Prey

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Omnius said:
Its "uniqueness" makes it interesting? What is so unique about Prey? The aliens? The fact that its up to him to save humanity? Organic weapons? I don't like the game because its the same game I've played many times before, except in a new shell. There is nothing new about Prey. Its just another fps, and as far as I know, most reviewers feel the same way.

I'm really don't understand how any one person's opinion can be wrong, but I'm sure you'll try to help me understand.
Well your opinion's wrong since you make it seem like what you think is what everyone should. You don't like Prey, we figured that out 17 replies ago, get over it.

Anyway, I thought the demo was interesting. My original reply in the other Prey thread was that I didn't think much of this game, but really it is an interesting game nonetheless. I might pick this up at the store whenever I get the chance.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
MC he's just arguing his points, he's not trying to convince anybody else that it's a bad game.

Omni it sounds to me more like you're tired of first person shooters in general. They're all going to involve running around and shooting in the first person, all you can really change are the enviornments and the weapons. Sounds like Prey pulled that off pretty well.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Heres my screenshots. So far I can play it in high-detail just fine.

(Basicly took the screenshots from another forum that i'm registered in.)

This game reminds me alot of Turok, and Turok owns on the N64. Pwnt.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Omnius said:
Its "uniqueness" makes it interesting? What is so unique about Prey? The aliens? The fact that its up to him to save humanity? Organic weapons? I don't like the game because its the same game I've played many times before, except in a new shell. There is nothing new about Prey. Its just another fps, and as far as I know, most reviewers feel the same way.

I'm really don't understand how any one person's opinion can be wrong, but I'm sure you'll try to help me understand.
Do me a favor, and name every FPS where you can move your spirit out of your body. Or any other FPS that that has astral projections.

Every other FPS has what prey has? So in Counter Strike you can use gravity changing mechanisms to alter gravity to go from one room to another correct? Or in Doom3 you can move out of your body to go on the other side of a door and unlock it right? Man you're right, all this was in Half-Life 1 for crying out loud.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
None of these "unique ideas" are new. They've all appeared in other games. Hell, if you really want to "spirit walk" just to turn on a switch, play Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver.

All of these "brand new" elements could have made the game great, but it just fell short. There really is no point in having spirit walking. Walking upside down is fantastic, but its the same thing as walking on the floor/ceiling depending on your perspective. There isn't a major difference. Portals are interesting, but after awhile you'll always know when they are going appear and where.

MC, I stated my opinion and people began arguing with it. I am explaining why I don't like the game. You have only played the demo, so until you do, you probably shouldn't comment on the game.

Chris`, I understand that you don't agree with me. That is fine. I respect the fact that you hold a mediocre game in high regard. I expect you to respect my opinion as well.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I found the game boring. As said by many other gamers, it's just a Doom v3.1 for me. Nothing really new, same Doom 3 graphics, portals, well as said by Omnius, they get predictable. Seriously, can someone stop with the whole "Aliens take over the world" idea and it's spinnoffs? The only good "Alien" game is the Half Life-series IMO. Definitly the ressurection thing is crap. You don't have to care about dieing, you just play a stupid mini game shooting some spirits, and poof! You're alive again. That takes the thrill out of a game...

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Don't forget about the Aliens vs. Predator series! Awesome premise and awesome gameplay. The graphics weren't half bad when they were released either. Thats an example of a game that has unique concepts.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I was going to get this game, but it really didn't appeal to me. Another Doom 3-indoor-based game isn't what I'm looking for (as I just finished Quake 4).

Also, call me a pussy, but I like it if a game has, even-little, squad mechanics. That made me love Brothers in Arms more than Call of Duty 2.

So, Prey isn't on my list, but I'll be sure to get it if I need something refreshing.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
bapplebo said:
Also, call me a pussy, but I like it if a game has, even-little, squad mechanics. That made me love Brothers in Arms more than Call of Duty 2.
You should check out GRAW (Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter), it's all about the squad mechanics.

As for this game, it looks like Turok + Soul Reaver + Doom 3. I'm sure that's been mentioned already.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Smith| said:
But it's so great!

Here's some images:

Some XB360 Shots

It plays like HL2 + Quake 4 + Doom 3 + Clive Barker's Undying + Jedi Knight 2 all in one.
May I ask what gfx settings you were playing at and how what your fps was like?. Looks like I might need to upgrade from my 9600pro eventually, I'll see if my brother can bring me back a cheap 6800 when he's in singapore so i can Unlock the extra pipes on it and oc it a bit.

Looks like I'll have to paly it on low/med settings for now, I might be getting prey this weekend.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Are those screenshots in-game or FMV? No HUD...

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Those were like the first screenshots released of the game. I don't think it's accurate to show them as the games graphics.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sub said:
Those were like the first screenshots released of the game. I don't think it's accurate to show them as the games graphics.
It looks about same as mine when I play o_O. And those weren't the first screenshots of the game. Prey was originally going to be released on the Unreal (1) engine and there was even a video of it from E3. Was probably amazing back then, but, hah, nothing now.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
My 9800 runs it fine on medium @ 1024x968. No AA or AS though, not that I mind. The demo quickly feels like the same-old same-old we've had from FPS's lately, but with a couple neat additions. The gravity stuff was fun, but I wish the view wouldn't shift as you walk between the floor and the walls, and all the portals were cool... I even managed to shoot myself to death.

Fun demo, not worth the retail. Cool graphics though, gotta say.

G-Bear
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Prey worked fine on my 7900GT, besides some artifacts ;_;.....

It should run well on 6600GT on medium/high settings, as prey is an optimized engine of Doom 3, if I'm correct.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Omnius said:
None of these "unique ideas" are new. They've all appeared in other games. Hell, if you really want to "spirit walk" just to turn on a switch, play Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver.

All of these "brand new" elements could have made the game great, but it just fell short. There really is no point in having spirit walking. Walking upside down is fantastic, but its the same thing as walking on the floor/ceiling depending on your perspective. There isn't a major difference. Portals are interesting, but after awhile you'll always know when they are going appear and where.

MC, I stated my opinion and people began arguing with it. I am explaining why I don't like the game. You have only played the demo, so until you do, you probably shouldn't comment on the game.

Chris`, I understand that you don't agree with me. That is fine. I respect the fact that you hold a mediocre game in high regard. I expect you to respect my opinion as well.

Never said I didn't respect your opinion. You're putting words into my mouth.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
I never said that you said you didn't respect my opinion. You're putting words into my mouth. However, you did attack my opinion. There's no reason for this little dispute to carry on since it was buried a page back. Time to move on. Please feel free to pm me for personal matters i.e. putting words into your mouth.

G-Bear
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
frsrblch said:
Is your card OC'ed?
No dead.....:p

I already RMA'd it, it was a faulty Asus EN7900GT ;_;

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer