Psychology 150

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
So I am taking a Psychology class which is required to be taken by all college students. I have questions I am supposed to get answers from multiple people of all ages. I figured this would be the best place to do it since there is a wide range from ages 10 - 45 here.

(1) Do you feel that it hurts a child to have the mother gone for many hours each day? Why or why not?
(2) Who should care for a child while the mother is working? Why?
(3) Assuming a mother does not have to work, do you feel that putting a child in day care is more beneficial than staying at home with the mother?

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
is your professor aware of the father role

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
(1) Do you feel that it hurts a child to have the mother gone for many hours each day? Why or why not?
Yes. I think it also hurts a child to have the father gone for many hours each day. The child needs to be exposed to conversation, needs to be talked to and be given attention. Both parents should play an important role in this.

Ideally a family member whose main focus is on caring for the child, rather than a capitalist business that has one person assigned to many children. Kind of self explanatory as to the why.

(3) Assuming a mother does not have to work, do you feel that putting a child in day care is more beneficial than staying at home with the mother?
How could anyone think that?

Dudemeister
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
1. It depends on the child's personality and the age. But, so some extent, yes, because it's the person a child spends the most time as an infant.
2. Under normal circumstances, the other parent should be taking care of the child. Else, it should be someone familiar.
3. Daycare is important for kids when they don't get to interact with other children on a day to day basis. It also gives the mother a timeout.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
My first question would be, how old is this child? But I guess it doesn't matter because I believe that anyone below the age of 15 should have their mother present.

Yes, but my perspective is very biased because my mother was very overprotective and therefore made a huge influence in my upbringing. Generally, without her, I wouldn't be the man I am today. She thought many important lessons and was the "go to" parent for most problems. Nonetheless, I think that this question depends on if the other parent is present. If at least one parent is present then it's okay, so I wouldn't know the differences between not having a mother or father figure. But yeah, I have a closer relationship with my mother as she was a stay at home mom until I was like 14 years old.

The other parent. If that is not possible then it should be a much older sibling or other family such as an aunt or an uncle, why I feel this way is because the influence these figures would have, should theoretically resemble what the mother would have. Strictly speaking about upbringing here, and not so much focus on emotional effects. But an older sister would be ideal from this perspective I guess.

There should totally be a mix between the two. As I said my mother was at home for the most part, but I still went to day care as a kid and I still remember my friends, my teachers and things I did there. Being too attached to ones mother for a long period as a child could really have some negative effects as you grow older. My mother was not afraid to let me go to day care, but she would always wave in the morning when I left, and welcome me back home in the afternoon. Therefore, I think that a child should definitely get the best of both worlds, nothing but positive in mixing the two.

Only go forward sideways
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
Without giving an indication of the child's age is kind of hard to answer.

I feel that after the child becomes of age to go kinder garden/elementary school/primary education it's OK for the parents to resume work. With younger ones, I don't think it's appropriate for the child to be left by both parents for many hours during the day as those are the years that usually define the foundation of your relationship with your parents for the future.

I am quite old school and of belief that the father should provide (work) while the mother should take care of the child. If however the roles are reversed, I see no problem in that. If both parents have to work that's when it becomes problematic if you don't have other relatives. Grandmas and Grandpas are generally brilliant with kids though so those would be my first choice.

How could anyone think that?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
No, mothers are overbearing enough as it is, they will get plenty of love when mama is actually home.

Any sane minded person who isn't a pedaphile or baby cannabalist and is probably over the age of, let's say 15. (That's seriously my answer.)

Yes, overbearing mothers will make the child hate and resent the mother when they are older. Believe me I know from experience.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It hurts a child if left alone. If there is a grandmother who can take care of the child while the parrents are at work, then that is a viable option, since its important to interact with the child.

A relative is a great choice. Grandparrents who are in retirement for example are usually perfect, since they take more time to interact with the child which also makes them feel better for being usefull.

This one is a toughie. On one side there is the issue of "the mother has time so she should care for the child" but on the other, and this may be a bigger factor in the childs future. Day care is where the child gets introduced in to society. Usually children who stay home untill its time for school have a tougher time fitting in with the rest of the kids and some never do, because they lack that early interaction experience. And thats something parrents just cant guarantee on their own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom