*sniff sniff* what's burning?!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I always wanted a paradise island map, like in ALWAYS, like a jungle terrainish type of thing with a volcano in the middle and the sea around...sooo....I decided to make one myself! :O
How does it look you ask? hmm, Click HERE, HERE and HERE, C & C is welcome and ideas too!

This is still a WIP though, I think I might add more palm trees to give it a more Jungly feel, but I'm afraid of the Hl1 limits...:( can some expert here please tell me what my model limit is for these maps before some bad stuff starts to happen?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I will, the stupid perv(MSN) gives me an error every time I want to sign up, I HATE YOU(MSN)! I'm gonna try a different internet connection, hopefully msn will work on that.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You should show pictures of the volcano; if it's an island you should make it more round and surround it with water.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
LOL, that's what I wanted to do, but then I have to replace ALL the textures, will take about a half an hour or so, lol, but don't worry, I'm gonna do that, at the end of the map and corners are parts of a beach texture, I'm just gonna make a small beache around that part, I hope it works out, wish me luck.

Oh and about showing the volcano....errrrr, I'm testing the map with WON and 1.2.3 and they aren't the best of buddies, in other words, sprites aren't seen correctly, the black part is SUPPOSED to be invisible, but with WON it isn't, but I'm gonna give you pics of my steam version too, but then it's in software mode,I've got onboard graphics, lol.

lbb

Best answers
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will, the stupid perv(MSN) gives me an error every time I want to sign up, I HATE YOU(MSN)! I'm gonna try a different internet connection, hopefully msn will work on that.
try SKYPE you can download it at this site www.skype.com

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Looking good there.
Could you make it a little Lagoon like ?
With not so deep water on the Beach so you can walk in it and alos add a house with an bridge in the water.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
looks freakn awesome, seems like you did a very well job, just the skybox is botherin me >_<

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Errr....good idea ssjgoku83, but not for this map, I might use it for another one. oh the skybox is bothering you? hmm....I have no other one, the skyboxes I use always sucks, meh, maybe I should learn how to make my own ones? Well I'm having a small problem with my map atm, I added something new, but my map lags for some reason, I think my epoly is a bit too high, my wpoly max is about 1600.

I wanted to say something else, but I forgot, will do any next post...

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
donnierisk said:
Errr....good idea ssjgoku83, but not for this map, I might use it for another one. oh the skybox is bothering you? hmm....I have no other one, the skyboxes I use always sucks, meh, maybe I should learn how to make my own ones? Well I'm having a small problem with my map atm, I added something new, but my map lags for some reason, I think my epoly is a bit too high, my wpoly max is about 1600.

I wanted to say something else, but I forgot, will do any next post...
http://wadfather.planethalflife.gamespy.com/new/

There are a lot (A LOT) of custom textures and skyboxes on that site.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
donnierisk said:
Well I'm having a small problem with my map atm, I added something new, but my map lags for some reason, I think my epoly is a bit too high, my wpoly max is about 1600.
What's your epoly at? A wpoly count of 1600 is a bit high, but it shouldn't cause big problems on a relatively good computer. You'll want to have it less than that for a release, but it's probably not what's causing your problem right now. I can see lighting working properly in your screenshots, so it's not a leak. o_O

Your budget with epoly is much broader, but you still have to be careful not to overdo it. For reference, remember that a player model is about 1500 (right? I can't check on this computer) polies. So if you're getting 3000 epoly, it's about equivalent to having two additional players being rendered on your screen.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Errr....I'm way over the epoly limit 6000 XD. Should I reduce the amount of models or something, I don't know what to do? I have 4 good spawn points, 4 evil and I think about 6 player starts, 1 light and 1 light environment and I have quite a few models. So I don't know what to do now.

Oh and Each triangle I have, has the null texture UNDER it, but not on the sides ofit, everytime I apply a texture to the top face and cut the map up into the triangles the side parts of the triangles go to that texture, why? please someone help me, I'm sure that would also reduce lag, etc.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The volcano reminds me of the top of Nihilanth's head =P

Nice map, i'll give it a try. You picked this up pretty fast.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
is the valcano lava like water? (you can go in)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
THX ^^, wel here's a link to hl2files.com(just for you Skyrider):

http://halflife2.filefront.com/file/donnierisk_esfvolcanoisland;63925

ALSO NOTE:
That texture I used for the map is only 4 blocks, lol, I was too lazy for 16, that happens when someone is lazy, but it still looks good!

Oh and mf29, it's lava, it isn't cold, so yeah, it burns, alot, just don't try to go in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom