RES files?

Best answers
I have some maps that are RES files. What are RES files and how do I make it so I can open and play them in ESF????

Best answers
I don't think you can have maps like that. All maps on every mod has to be a .bsp

Best answers
Well they showed up in my maps folder, I think there from servers

Best answers
server resource files,they are in there for custom maps so when a guy comes by and doesn't have the map,his PC will read the .res file to check what files he needs to play and start DLing the stuff....

hope I cleared that up

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
they are used for no included maps (as Doodie said)
and I use them for Adminmod ... I want that everyone hears my sound on the server ... I have to include the wav file ... if anyone joins my server the res "says" the client what he needs to join ... if he hasn't these sounds, he starts to DL them (as Doodie said)
I hope everyone understand this now ;)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
indeed.. basicly it downloads crap. :D

Also I played on various HL servers where maps where edited.. ya know.. secret areas opened, weapons replaced by armor, w/e. I didn't like it... couldn't find anything.. lol.. (they should make a second tag next to favorite named Nonfave lol)

I think .res files also alow servers to edit the maps. Cause I played on changed maps without downloading them.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
lol no

RES stands for RESOURCE file. It's intended purpose is to make sure clients have ALL the files needed to play on the map (ex. my_map.wad or tcolor_rt.tga), most recently (not that recent but whatever) they have been used for custom server stuff (Like I have on my server ~ wavs)

To edit maps people use entity rippers which generate an ent file for a map that lists all the entity info inside which can be edited and more entities can be added (No solids can be added) then reimported into the .bsp.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
And now that it is answered, Ie Shalle Closethe Ite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom