering, and two are for low and high quality TRIlinear filtering. I'll try to find the commands again, I think I found them off of a website called "i.am.halflife" or something like that, if it helps.

gl_max_size "512"
This is the texture cache. I jacked it up to 512. I had it up at 1024 before but it didn't seem to help any, so I lowered it a bit and called it even. It's default, I believe, is 256.

cl_showfps "1"
A better way to view your framerate than using the net graph. It's much less intrusive (upper right corner) and is slightly less accurate, but doesn't adversely affect performance as much on low end machines.

net_graph "0"
This turns off the bigger wave version that shows the actual net performance in the form of a moving graph in the bottom right corner.

r_displayrefresh "100"
Tells Half-Life to force my 100hz refresh rate. THis is kind of redundant since RefreshLock forces it anyway, but I wanted to be certain, and non-XP people may be able to use this command as well.

vid_wait "1"
This is SUPPOSED to turn on Vsync. I want this because my Vsync would sync me in at 100fps max...which is the engine's max anyway, so I wouldn't be missing out. I get refresh rate tearing, which is why I set this...but as yet, it has made no difference either way. Maybe there is a setting in the CONFIG.CFG file that is overriding this one?

cl_rate "7000"
This is a customized data rate between half-life's DSL and T1/Lan settings. This works well for my cable modem; when I find the guide I used to learn all of this, I will post good settings for various connections. It should also be known that some people in TFC would bind various rates to keys, and use them to compensate for lag.

precache "1"
This tells the game to pre-cache all the textures. A longer wait for the level to load, but performance overall improves.

ati_npatch "0"
This weird thing...just seems to make ATI cards suddenly smoke and work massively better in half-life. I HIGHLY recommend using this setting for ATI card users, since it was the BIG difference maker in my game when I first discovered it (Note: there are a few similar looking settings in the CONFIG.CFG file as well, maybe they work in conjunction?)

cl_dusttrails "0"
Disables melee swoop dust trails, greatly increases performance

cl_fxquality controls the particle systems:
cl_fxquality "0"
Off (what you're set on right now)
cl_fxquality "1"
Low quality (Low particle count, low detailed models for effects)
cl_fxquality "2"
Medium quality (Medium particle count, low/high detailed models for effects, depends...)
cl_fxquality "3"
High quality (High particle count, double auras, high detailed spheres, etc...)

Customizable Options:
Ingame, go to MULTIPLAYER > CUSTOMIZE > ADVANCED. Here, turn all the graphics quality to the least possible, turn beams to crappy, fx quality to low, turn of 3D dust particles, etc. This won't affect the in-game quality that much (still looks good), but it will definetly bring about a great improvement to performance/fps.

satan
bgmbuffer "0"
bgmvolume "0.000000"
bitmapfonts "1"
cl_3drocks "0"
cl_allowdownload "1"
cl_allowupload "1"
cl_backspeed "5000"
cl_beamquality "0"
cl_cmdrate "55"
cl_download_ingame "1"
cl_drawnames "1"
cl_dusttrails "0"
cl_dusttrailslbl "0.000000"
cl_forwardspeed "5000"
cl_fxquality "3"
cl_gaitestimation "1"
cl_gg "0"
cl_himodels "1.000000"
cl_latency "-50"
cl_lc "1"
cl_lw "1"
cl_nopred "0"
cl_rate "11000.0528"
cl_resend "6"
cl_sidespeed "5000"
cl_updaterate "55"
cl_upspeed "5000"
con_color "0 255 0"
console "1"
fakelag "0"
fakeloss "0"
fps_max "120"
gl_clear "0"
gl_cull "1"
gl_dither "0"
gl_keeptjunctions "1"
gl_lightholes "0"
gl_max_size "256"
gl_picmip "0"
gl_spriteblend "0"
gl_texturemode "GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR"
gl_wateramp "0"
gl_ztrick "0"
hisound "1"
hpk_maxsize "1"
hud_centerid "1"
hud_classautokill "0"
hud_deathnotice_time "6"
hud_saytext_time "6"
loadas8bit "0"
m_filter "1"
mp_decals "400"
precache "1"
r_decals "400"
r_dynamic "0"
r_mirroralpha "0"
r_drawviewmodel "1"
r_mmx "1"
rate "7500"
scr_conspeed "100000"
suitvolume "0.000000"
mp3volume "0.000000"
sv_aim "0.000000"
sv_cheats "0"
sv_voiceenable "0"
s_a3d "0"
s_eax "0"
s_reverb "0"
violence_ablood "1"
violence_agibs "1"
violence_hblood "1"
violence_hgibs "1"
voice_avggain "0.000000"
voice_clientdebug "0"
voice_dsound "0"
voice_eax "0"
voice_enable "0"
voice_fadeouttime "0.000"
voice_inputfromfile "0"
voice_loopback "0"
voice_maxgain "0"
voice_modenable "0"
voice_overdrive "0"
voice_overdrivefadetime "0.000"
voice_profile "0"
voice_recordtofile "0"
voice_scale "0"
voice_serverdebug "0"
voice_showchannels "0"
voice_showincoming "0"
volume "1.000000"

Best answers
Get half life booster that boostes fps i forgot the URL but just go to google and search it its called half-life Booster

Best answers
thnxs for the help and time and the typeing u did helped alot with crapy comp ;D

K

Best answers
does this work for mods as well and could u please give me a link

K

Best answers
can anyone help and i think u need admin mod or somethin anyway can someone tell me about this booster and could someone provide a link if not ill look for it but i just need the info on this booster ,please help

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I do not know but use the edit button.
I don't know anything about the booster thingy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom