"Rubot"?!

Best answers
I'm sorry, but I don't have a Rubik's cube, so I fail to see how that robot is making myself and the general population lazier.
Am I speaking Chinese? The Rubik's Cube is an EXAMPLE OF HOW MANKIND IS GONNA GET EVEN LAZIER THAN IT ALREADY IS!!

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
No it isn't, because, unless we're all solving rubiks cubes in an attempt to walk to the store, we aren't affected. The clip was a demonstration of the robot's abilities and how far we've come along in the field of robotics.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Why do you guys try to find a deep meaning in that vid? Just some bored guy made a robot whoopseedoo, that dosn't show us anything :p

Our current tech can do a helluva lot more.

jp

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Am I speaking Chinese? The Rubik's Cube is an EXAMPLE OF HOW MANKIND IS GONNA GET EVEN LAZIER THAN IT ALREADY IS!!
Never knew a rubik's cube is an example of how lazy we will get.

Best answers
Never knew a rubik's cube is an example of how lazy we will get.
Oh. My. GODD!!! What ... what is.......? x.x
K this forum is driving me crazy...

I meant about the example of a ROBOT actually solving a RUBIK'S CUBE means LAZYNESS!

Sigh.. ok...

A simple example for the DUMMIES:

Rubik's Cube + Robot or rubot or whatever solving it = LAZYNESS

Rubik's Cube + Man actually solving it = ACTUAL THINKING WITHOUT THE NEED OF A MACHINE DOING IT FOR US!!!

Is that SO complicated?!

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Oh. My. GODD!!! What ... what is.......? x.x
K this forum is driving me crazy...

I meant about the example of a ROBOT actually solving a RUBIK'S CUBE means LAZYNESS!

Sigh.. ok...

A simple example for the DUMMIES:

Rubik's Cube + Robot or rubot or whatever solving it = LAZYNESS

Rubik's Cube + Man actually solving it = ACTUAL THINKING WITHOUT THE NEED OF A MACHINE DOING IT FOR US!!!

Is that SO complicated?!
The robot isn't solving it for a person. The robot is solving it to prove that it can. It shows that it is doing exactly as it was programmed to do. If some guy came out of nowhere and was like, "Oh gee gosh golly darn, Dan. I can't solve this Rubick's cube! I know! I'll use a robot!", then your arguement might have some merit.

However, that just isn't the case. Insulting everyone by calling them/us dummies doesn't make your arguement valid. It just proves that you can't see beyond your ego.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You. Just. Don't. Get. It.

The guy did not make a robot to solve Rubik's cubes for him. He made a robot to show that he could, because he wanted to. Not so that he could have something to solve all his Rubik's cubes for him. Otherwise he wouldn't have made it look like what we think a robot should look like. He wouldn't have bothered with speech software, or programed the lights on the mouth. He wouldn't have named it and video taped his son demonstrating it. If he was making the robot to solve his Rubik's cubes, it would be two arms and a camera. This is clearly much more than two arms and a camera.

Actually, you know what? I think you are the lazy one. When was the last time you went out and made something... anything. Can you build a robot? I didn't think so. Rather than calling the guy lazy for demonstrating skills you do not have, take a step back and appreciate the knowledge demonstrated.

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What do you expect, to walk into a Best Buy and next to the digital cameras, you can buy a Rubot? You're the one who has missed the point.

This guy built and programmed a robot that can solve a Rubik's cube, and you're actually going to call him lazy?

When was the last time anyone even played with a Rubik's cube anyways? You're over thinking this way too hard.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
They have computers than can draw pictures. Yet I and millions of others still draw with our own hands. Just because we give a robot a human ability does not automatically signal that they will do that ability for us.

And as for robots/AI replacing certain human activities, there is a difference between efficiency and laziness....Usually...For instance. Cars. Instead of wasting time traveling on foot/horseback as some people did decades ago, we have developed a more efficient way of travel. Not as much exercise and does require maintenance, but screw a 20 minute walk to school every day.

Hell I'm still pissed it takes 2 hours to go from Pennsylvania to Florida. Dammit it should be 2 minutes by now >=(

Best answers
K didn't mean to snap like that, but tomorrow they'll be able to build and program something much more "intelligent" that's just gonna make mankind simple and dumb. While the three of you only see a youtube vid, I manage to see a threat to human's thinking capabilities and responsabilities.

And no, I'm not saying a rubot is a threat, I'm saying that a future technology capable of creating REAL TIME AI is a threat. This robot is an example that technology holds no limits and it will not stop until it gets out of control.

Some may think scientists will be ready for when or if something like that happens, but I don't believe so.

They have computers than can draw pictures. Yet I and millions of others still draw with our own hands. Just because we give a robot a human ability does not automatically signal that they will do that ability for us.

And as for robots/AI replacing certain human activities, there is a difference between efficiency and laziness....Usually...For instance. Cars. Instead of wasting time traveling on foot/horseback as some people did decades ago, we have developed a more efficient way of travel. Not as much exercise and does require maintenance, but screw a 20 minute walk to school every day.

Hell I'm still pissed it takes 2 hours to go from Pennsylvania to Florida. Dammit it should be 2 minutes by now >=(
You feel that way because your body is not used to the patience and the exercise other generations had.

Sure, it's good to spend less time to get from one point to another, but what about the physical activities that just faded away?

It's all a matter of getting used to things, something mankind has completely forgotten.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If we are the creators of these "intelligent" machines, why would be dumb? They would know the same things we do, only they would process/store much more at a much faster rate.

The only that comes to my mind at the moment is job loss if machines could do more complex work for instance (McDonald's would NEVER get their orders wrong =D, but if the service industry took a blow like that, there would be many jobs lost)

Best answers
I'm not talking about the creators, I'm talking about the USERS of these machines.

A person can study a robot's inside (like a person who knows about RAM, video cards, etc...) but perhaps he could never do the same as that machine does, because of lack of habbit.

We have the lack of habbit to run/walk far distances because of cars, we have the lack of habbit to read (at least as much as we used to) because of TV, etc.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Mankind isn't getting dumber. On the contrary, they're getting smarter. Too smart if you ask me. Like I said earlier, there should be a limit to things. And because we're getting smarter, we're also getting lazier. We invent things that do things for us, not for the mere challenge of making it (though that may be one of the cause), but so it does it instead of us.

Mankind will eventually lose its grip on the world, and just trust in the machines to do everything for us. If you ask me, that will completely disrupt the economy. We will begin to lose jobs because machines are replacing us, simply because they're more efficient. All we'll do is sit home and watch television or use the computer. Man will become less physically fit, and our health will become worse. Even if the machines aren't killing us directly, they will still be a cause. However, I do agree that even if this is true (and it very will may not be), it isn't going to be happening in our lifespan.

Of course, the Rubot isn't exactly that advance to begin with. Hell, it looks almost fake if you ask me. And it probably is.

And lastly, this is all just my opinion and beliefs, don't think any less of me (if you haven't already). People are entitled to their beliefs. Cheers!

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah matter of fact, take a look at what was manditory in highschool ten years ago. Now look it at it. I was learning stuff in 10th grade that was supposed to be learned in 12th grade during a previous time =/. College is practically manditory now too.

Best answers
Mankind isn't getting dumber. On the contrary, they're getting smarter. Too smart if you ask me. Like I said earlier, there should be a limit to things. And because we're getting smarter, we're also getting lazier. We invent things that do things for us, not for the mere challenge of making it (though that may be one of the cause), but so it does it instead of us.

Mankind will eventually lose its grip on the world, and just trust in the machines to do everything for us. If you ask me, that will completely disrupt the economy. We will begin to lose jobs because machines are replacing us, simply because they're more efficient. All we'll do is sit home and watch television or use the computer. Man will become less physically fit, and our health will become worse. Even if the machines aren't killing us directly, they will still be a cause. However, I do agree that even if this is true (and it very will may not be), it isn't going to be happening in our lifespan.

Of course, the Rubot isn't exactly that advance to begin with. Hell, it looks almost fake if you ask me. And it probably is.

And lastly, this is all just my opinion and beliefs, don't think any less of me (if you haven't already). People are entitled to their beliefs. Cheers!
Basiclly you just contradicted yourself, your saying that humans are getting smarter and therefore building more advanced stuff that does things for us. However your also saying that because of said creations that we are getting lazier, and if we are lazy we stop making the creations anyways because we're too lazy to think/create the robots (in this case rubot).

Best answers
Yeah, I mean, it's not an ordinary type of laziness... it's the kind of laziness where you're too damn lazy to think on your own.

Finally, someone understands me... I have the urge to kiss you but... for the sake of not being banned... I won't D:

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm not talking about the creators, I'm talking about the USERS of these machines.

A person can study a robot's inside (like a person who knows about RAM, video cards, etc...) but perhaps he could never do the same as that machine does, because of lack of habbit.

We have the lack of habbit to run/walk far distances because of cars, we have the lack of habbit to read (at least as much as we used to) because of TV, etc.
I go to school an hour and a half's drive away from where my parents live, am I lazy because I drive instead of walking 160 kilometres every time I want to go home for the weekend? But I never drive to class, because the walk is only about 10-15 minutes, and I like to conserve gas.

Not only that, but I've actually read MORE ever since I've been to University than I used to. I'm responsible for about 100-150 pages a week for one class alone, and I take five.

I really don't think that there is a very high demand for robotics right now, especially mass-produced, cost efficient robots. So you can probably rest your fears for a while, because I don't expect robot butlers any time soon.

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
Even if robots were mass produced, because of all the weird sci fi they'd have so many failsafes.

I think that's amazing that someone programmed that thing to figure out how to solve a rubik's cube, and at the speed it does, quite an accomplishment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom