💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Current Specs:

Mainboard: Gigabyte 8ipe1000P
Chipset: Intel i865G
Processor: Pentium 4 @ 2666 mhz
Video Card: All in Wonder x800 something or another
Physical Memory: 1280 mb

This rig (the one you put together in your post) will be used primarily for gaming, since I'm mostly going to be playing City of Heroes/Villains, but I'd like to be able to play newer games on fairly high settings as well. I don't need Vista, I don't need a monitor or any other peripherals. If you can, make two lists, one of which is as if money is not an option (if it seems viable, I'll just keep saving up) and the other where $900 is my budget. If it's too much work to make two lists, just go for the "900 is my budget" list. I don't mind using onboard sound (since that's what I've always used), so I don't think a sound card is necessary. Include it if you believe It'll bring about a significant improvement in the system's performance.

If I don't respond immediately, my apologies. I haven't had much time to browse the net recently, but I'll try to respond with praises and thanks' asap.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Personally, I'd recommend waiting for around a month for the mid-ranged G80s to come out. They may turn out to be really good.
Did they ever come out and how does an x1950 Pro measure up against a 7950 (if there's a version of the x1950 Pro that surpasses the 7950, please link me to it. If there's a newer version of the 7950 or something along those lines that's better than the one you linked, please link it).

Best answers
The 7950GT will do better than the X1950Pro in a lot of cases. The 8600GT/GTS (mid-ranged G80s) hasn't been released yet, but apparently it's besting the 7950GT in 3dmark06.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I was going for the "ABIT IB9 LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard", but I noticed the reviews on newegg were pretty negative. Is there another mobo I should use or should I disregard the reviews?

So far, the grand total is $850, so that's pretty good. If I should, in fact, choose another motherboard, and it's a little more expensive, (meaning the total exceeds 900), I'll pull some funds out of somewhere.

Thanks for all the help thus far.

EDIT: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16814130038

I'm considering buying that, but not without your blessing.

Best answers
I'm not a huge fan of the 965 motherboard atm, but I still recommend them sometimes on a budget basis. If the ABIT is worrying you, go with this instead. As for the 8800GTS, you could go with that slightly overclocked version, or you could go with the stock 8800GTS from eVGA for (potentially) $50 less, after a $20 mail-in-rebate (Click Here). It's your choice entirely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom