PS3 Price

Retired
Best answers
"According a an article published in the May 17th edition of Japan's Mainichi Shimbun, the PlayStation 3 could be one of the most expensive mass-market videogame consoles ever created. Officials from Sony apparently told the newspaper that PlayStation 3s would sell in Japan for "less than 50,000 yen each." That translates to about $465 US dollars. Sony unveiled its next-generation console at the Electronics Entertainment Expo 2005.

The beast of a machine utilizes the powerful Cell processor, a custom-designed graphics chip by Nvidia, and 512MBs of RAM for a quantum leap in performance. The system will also be the first-ever to support high-def movie-playback out of the box, taking advantage of the upcoming Blu-ray Disc format. Sony claims that PS3 will be roughly 35 times more powerful than PS2. If Mainichi Shimbun is correct, gamers will be asked to pay a hefty price for the high-end functionality." - IGN.COM

It's Gonna be An Expensive Year For Gamers, That's For Sure

Best answers
There expecting us to pay $465?? If that's the price then it'll be a long while before i get one and alot of other people for that matter, i can clearly understand $300 or $350 but damn that's kinda over the top.

Retired
Best answers
ohh yea if you live in canada that price comes out to about $565 CND

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
465 is a bit to much for me. I was going to buy a ps3, but I guess I won't be now.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
$465 is kinda cheap for a next-gen console actually. It's the equivalent of £250. The PS2 retailed over here for £260 and the PS1 for £220 on their first day of release.

I'm guessing that's just the standard PS3...not the all-singing all-dancing one...which burns DVD's, records like a TiVo, comes with a 60gb HDD and has an extra Cell processor...which was estimated $800/£450. That's the one i'm going to try and get.

Best answers
Im sorry but $465 is not cheap anyway u look at it not even for a next gen. Sony wont go through with that, there not crazy, its bad enough there trying to release it during spring and expecting great sales, but now the price?!?! Thats really going to turn people away espically casual gamers who are big sony fans in general. Then the 360 is coming out near the end of the year, that would be a bad marketing price for them and u already know the revolution will probally be the cheapest of the 3.

itr

✔️ HL Verified
🍂 Regular
Best answers
Yes $465 is cheap EVERYWAY you look at it. Dude, there is basically 2 6800 Ultra GPU's in there, thats about $1000 on its own if you buy for a pc, Cell processor, thats custom, lets just say probably $800 easily if bought separately. Then there is all the other stuff on it, if you say its not worth $465 you are crazy.

Best answers
I never said it wasnt worth it did i?? i said it wasnt cheap. There's a diffrence in that. Not everyone, and when i say everyone i mean alot of damn people can shell out nearly $500 for a new game console. Either way u look at it people wont care what kinda chip it has or what kinda specs or any of those numbers, all there going too look at is what games are on it, and how much will it cost and they would be diging there own grave when it comes to sales if they sell it at that price, it way too high regardless if its worth it or not, espically with the others being at a much cheaper prices.

G-Bear
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
itr said:
Yes $465 is cheap EVERYWAY you look at it. Dude, there is basically 2 6800 Ultra GPU's in there, thats about $1000 on its own if you buy for a pc, Cell processor, thats custom, lets just say probably $800 easily if bought separately. Then there is all the other stuff on it, if you say its not worth $465 you are crazy.
You comparing apples with pears.

Also the PS3 is gonna be MASS-produced, unlike the 6800 Ultra.

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
itr said:
Well, whether it's worth it or not, that's too pricey for me, gonna have to wait out a year for it to die down

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
the PS3 launch list doesn't have anything I'd want to get immediately, so I, too, will wait. I'll be saving for the revolution instead.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Magus said:
Well, whether it's worth it or not, that's too pricey for me, gonna have to wait out a year for it to die down
Agreed, and i was even planning on buying a PS3 and Revolution. But i guess i won't anymore. I was assuming it was going to cost 300 tops or no less then 200. So basically 200-300. but 465 is a little over the top for me.

itr

✔️ HL Verified
🍂 Regular
Best answers
I was assuming $500 easily, because I knew it was going to be a big step from ps2, etc. I will be getting ps3 and revolution.

Devion said:
Also the PS3 is gonna be MASS-produced, unlike the 6800 Ultra.
The 6800 U will have to be mass-produced for the ps3, btw.

G-Bear
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
First of all they didnt put a Geforce 6800 U in the ps3, its a modified chip.(G70)

Also the PS3 chip is on 90nm and Geforce 6800 U is on 130nm.(The smaller the more can be layed on 1 wafer)

Like I said you are comparing apples with pears, the console GPU is gonna be massproduced, the 6800 U is just pricy because its scarce and the topmodel of the Geforce 6 series.

Best answers
Wtf am I gonna get 465 dollars???I can hardly buy a new Intel4 processor....and still I don't even have half of the money 4 the processor :O:O:O

Ok...hmm....<>Opening a new company...Crime-life....who wants 2 pick-pocket and "banks jobs" should contact me on 1-800-INEEDMONEY =P<>

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
um... its not a geforce whatever....

its a custom designed chip specificly for the ps2.

and yes, thats too ****ing expensive, 318 dollars for the ps2 was too ****ing expensive

Best answers
Good thing I only buy consoles with zelda on them.

sux to be a PS junkey

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That's funny considering Nintendo is about two steps away from forcing you to buy all their handhelds and peripherals to even beat a game. Heh.

For all the stuff the PS2 does, I don't think that's an unfair price at all. Besides...it won't stay that high. I say it will actually hit 400ish.

Best answers
well then if they stop making zelda I stop playing console its simple logic.

owa

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
they release in spring, but by that Christmas the prices have dropped a bit, and they'll make up the sales. It seems like they'll do bad, but I think overall they'll do REALLY well. Not the first day, but once the price drops a bit they'll make up for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom