Router help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Okay, I got my first router today, so I can use my old pc as a vent server. Problem is, is no one can get through the router, so how do i fix this?

Best answers
Well do you have any firewalls?? If so, you might want to forward the ports. Also, your router acts like a Firewall, therefore you must do the same thing and forward the ports to access that computer.

-GuZzie

Best answers
Lemme tell you right now, routers suck. I hate routers. Of course I have one.... But ever since I started using a router anytime I make a game/server no one can join.

Retired
Best answers
what model of router and brand?

usually this is all set in the main router page which is usually 192.168.0.1

with routers they need to know what ports are directed to what computers. example.

if you have 2 comps. one web server and what hl server.

the web server will need port 80 directed to it's ip while the other pc's ip will need port 27015 which is for an hl server.

usually in the router you have to specify the computers internal ip usually a 192.168.x.x ip, a port to link to and whether it is Tcp, UDP or Both

hope it helps

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What brand of router are you using?.
This link contains information on running ventrilo servers and may help you. Ventrilo servers by default use port 3784 TCP/UDP enabled.
Lemme tell you right now, routers suck. I hate routers. Of course I have one.... But ever since I started using a router anytime I make a game/server no one can join.
That's because you were lazy and didn't configure it properly =/. Very random comment...

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
http://portforward.com/

Go there, find your modem make, And learn how to Port forward.

Usually on most routers you goto:
Start
Run
Type: CMD
Type: ipconfig
copy down the I.P address of the default gateway.

Goto your web browser like internet explorer or Firefox
type the I.P address of the default gateway into the address bar and press enter. And your inside your modem. (Most need a user name and password, but again most use "admin".)
After that you will need the Port Forwards' website to guide you through the rest of it.

Also check your fire wall.

You see, all applications need to be told its allowed to use a port to access the internet, And for others to send information back to you. Without it, Your router/firewall blocks it. (Simple way of saying it).

Anyhow, Hope that helps!

I Personally love routers, If you know how to set them up, and get them working fine, they wont be much trouble.

Otherwise people hate them.
I have a 16 Port router, And then I connect my ADSL router to it, And all the other machines to the 16 port router. And managing it, isnt that difficult.
It was at first when I got the damn things, And started using broadband... As I had no idea what I was doing, but after trial and error managed to get everything to work.
Memba' If you change something in the router and it starts playing up, there is usually a reset button on the back of it.

Best answers
Pffff, yea right I didn't configure my router at all. My brother did. I'll ask him about it at some point though.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's a Linksys BEFSR41 ver 4.2

Yeah I found out via vents F.A.Q that I needed to forward the ports. I'm figuring out how to do that now (and getting no where fast) if the site Permalite gave me doesn't help, I'll be back with more questions for sure.

I need to figure out how to forward the port 3784

Okay permalite owns right now :D

now my question is, how do I know it works? And what ip address do I give them to get to my server? do I give them 192.168.1.1? or my computers IP address?

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's a Linksys BEFSR41 ver 4.2

Yeah I found out via vents F.A.Q that I needed to forward the ports. I'm figuring out how to do that now (and getting no where fast) if the site Permalite gave me doesn't help, I'll be back with more questions for sure.

I need to figure out how to forward the port 3784

Okay permalite owns right now :D

now my question is, how do I know it works? And what ip address do I give them to get to my server? do I give them 192.168.1.1? or my computers IP address?
Your router's ip by default is 192.168.1.1, so just go to your brower and type in "//192.168.1.1" without the quotation marks. default user and pass should be admin.

Best answers
|Overlord| said:
type in "\\192.168.1.1" without the quotation marks
That'll get you nowhere fast. Don't include the "\\".
Chris` said:
If you're playing over LAN through that router, then you give the ip address the router assigns your computer. If it's over the internet, then it's your internet (WAN) ip address.

Mr. Preacher
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
overlord make sure your wearing a strong pair of pants looks like smith wants to have a little fun with your fun hole!

LOL ~Smiff

*On topic*

Oh hell I don't know what this topics about I just wanted to post that!

Retired
Best answers
using the \\ attached to an ip in a browser does ****. the \\ it usually used for windows explorer or to map a drive.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I already know about the whole 192.168.1.1, it brings up my lynsis setup screen.

Now smith, what you said flew right over my head :p

Smiff said:
If you're playing over LAN through that router, then you give the ip address the router assigns your computer. If it's over the internet, then it's your internet (WAN) ip address
Okay, all I plan on doing really (for now) is hosting a Ventrilo server. I forwarded the ports like Perma said. Now, which IP do I give them? I plan on having people join that server via the internet so we can talk while playing WoW/ Guild Wars.

PS: I really...really want that Wonderbread girl...****.

And I love you have my baybeez.

And phobs, warning for spamming my thread!!! >:E

Retired
Best answers
after you forward the vent port to your pc with the vent server then you give everyone else your outside ip. how do you find your outside (public) ip? go to this link and it will tell you

http://www.ventrilo.com/myip.php

you give that ip to your users and your done

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
after you forward the vent port to your pc with the vent server then you give everyone else your outside ip. how do you find your outside (public) ip? go to this link and it will tell you

http://www.ventrilo.com/myip.php

you give that ip to your users and your done
Thank you ^_^

I appreciate all the help you guys have given me. Everyone's been awesome with helping me lately :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom